You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-27 19:03

FlexQ4

Some Firefox related Effects

Dear folks,

this time i'm here to harass you with a couple of Firefox "issues":

Firefox 1.5:
---------------
About 10 years old but i like it much: lean, fast and rock stable (i don't remember one single crash) - at least @Windows.
Installing it on Q4 however (after apt-get of libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386 and libstdc++5 libraries) it showed up some severe errors:

- Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy:  crashes immediately:
*** Error in `./firefox-bin': munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0x0a364f20 ***Aborted

- Right-click on a toolbar -> Customize...  crahes:
*** Error in `./firefox-bin': double free or corruption (!prev): 0x08ec70b0 *** Aborted

- dragging and dropping .xpi files in the Add-on-window doesn't work:
(gecko:28580): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_drag_get_data: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

Addressing business users with q4os  perhaps you care about issues with older software/libraries; so maybe you're interested in this, maybe not.

Firefox 10.0.12:
---------------------
Last version working with Win2k. stable and fast, also on Q4, it starts within a second (conventionally fast HD, C2Duo@GHz). Not yet bloated up  too much with social and and other crap, i like to use it for visiting simple and serious
news sites & forums (like q4os.org wink) besides Pale Moon.

Firefox 27.0:
------------
Ok, this one is 1 or 2 versions before Mozilla started to poison the fox with Australis and other rubbish, but: it finally supported mp3 on Win-XP (so i was lucky to kick Flash out of that system) and (thanks to gstreamer) i am able to watch even html5-video content under Q4OS... everything fine with it despite two glitches:

- it starts VERY slowly; up to 10 seconds (first run) and 5-6 sec afterwards  (same fast HD) - Compare that with the single
  second of version 10 !
  How slowly does a current Version (52?) of FF start nowadays??

- The second thing concerns Palemoon as well: After having set up Q4OS the  first time (with kpersonalizer.tde2 & 
  kcontrol.tde2) i did a screenshot  which i posted here:

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170312/9g36nqwx.png

(the desktop is a matter of taste, but) please take a look at Firefox and it's Forward-button (in between the round
"Back" and the "Reload" button): It was one filled polygonal Arrow.

Now, after setting up q4os the recommended way (using the control panel apps) the Forward button in Firefox/Palmoon has changed, it now looks like

/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/actions/go-next.png  (like "dot dot >").

I never would have bothered about a single button, really, but unfortunately  i spotted that difference (while viewing at the old snapshot by chance) and so i feel a bit insecure...

Anyway, please don't care about me using some older versions of Firefox, my standard browser is Palemoon, latest version, hardened with Noscript, ABL and Requestpolicy add-ons wink and i'm content with it.

Thank you for reading,

Flex

#2 2017-03-27 20:38

BobbyBee

Re: Some Firefox related Effects

I don't think old browsers are worth keeping, because many websites no longer support it. You will most likely see html table content mixed up etc. I even experience this with Palemoon 24 (the last version supporting XP).

Regarding the button, you can always try to install a theme, although it will be difficult to find one supporting Firefox 10.

Change is not always easy and I for one really don't like the bare-bone browser interfaces with big tabs on top without the traditional menu-bar. But they're forcing this upon users no matter what. Palemoon is probably the best alternative.

Q4OS 1.8.3 Orion i386, amd64

#3 2017-03-28 07:22

bin

To get GTK apps to play nicely with Q4OS:-
First step is to install the GTK Styles and Fonts support:-
sudo apt-get install gtk-qt-engine-trinity gtk3-tqt-engine-trinity

Look in Control Centre>Appearance & Themes and you'll see GTK Styles and Fonts.
Configure to taste. I normally install clearlooks-phenix-theme as it matches Trinity's Plastik very well for GTK3, Clearlooks does the same for GTK2 and these go very well with the Win XP theme but not sure how they'll look with Win2K/Win95/Classic that you are using.

Second step in Control Centre>Appearance & Themes>Colours
Uncheck 'Apply colours to non-TDE applications.

This works fine for GTK2 and GTK3.

Firefox 51.01 64bit - 7 seconds on a 2006 Dell 1501 laptop - with SSD. Palemoon and Seamonkey about the same.

With regard to your FF versions, I assume that you have them each pointing to a different profile? If they are all using the same ~/.mozilla/firefox then you can be sure of a few issues along the way.

#4 2017-03-28 11:21

FlexQ4

bin wrote:

Configure to taste.

Thank you bin, i'll try that later and will report my gtk experiences here...

bin wrote:

Firefox 51.01 64bit - 7 seconds on a 2006 Dell 1501 laptop - with SSD. Palemoon and Seamonkey about the same.

Thanks for the info - and that indeed exceeds my worst expectations wink

bin wrote:

With regard to your FF versions, I assume that you have them each pointing to a different profile?

Yes of course (and with the -no-remote option it's even possible to run them side by side).
But for my purposes Palemoon fits best, alongsid the yet unbloated Firefox 10 (to have direct access to some news-sites and forums without searching them in a dozend of tabs).

See you, then

#5 2017-03-28 15:38

FlexQ4

Hello Bobby

BobbyBee wrote:

I don't think old browsers are worth keeping, because many websites no longer support it.

Accepted, but i do actually think they're worth it: They start up rapidly like a notpad, don't waste resources, an i know to use them blindly..

BobbyBee wrote:

You will most likely see html table content mixed up etc. I even experience this with Palemoon 24 (the last version supporting XP).

I disagree: q4os.org e.g.  shows up perfectly - even in FF 1.5!  And btw. there are many sites around that do show me a blank screen, even in newest Palemoon, urging me to permit them js, cross-site-scripting, tracking stuff and so on... In most cases i'll dont visit them further...

BobbyBee wrote:

Regarding the button, you can always try to install a theme, although it will be difficult to find one supporting Firefox 10.

Maybe i was not clear: the point is not at all the button itself - it has changed, and it's perhaps interesting to find out the cause why!

BobbyBee wrote:

Change is not always easy and I for one really don't like the bare-bone browser interfaces with big tabs on top without the traditional menu-bar. But they're forcing this upon users no matter what. Palemoon is probably the best alternative.

I consent totally - the best mix of newest tech  but as less social/telemetry/patronizing trash as possible.

#6 2017-03-28 18:10

BobbyBee

I disagree: q4os.org e.g.  shows up perfectly - even in FF 1.5!  And btw. there are many sites around that do show me a blank screen, even in newest Palemoon, urging me to permit them js, cross-site-scripting, tracking stuff and so on... In most cases i'll dont visit them further...

Yes, the Q4OS website is a perfect example of adhering to HTML 1.1 as recommended by W3C, and there are other websites who do the same. HTML 4.01 Transitional will also do just fine.

Q4OS 1.8.3 Orion i386, amd64

#7 2017-03-29 03:02

FlexQ4

bin wrote:

Configure to taste.

Well, i got the "gtk-qt-engine-trinity" package (gtk3-lib was yet installead), changed the GTK-Styles several times (Clearlooks as well), re-logged in each time, but the Palemoon/Firefox Navigation-Icons didn't change at all...

But anyway, not so important: i encountered a  much more severe (TDE-related problem), but for telling it i need a _simple_ grafic-tool (able to paste in a screenshot, cut an area out of it, draw e.g. a circle/text, and save that as a jpeg/png file).
I tried 
- Libre-Office-Draw: pasting the screenshot works, but no chance to take a selection of an area
- Pinta: doesn't paste (Ctrl-V) the screenshot (!), throws exceptions... it even takes 15 seconds to close!!!
- FOTOXX: i was not able to start this at all, it hang up while creating an "index/DB" - of whatever.
- tbc...

#8 2017-03-29 06:28

bin

Hope you also did this.

The GTK settings tool allows you to isolate GTK apps appearance from the influences of KDE which can help identify issues

Attached is my Palemoon - I use Plastik for Window Decorations and Styles and Clearlooks/Clearlooks-Phenix as described

You are using XPQ4
When trying to identify application appearance issues with Trinity - or any DE - always revert to the basic settings as a starting point.
Get rid of animations, glossy effects (compositor etc)
If the app looks OK then apply changes till it doesn't.
That will be the cause.

mtpaint or kolourpaint-trinity
Libreoffice Draw is a vector based app - you'd be better served by a bitmap app such as those above.

Attachments:
jpg palemoon.jpg, Size: 20.18 KiB, Downloads: 644

#9 2017-03-29 06:40

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@FlexQ4
We would recommend to use 'ksnapshot-trinity' and 'kolourpaint-trinity' as suggested by bin above.

LibreOffice Draw is not suitable to edit a bitmap graphic. Pinta and Fottox works fine here, on a fresh Q4OS Orion 64bit in Virtualbox. If you would like to solve mentioned issues run them in terminal and paste output here.

#10 2017-03-29 12:08

FlexQ4

q4osteam wrote:

@FlexQ4
We would recommend to use 'ksnapshot-trinity' and 'kolourpaint-trinity' as suggested by bin above.

Thanks &Sorry - didn't find them by myself...

q4osteam wrote:

Pinta and Fottox works fine here, on a fresh Q4OS Orion 64bit in Virtualbox. If you would like to solve mentioned issues run them in terminal and paste output here.

my bad karma wink...  maybe i'll do that later...

@Bin:

bin wrote:

I tried this as well, has no effect on the back/forward buttons of PM/FF. Attachment schows the difference in those two buttons perfectly, all otther buttons are identical. It's not grave, but i had exactly ,your' buttons earlier and still wonder about that change...

I soon return with a topic more important.

Attachments:
png palemoon.png, Size: 112.43 KiB, Downloads: 830

#11 2017-03-29 14:40

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You might want to remove 'adwaita-icon-theme' package to get the initial icons.

#12 2017-03-29 16:00

bin

I have the adwaita icons still installed - if you try to remove it it will want to take out all sorts of stuff including Synaptic. You can get round this by just ignoring refence to adwaita in the config files

In the root of your user there are 4 .gtkrc files.

.gtkrc-2.0-kde4  .gtkrc-2.0-kde-kde4  .gtkrc-q4os  .gtkrc-q4os-kde4

In each one set
gtk-theme-name="Clearlooks"

If you have XPQ4 installed you should have q4os-nuvola icon theme, so set
gtk-icon-theme-name="q4os-nuvola"
in those files that mention gtk-icon-theme-name in the first place - not all do.

For good measure, edit ~./config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini set
gtk-theme-name = Clearlooks-Phenix

note no " " in this file

#13 2017-03-29 17:42

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bin wrote:

I have the adwaita icons still installed - if you try to remove it it will want to take out all sorts of stuff including Synaptic. You can get round this by just ignoring refence to adwaita in the config files

Yes, it's much better then removing the package. Thanks bin.

#14 2017-03-30 01:43

FlexQ4

Hi bin.

bin wrote:

In the root of your user there are 4 .gtkrc files.

.gtkrc-2.0-kde4  .gtkrc-2.0-kde-kde4  .gtkrc-q4os  .gtkrc-q4os-kde4

In each one set
gtk-theme-name="Clearlooks"

The last two hours i spent now tweaking around here, trying "Clearlooks", "Redmond", "Qt", edititing those 4 files, or via "GTK styles and settings" in the control panel: nothing changed those two buttons.
Neither for Firefox 10, nor 27, nor latest Palemoon - All of them show _exactly_  the same strange back/forward buttons as attached.

Could you eventually post ,your' 4 files here?
What does the entry "gtk-button-images=0" in the .gtkrc-q4os-kde4  mean?

bin wrote:

If you have XPQ4 installed you should have q4os-nuvola icon theme, so set
gtk-icon-theme-name="q4os-nuvola"
in those files that mention gtk-icon-theme-name in the first place - not all do.

No, i haven't ever - feeling very comfortable with Q4OS_Classic theme and color scheme "Redmond 2000".

bin wrote:

For good measure, edit ~./config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini set
gtk-theme-name = Clearlooks-Phenix
note no " " in this file

Mine is as:
[Settings]
gtk-theme-name = Q4OS01
gtk-icon-theme-name = tdegtk-icon-theme
gtk-fallback-icon-theme = tdegtk-fallback-icon-theme

(Whitch imo should have no effect to the 2 older FF versions as they base on gtk+2 rather than gtk+3).

Anyway,  Googleing for "tdegtk-icon-theme" [exact match] shows up just 1 (one) single entry !?

Attachments:
png back-forth.png, Size: 2.7 KiB, Downloads: 598

#15 2017-03-30 06:42

bin

Anyway,  Googleing for "tdegtk-icon-theme" [exact match] shows up just 1 (one) single entry !?

I think you and I are using a different Google smile

anyhoo - I've messed around on my system and have not been able to get palemoon to display your icons - though I do recognise them from the old days. I'll give it a whirl with the live-cd later and see what that throws up as there may be other factors involved on my machine which are skewing the results.

#16 2017-03-30 07:01

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bin wrote:

... I've messed around on my system and have not been able to get palemoon to display your icons ...

You could try to fiddle with different icon sets 'gtk-icon-theme-name=..' in .gtkrc.. config files:
- hicolor
- Adwaita
- Gnome
- crystalsvg
- nuvola
- etc...

FlexQ4 wrote:

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name = Q4OS01
gtk-icon-theme-name = tdegtk-icon-theme
gtk-fallback-icon-theme = tdegtk-fallback-icon-theme

'tdegtk-icon-theme' has been probably set by 'gtk-qt-engine-trinity' or 'gtk3-tqt-engine-trinity' tool from control panel.

#17 2017-03-30 07:22

bin

OK I've tried with live-cd and palemoon shows same icons as I reported previously so they're coming from somewhere else.
I've one other idea to try.

#18 2017-03-30 11:39

FlexQ4

bin wrote:

I think you and I are using a different Google smile

It's google.de, i have attached the search results below for exact match; (without the apostrophs it finds about 40 entries)

bin wrote:

anyhoo - I've messed around on my system and have not been able to get palemoon to display your icons -

bin, i appreciate your kind engagement, but i also feel somwhat uncomfortable seeing you investing so much time likewise.
If you are really interested in finding out the cause for that effect, ok, but please don't feel obligeted at all!

bin wrote:

- though I do recognise them from the old days

That is exactly my impression, viewing different screenshots of PM/FF on the web.

How do you btw did install PM? I simply extracted the  .tar.bz2 archive in my home an run it like
> /home/me/Programs/Palemoon-27.2/palemoon' -p "<profilename>"
(just the same as for the foxes).

Attachments:
png tdegkt-icon-theme_de.png, Size: 21.64 KiB, Downloads: 644

#19 2017-03-30 12:23

FlexQ4

Just another obsevation:
PM (and FF as well) simply _refuse_ on applying the system set colors/theme within the frame, as shown in the attachment.
They allways keep the the same greyish colors (what is ok for me, but a kind of activity denial as well).

Attachments:
png pm-remains.png, Size: 46.76 KiB, Downloads: 695

#20 2017-03-30 16:09

bin

No worries - it's a little frustrating as what we're really trying to do is identify what it is in your setup that is causing this disparity.

It *looks* like palemoon is somehow inheriting or utilising something from Firefox. You could test this by loading up the live-cd, copying the palemoon binary folder to the adminq home and then just running the palemoon binary - it'll look fine.

If it were my system I would simply move the firefox binary folder and the profile folder you are using for it to another folder in your home drive outside your own area. You need to use sudo to create that folder, then as your normal user just move the firefox 1.5 and its profile folder to the new place. You could use an external drive instead if that's easier.

Do you provide the full path to the ./moonchild productions/pale moon/xyz.profile? in your launch command? or do you keep the xzy.profile at the same level as your other folders and files e.g /home/me/xyz.profile?

I do just launch pm from the folder in my home - which is wrong but sufficient for this purpose.

#21 2017-03-30 22:27

FlexQ4

Thanks bin, i tried it with the life-usb: copied the FF/PM folders to adminq and it all went correct, showed the usual back-Forth buttons! As well with the profiles i use (copied them too). So it's prooved: binaries, profiles and the addons are clean!

Further i installed the look-switcher on the life-system, changed looks to q4-classic, and FF/PM showed again the ,correct' buttons.

The whole action clarifies: my programs/profile setup should be ok, since i _cloned_ it on the life-system (no doubt about launching the correct ones: they come up SO MUCH faster from ram! wink

Returned to the regular system: Here i ran the
sh /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/bin/default_desktop_settings.sh
for a total reset of the desktop settings - but the both ,wrong' buttons remain.

Conclusion: it must be something beyond the binaries, my profiles and beyond any desktop-settings.

What do you think about a complete re-instalation of the gtk/2/3 subsystem/libraries? Could anything have caused a ,damage' to it?

bin wrote:

Do you provide the full path to the ./moonchild productions/pale moon/xyz.profile? in your launch command? or do you keep the xzy.profile at the same level as your other folders and files e.g /home/me/xyz.profile?

I do just launch pm from the folder in my home - which is wrong but sufficient for this purpose.

I do exactly the same; my profile is located directly within the program folder (for easy portability purpose) e.g.

[Profile1]
Name=Palemoon 27.2
IsRelative=0
Path=/home/me/Programs/Palemoon-27.2/user/default
Default=1

and it's launched with  '/home/me/Programs/Palemoon-27.2/palemoon' -p "Palemoon 27.2"

Thanks again, and bye!

#22 2017-04-02 19:51

FlexQ4

So i spent this day with re-installing q4os (1.8.2) ( not only in regards of this ,icon issue').

Repeating this procedure the third time it ran smoothly and breezily (i prefer the "basic" setup of the desktop-profiler)
After installing the versions of Firefox & Palemoon (checked the initial buttons: ok) i configured the desktop looks, utilizing:
- kpersonalizer.tde2,
- lookswitcher,
- Controlpanel -> Appearance&themes -> Colors
so that it all fitted my taste.

After _each_ step i re-logged in to mistrustfully control the both buttons in FF and PM, but they were still ok!

I installed all the basic stuff (inxi, conky, sysinfo etc.), each time controlling the buttons; Dai's Theme backup, and did the first desktop-backup: At this point the buttons were still fine.

Then i decided to have some Music (the codes were installed already earlier) and did three things:

1) i installed  Audacious, Qmmp (and -i think- also ksensors.trinity), via synaptic, at one go

2) ran ksensors the first time to configure it,

3) and started Audacious:
   Because having copied a "~/.config/audacious" configuration before, it did start with it's winamp- rather than it's GTK-interface. and secondly, it came up with a playlist loaded. However: the [Win-NTFS-] partition (containing those mp3-files listed) was not yet mounted, what caused audacious (after pressing 'Play') to put out some error-messages.

With the intention to google about this behavior, guess what: i noticed the change of the Back/Forth buttons in Firefox and Palemoon.

I'm done for today but rather sure: one of those three apps is responsible for the icon-change in FF/PM.
Maybe i can clarify and render it more precisely in a live-session. Unfortunately i've got only 2 Gig's of RAM on this machine...

Last edited by FlexQ4 (2017-04-02 19:52)

#23 2017-04-03 06:15

bin

Well done. I'd suggest that you get the latest Q4OS as there have been updates since 1.8.2 and use that in a live session.
Try booting live and just installing audacious - don't worry about the other stuff to start with. In Synaptic you can click a drop down arrow to show progress - it also shows what is being done. If that does prove to be the culprit you can copy and paste that text to help debug. I wonder if it installs a plugin of some sort that is causing it?  Same applies to qmmp. Once you're on the debug trail just make one change at a time.
Good luck!

#24 2017-04-16 03:27

FlexQ4

Unfortunately i wasn't lucky enough to reproduce the effect in a live session. (And it was a hard work, since i first had to add some extra RAM to my system).
I started live, installed nearly everything i''ve installed in the real system and after 2-3 houres of working & doing.... nothing:
the icons of the back/forwar buttons of Firefox and Pale Monn remained the originals.

Bin, above you posted a scrennshot of ,your' Palemoon: https://www.q4os.org/forum/attachment.php?item=213

It shows the ,original' back/forth buttons, BUT: besides the reload and home buttons, which are the same as in my PM/FF!

So my question now is: where are those( GTK2-) icons stored in Q4OS? And how can i view (and eventually change) them.

In my case there seem to be missing something: Gathering more information abot Trinity, i found that page here:
http://netrunner-mag.com/2014/01/25/the … t-trinity/

and it shows a "Trinity Control Center":
http://netrunner-mag.com/wp-content/upl … themes.png

that has much more entries under 'Appearance & Themes" than mine (-> attachment).

Particularly there are missing "GTK Styles & Fonts", "Icons" and "Styles"...

Attachments:
png Trinity Control.png, Size: 204.9 KiB, Downloads: 686

#25 2017-04-16 05:30

bin

sudo kcmodules --unlock
copy /opt/trinity/bin/kcontrol.tde2 to your desktop and rename to Control Centre - this is what I use and was the default in the old days.

As to the Palemoon icons - I can only guess that they are hardwired into the Palemoon Default theme in some way and reference possible sets in /usr/share/icons or ~/.icons or possibly even stuff they may find in other local Moz based apps.

This looks like a good starting point - I am sorry but once we start getting to userChrome.css my mind goes blank!

Last edited by bin (2017-04-16 05:34)

Board footer