You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-03 16:23

barneycat74

How to open rar archives in Q4OS.

I have an archive file in rar format but I can't figure out how to open it. I have tried opening it in the ark archive program, but it sees the archive as empty, whereas on my android phone I can view the contents of the rar file. Is there a simple way to open these types of file in Q4OS? Thanks.

#2 2016-12-03 16:28

MC

Re: How to open rar archives in Q4OS.

Hello again, barneycat74.

You have to install "unrar" to open rar files. You can do this in synaptic, or in the terminal run;

sudo apt-get install unrar

Q4OS running Xfce

#3 2016-12-03 16:47

barneycat74

Hi thanks MC for your quick response. Got it working now, thank you! :-)

#4 2017-04-19 10:02

FlexQ4

Here, in my 1.8.3 environment the unrar works nicely as standalone, in console. Opening a .rar archive in konq with Ark however, shows me a blank Ark-window.
Is there any link from Ark to unrar which i have to set up manually?
Thanks

#5 2017-04-19 11:47

Dai_trying

I had a problem creating a rar file for testing, and realised I needed the rar package to create a rar-file. I don't know if it will make a difference but you could try installing rar to see if it helps.

After installing rar I created and read the rar file using ark without issue. smile

One thing to check would be if the rar file is password protected, I had an issue in the past and ended up having to use the command-line to extract the contents

EDIT: Just tested extraction with password in Scorpion and everything is working fine, so that might not still be an issue.

Last edited by Dai_trying (2017-04-19 11:59)

#6 2017-04-20 15:55

FlexQ4

No, the rar-archive is not password protected.
Maybe there is missing a File Association configuration in Konq. Here the Application preference is set to Ark rather than to Unrar (see the attached snapshot).

One additional question: (Where) can i find an icon-set, that provides different icons for the different types of archives (Zip, TAR, Rar, 7z)?

Thank you!

Attachments:
png Rar_Files.png, Size: 23.1 KiB, Downloads: 689

#7 2017-04-20 16:19

Dai_trying

FlexQ4 wrote:

Maybe there is missing a File Association configuration in Konq. Here the Application preference is set to Ark rather than to Unrar (see the attached snapshot).

Ark(-trinity) handles the rar archive without issue on my system, one thing to check though is whether the file is actually a rar archive, I had an issue where a file had the rar extension but was not actually a rar archive,

file /path/to/archive_name.rar

should give you the file type, something like "RAR archive data" should be found. If it is a correct rar file then I can only think that it uses a compression routine not currently known to your version of unrar.  Scorpion verion = 1:5.3.2-1, Orion version = 1:5.2.7-0. Although I don't know without searching what the differences are between the two versions.

FlexQ4 wrote:

One additional question: (Where) can i find an icon-set, that provides different icons for the different types of archives (Zip, TAR, Rar, 7z)?

You can use any icon you want for each archive type by simply clicking on the icon in the screenshot you posted and it will open an "icon selection dialog" you can choose your preferred icon to use, and if you cant see one you want a google search on "archive icon" will give you many results to choose from.

#8 2017-04-20 18:15

FlexQ4

Thanks Dai, the file itself is definitely ok:

me@flex5:~/Dokumente/Musik\> file 36_-_Hyperson.rar
36_-_Hyperson.rar: RAR archive data, v1d, os: Win32

and it's correctly processed by unrar (free version).

Is there any possibility to retrieve some diagnostic/error messages from konq/Ark which are logged eventally, once i double-click on the rar-file (what leads to a blank Ark-Window)?

#9 2017-04-20 19:13

Dai_trying

I just looked through the help pages and there doesn't appear to be a debug option, maybe Q4OS Team will be able to help on that...

I am wondering if it has something to do with it being a Win32 file but I would imagine it should still work.

If that file has nothing "sensitive" in it, would it be possible to post it? or of it's downloadable somewhere maybe point a link there?

#10 2017-04-20 22:36

FlexQ4

Dai_trying wrote:

I am wondering if it has something to do with it being a Win32 file but I would imagine it should still work.

So do not i think, since it extraxts well in the cosole.

It wasn't that easy, but i found a small, handy .rar archive as an example on the web here:
http://www.dtt.tw/upload/iblock/a46/bri_dbg.rar

Dai_trying wrote:

If that file has nothing "sensitive" in it, would it be possible to post it?

No, just stunning music from the UK: https://3six.bandcamp.com/album/hypersona-2
(Though imo, Dennis has even stronger releaseas, like Lithea)

#11 2017-04-20 22:50

Dai_trying

That file opened in ark without issue for me (using Scorpion), so I fired up Orion in a VM and tried it there, first I didn't have unrar so installed that and still blank ark contents, then I installed rar and everything works without issue, maybe you missed where I said it might help in #5. smile

#12 2017-04-21 14:26

FlexQ4

Dai_trying wrote:

... I installed rar and everything works without issue, maybe you missed where I said it might help in #5. smile

Shame on me, indeed, i missed that you wrote you did install rar to unrar. Sorry about that.

#13 2017-04-21 14:46

Dai_trying

That's ok, I didn't really notice the relevance until I tried opening the rar file in the VM without having rar installed first. Alls well that ends well eh. smile

Board footer