You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-23 15:48

WxManII

32 bit install goes to console mode not Trinity

Hey folks.  Got tired of tripping over an old HP Pavilion XE736 and decided I'd put it in the garage for access to how-to info on the internet when working on vehicles.  Since the machine had Win98 on it I figured I needed a modern OS, and so I turned to Linux and looked for a lightweight distro.  Seemed like Q4OS was the answer.

Hardware wise, this thing has 128 MB of RAM, 10 GB of HDD and an Intel i810 family video onboard.

Installing Q4OS I was forced to use "low memory mode" and when the system boots it comes up in text (console) mode with no desktop support.  I was really hoping to be able to use the Trinity desktop because I need to be able to view Youtube videos, read graphical web pages and pdfs in the garage.

On a related note, tried to install on a VirtualBox VM with similar specs from the same ISO I burned my install CD from, and that crashes - although on the physical machine the install seems to go just fine with no errors.

I know I'm missing something stupidly simple here, but you know what they say about having another set (or many more sets) of eyes on a problem...

Thanks for any help!

#2 2021-06-23 20:17

aluma

Re: 32 bit install goes to console mode not Trinity

There won't be a miracle! smile
Electronics becomes obsolete morally rather than physically out of order.
The 32-bit system itself occupies about 130 MB of memory.
A used dual-core netbook with gigabytes of memory in my city costs less than 128MB for your laptop on amazon.co.uk.

#3 2021-06-23 20:30

WxManII

Well now, that's somewhat disappointing, given that I made my decision to install Q4OS based on the following:

The minimal hardware requirements:
Plasma desktop - 1GHz CPU / 1GB RAM / 5GB disk
Trinity desktop - 300MHz CPU / 128MB RAM / 3GB disk

#4 2021-06-24 02:42

detoo

My old Windows XP-era / Q4OS Scorpion machine (P4 / 2.2G processor / 1.5G RAM) no longer works well with YouTube because its current interface requires a lot more power than that.

#5 2021-06-24 09:45

aluma

WxManII wrote:

Well now, that's somewhat disappointing, given that I made my decision to install Q4OS based on the following:

The minimal This is mistake. hardware requirements:...
Trinity desktop - 300MHz CPU / 128MB RAM / 3GB disk

This is mistake.
"4.2.   

What kind of hardware do I need to run TDE ?

To run TDE consider at least a Pentium III processor, 512MB of memory, and 500MB of free disk space for a basic installation. A full installation will require about 3GB of hard drive storage space. While TDE will run on slower hardware, performance likely will require some patience. Generally, if your computer runs other desktop environments then the hardware probably is capable of running TDE."

https://www.trinitydesktop.org/faq/inst … 7998761408

#6 2021-06-24 12:42

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@WxManII
Your video card is likely incompatible with Q4OS drivers. Please post more detailed info, read https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502

The minimum hardware requirements for Trinity/i386 matches, however you will only be able to run the OS itself and lightweight Trinity applications. You will not be able to watch either youtube or any videos.
qg0039.png

#7 2021-06-24 17:45

WxManII

So then essentially, the same requirements in place as to run Debian....

#8 2021-06-24 17:53

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

No, the hardware requirements to run Q4OS Trinity desktop are lesser then other regular Debian desktops. Trinity desktop is much more lightweight.

#9 2021-06-24 20:06

aluma

With all due respect ..., consider the hardware, when loading only the OS, a swap is involved ... this is masochism. smile
Plus a 10 GB hard drive with its read speed and interface.
In addition, it is not so much about the OS itself, it is needed to run applications. and with this, with such a configuration, a complete failure! FF or Chromium will require more RAM than the OS itself, and with low load on modern sites, the processor will simply choke.
If you just need to look at something on such a computer, WinXP will cope with a lot, except for Internet, where it picks up viruses.
And for a car, in my experience, it is much easier to use a tablet or smartphone to see errors.

#10 2021-06-24 20:25

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Again, you can use the complete Trinity ecosystem, it's quite snappy and usable on such low powered machines despite the active swap. Trinity even performs over Windows XP.

#11 2021-06-25 15:51

Cheker

I feel like while you could get away with installing the OS, the moment you need to browse the internet it's game over. 128MB is straight up not enough, web browsers and the internet itself, Youtube a notorious example, are too bloated.

#12 2021-06-25 17:45

Tolkem

Cheker wrote:

I feel like while you could get away with installing the OS, the moment you need to browse the internet it's game over. 128MB is straight up not enough, web browsers and the internet itself, Youtube a notorious example, are too bloated.

Not entirely true, you can use links2 http://links.twibright.com/features.php to browse. It uses very little RAM(around 10 MiB), and ca be used from terminal or in GUI mode. I use it when just need to read something and don't want to use a full-blown browser such as FF or Chromium.  And according to this feature as listed in the link above: Possibility to hook up external programs for all MIME types, possibility to choose one of more programs at every opening I think you could copy the youtube link, and pass it to something like vlc or mpv, not sure though since I've never tried.

G5W5xy2.png

a4pbTvw.png

c07LESc.png

To install, just open konsole and run

sudo apt-get install links2

type in your password when asked, hit enter and that's it. It is only a 3 MiB download.

EDIT: Yup. Just tried, and it is possible to pass a YouTube link to mpv, you'll need to install youtube-dl as well as mpv. Then launch links2, search for a video, copy the link, launch konsole and type mpv and paste the video URL

mpv https://youtube_url_video

it uses a lot less memory than watching the video on YouTube smile

Last edited by Tolkem (2021-06-25 18:23)

#13 2021-06-25 18:24

aluma

But you're right, looking at pictures and reading the text is quite convenient and works smartly.

In the days of dialup, I often used Links, mainly in graphical mode, and then and now it does not display sites quite correctly.

PS. Just to make life easier for a computer in ancient times, I ran Links under Window Maker. smile

Last edited by aluma (2021-06-25 18:41)

Attachments:
jpg снимок58.jpg, Size: 96.73 KiB, Downloads: 278

Board footer