You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-26 14:02

geezer
Member
Registered: 2023-05-26
Posts: 3

VLC Player problem

A video .mp4 file on a usb stick or external drive cannot be opened or played with VLC Player. I would have to copy or cut and paste to local hard drive to play the file. I dont think its a permission problem as I can play it on a desktop with windows 11 or MX Linux. Any ideas?

Offline

#2 2023-05-26 14:36

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Registered: 2015-12-06
Posts: 4,334
Website

Re: VLC Player problem

What desktop environment do you use ? Plasma, Trinity, other ?

Offline

#3 2023-06-01 16:57

geezer
Member
Registered: 2023-05-26
Posts: 3

Re: VLC Player problem

Trinity

Offline

#4 2023-06-02 10:20

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Registered: 2015-12-06
Posts: 4,334
Website

Re: VLC Player problem

It seems, you have encountered known Trinity bug https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3826 . It should have been fixed in the new Trinity 14.1.x version, what will be available in the upcoming Q4OS 5 Aquarius edition.
See also:
https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4461
https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3826

Offline

#5 2023-06-02 14:03

just1acc
Member
Registered: 2023-02-23
Posts: 27

Re: VLC Player problem

- Go to "/usr/share/applications/"
- Locate the .desktop file of the program that doesn't open the file you are trying to open (e.g. VLC would be "vlc.desktop")
- Right-click and select "Edit as system administrator"
- Search for the "Exec=" entry
- Replace the "%U" entry on the same line by "%F"
- Save and test if it now works.

Offline

#6 2023-06-04 21:45

geezer
Member
Registered: 2023-05-26
Posts: 3

Re: VLC Player problem

Thanks, working now

Offline

#7 2023-07-19 19:18

Riccardo62
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2023-07-19
Posts: 23

Re: VLC Player problem

just1acc wrote:

- Go to "/usr/share/applications/"
- Locate the .desktop file of the program that doesn't open the file you are trying to open (e.g. VLC would be "vlc.desktop")
- Right-click and select "Edit as system administrator"
- Search for the "Exec=" entry
- Replace the "%U" entry on the same line by "%F"
- Save and test if it now works.


I too made the change you suggested and thank you, now vlc also opens the video from my computer's second internal SSD from Konqueror. 
Do you also know what modification to make to Celluloid?

Offline

#8 2023-07-20 12:40

Senas Komunistas
Member
From: Lithuania
Registered: 2016-04-17
Posts: 51

Re: VLC Player problem

Riccardo62 wrote:

I too made the change you suggested and thank you, now vlc also opens the video from my computer's second internal SSD from Konqueror. 
Do you also know what modification to make to Celluloid?

Do the same thing you did with the VLC player, just change the name to celluloid.desktop.

Offline

#9 2023-07-20 13:54

Riccardo62
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2023-07-19
Posts: 23

Re: VLC Player problem

Senas Komunistas wrote:

Do the same thing you did with the VLC player, just change the name to celluloid.desktop.

Thanks, all ok.

Last edited by Riccardo62 (2023-07-20 13:54)

Offline

#10 2023-07-23 21:33

Riccardo62
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2023-07-19
Posts: 23

Re: VLC Player problem

In the same way I also solved for the mpv player.

Last edited by Riccardo62 (2023-07-23 21:40)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB