You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-25 14:56

Rezonance

Can't connect to wifi

I installed q4os. after the reboot, the system offered to connect to wifi, I connected. then the system offered to install the localization pack, I agreed. got an error that there is no internet connection.

the desktop loaded, I disconnected from wifi and reconnected to my hotspot.

got an error: "Connection attempt failed!
Secrets were required to establish a connection, but no secrets were available"

how to fix the error and start the initial download and installation of applications and the localization pack?

#2 2023-04-04 19:39

doglover

Re: Can't connect to wifi

Hi. Same problem here. Just installed the Tritiny version. Using an older laptop with a Belkin Broadcom Cardbus card. Works fine in Puppy (ubuntu versions, not slackware) and older versions of Ubuntu. Trying to find a minimal distribution with a more modern browser, most websites stopped working for with the older browsers.
The OS recognizes the card, which is very nice, the lights come on. The network tool sees my wifi network, but won't accept the password, get the same secrets error.
Thanks for helping.
By the way, the install from CD took a really long time. But finally got there so all good I guess.
Take care, best
IMF

#3 2023-04-04 21:40

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Trinity desktop:
Right click on the network manager icon in system tray > edit connections > select wireless connection > click edit connection button > go through all steps of the guide and enter proper values > confirm Ok

Another way is to use terminal tool "nmtui", what is desktop environment independent. So run in any terminal:
$ nmtui
and setup your wifi

#4 2023-04-07 01:21

doglover

Thank you. Tried the network manager again, still not working, still asking for secrets, not sure what secrets are.
Will try mntui next.
I know it can work, works in puppy linux.
Will let you know if nmtui works.
Will try version 3.16 prior version also.
Best
IMF

#5 2023-04-08 14:05

doglover

tried nmtui also, and same issues. It wants some secrets, but not providing. I'm using wired for the moment, but unless I can figure out what the system is asking for, I guess it isn't going to work. I will continue to browse the internet for answers, but welcome any suggestions. Thank you.

#6 2023-04-09 06:44

bin

@Rezonance I think the clue may be in the use of the word 'hotspot'. If you are not connecting to it by wifi then how would you do it? Perhaps some more details about the connection would help diagnose the problem.
Please open konsole and do

inxi -SMCGx

then copy and paste the results

@doglover
Please open konsole and do

inxi -SMCGx

then copy and paste the results
I always used to associate 'secrets' with PAP and CHAP connections....what wifi router are you using?

Last edited by bin (2023-04-09 06:45)

#7 2023-08-29 09:30

acerspanish

Hi all, I don't know if someone from the Q4OS team can help me, my problem is that I have the options to connect to wi-fi and my wi-fi connection is visible, but it never asked me for the password, and when I try to connect to the wi-fi, I receive the below error message: "TDE NetwrokManager: Connection attempt failed! SSID not found" and my internet connection appears twice in the list, for any of the two options I select, the result is the same.

I am using an Acer notebook I am not so sure how to get the system info from here, because I am new for this OS,  and I am also connected to the internet using a lan cable. Thank you.

#8 2023-08-31 10:41

Rademes

acerspanish wrote:

I am using an Acer notebook I am not so sure how to get the system info from here, because I am new for this OS,  and I am also connected to the internet using a lan cable. Thank you.

Please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502
Then start another topic and provide all necessary information as described in above link.

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#9 2023-08-31 13:09

acerspanish

Thank you Rademes for your reply, and the remittance for the article on how to create a new post for describing the issues. I have already created a new post with my issue please see it below:

TDE Network Manager connection attempt failed SSDI not found! by acerspanish  0    53    2023-08-25 08:21 by acerspanish

I will update it with the requested information.

Board footer