You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-19 05:07

80sKid

VPN gui installing issue

Hi,
Im new to debian/Q4os, been using mint for a few years.
I really like this os and I want to use this as my main os but im having an issue trying to install proton vpn and mullvad vpn gui's (any package outside of synaptic manager or Q4os repo). When I click to download the Konsole pops up and I type "I" to install and enter then it says this,

"Do you wish to:
- I)nstall the package now,
- S)ave it to a file, or
- Q)uit now
Your choice (I/S/Q)? I
Installation of Debian packages needs to be done as root.
Enter command used to become root (default=sudo):".

I have search for a few days and cant find the specific command phrase to get it to proceed downloading.
It's the same with all downloads I'v tried. I have searched how to save the file and then install it that way but I have no clue and can't find a step by step tutorial for it.

I can install fine on the synaptic package manager and the Q4os repo.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

#2 2021-07-19 09:11

hchiper

Re: VPN gui installing issue

I found this link to download the .deb package which you could install with

$ sudo apt install ./protonvpn-stable-release_1.0.1-1_all.deb

Maybe you should not click to download but rather right-click to save to disk and then open a terminal to execute the above command.
Does this help?

Last edited by hchiper (2021-07-19 09:16)

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

#3 2021-07-19 13:14

Tolkem

FWIW, ProtonVPN GUI didn't work for me; I installed it, but was never able to launch it, nor through the icon menu(there wasn't one) neither via terminal. Haven't tried mullvad's.

#4 2021-07-19 15:06

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@80sKid
Please follow this guide https://protonvpn.com/support/official- … pn-debian/ and post back. Describe a possible error and a phase it occurs at.

#5 2021-07-20 10:08

80sKid

Hi
I appreciate the helpful reply's.
I have tried the tips you all have recommended but none have worked. I think It would work if I knew what command to type in the konsole after I click on the deb download on both sites.
What would be the specific phrase to type in when I click "I" for install and it shows this

"Installation of Debian packages needs to be done as root.
Enter command used to become root (default=sudo):"

I do know how to get to root control when I click on konsole on desktop, its just after I click a download open it and initiates the install but it needs a special command to continue.

The downloads work on and are installed and running on my other MX linux and mint OS's so I know I works. Its something simple most likely, I know others must be having the same issue too.
I do have openvpn installed and working on Q4os but it doesn't have a kill switch so the gui option for me is important with torrenting.

Thanks

#6 2021-07-20 10:20

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

80sKid wrote:

When I click to download the Konsole pops up ...

What action do you exactly do ? What application do you click download konsole from ? What desktop environment do you use ? We need that info to reproduce the issue and to see what happened. It's not clear from your description above.

#7 2021-07-20 10:48

80sKid

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

By complete accident I got mullvad to download and install. I didn"t type anything and just pressed ENTER after I typed in "I" for install. No command just press enter, so simple.

Tried the same for protonvpn and this is the error I got,

"
new Debian package, version 2.0.
size 3264 bytes: control archive=644 bytes.
      46 bytes,     1 lines      conffiles
     404 bytes,    13 lines      control
     183 bytes,     2 lines      md5sums
Package: protonvpn-stable-release
Version: 1.0.1-1
Architecture: all
Maintainer: Proton Technologies AG <opensource@proton.me>
Installed-Size: 15
Depends: gnupg | gnupg2, apt-transport-https
Recommends: gpgv
Breaks: protonvpn-beta-release
Replaces: protonvpn-beta-release
Section: libs
Priority: optional
Homepage: https://protonvpn.com/
Description: Package to install ProtonVPN GPG key and stable repo

Do you wish to:
- I)nstall the package now,
- S)ave it to a file, or
- Q)uit now
Your choice (I/S/Q)? I
Installation of Debian packages needs to be done as root.
Enter command used to become root (default=sudo):

Installing package...
dpkg: error: cannot access archive '/tmp/fileZF3hcD.deb': Permission denied         

Done.  Press <return> to continue: " .

Steps I performed
I'm using the trinity desktop.
1. I go to the proton debian download page and click the deb download.
2. I then click the download in the browser downloads.
3. The konsole pops up and I type "I" for install and press enter and the error appears.

#8 2021-07-20 11:01

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

80sKid wrote:

Steps I performed
I'm using the trinity desktop.
1. I go to the proton debian download page and click the deb download.
2. I then click the download in the browser downloads.
3. The konsole pops up and I type "I" for install and press enter and the error appears.

Well, please specify:
- The download page and link
- The browser you used

#9 2021-07-20 11:17

80sKid

Hi

I'm using brave browser.

Download page- https://protonvpn.com/support/official- … pn-debian/

This is the download link - https://protonvpn.com/download/protonvp … -1_all.deb
This is all there is to click on - Download the ProtonVPN DEB package, the rest below are all terminal commands.

I have tried using firefox but instead of the konsole popping up, ARK appears and I try to extract it but there is some type of error so I just stuck to using brave.

Thanks

#10 2021-07-20 11:38

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

As far as we know, the Brave browser isn't in Debian repositories. How did you install it ?

80sKid wrote:

I have tried using firefox but instead of the konsole popping up, ARK appears and I try to extract it but there is some type of error so I just stuck to using brave.

You may need to install the "gdebi" package from repositories, to be able to install ".deb" files in Trinity desktop using Firefox.

We recommend you to use the terminal way, just save the ".deb" file and follow https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.ph … 018#p21018

#11 2021-07-20 12:04

80sKid

Hi

I download brave from the brave website, they have the install command lines there.

Yes I double checked I do have gdebi installed.

I tried firefox, saved the download and used the install command to download deb file,

"sudo apt install ./protonvpn-stable-release_1.0.1-1_all.deb"

In the terminal this what it said,

"sudo apt install ./protonvpn-stable-release_1.0.1-1_all.deb
Reading package lists... Done
N: Ignoring file 'windscribe-repo.listapt-get' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: Unsupported file ./protonvpn-stable-release_1.0.1-1_all.deb given on commandline"

Thanks

#12 2021-07-20 12:18

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

80sKid wrote:

I tried firefox, saved the download and used the install command to download deb file,

"sudo apt install ./protonvpn-stable-release_1.0.1-1_all.deb"

In the terminal this what it said,

"sudo apt install ./protonvpn-stable-release_1.0.1-1_all.deb
Reading package lists... Done
N: Ignoring file 'windscribe-repo.listapt-get' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: Unsupported file ./protonvpn-stable-release_1.0.1-1_all.deb given on commandline"

The command works fine here, so we assume you have broken Apt package system integrity.
EDIT: You only need to change directory where the file is saved.

Last edited by q4osteam (2021-07-20 12:20)

#13 2021-07-20 13:08

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We have included Proton VPN easy installer into Q4OS repository, you might try to use it, see https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3624

#14 2021-07-20 13:09

80sKid

Hi

Forgive my noobness, but I'm having a tricky time finding how to change the directory where a file is saved.

Is there a specific tutorial?

Couldn't find anything on the forum search either.

Thanks

#15 2021-07-20 13:24

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You need to type in terminal "cd <dir_change_to>", for example:
$ cd /tmp/mydownload/

You can also give an absolute path to "apt" command:
$ sudo apt install /tmp/mydownload/protonvpn-stable-release_1.0.1-1_all.deb

Anyway, we recommend you to try the easy installer https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3624 and post back the result.

#16 2021-07-20 13:25

80sKid

Many Thanks

I just checked out the list of Q4os downloads you posted, I was able to download and install protonvpn with gui. Excellent.

That is a great list of downloads, gonna install numerous more programs there.

This will help out alot of people.

Thank you

#17 2021-07-20 16:03

Tolkem

q4osteam wrote:

We have included Proton VPN easy installer into Q4OS repository, you might try to use it, see https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3624

I just installed ProtonVPN GUI and can confirm that it installs and works just fine! So thank you so much! One thing that should be noted, is that users need to have at hand their OpenVPN password, since the app will ask for it when trying to connect to a server, which they can get by going to proton site, logging in, going to dashboard, click on account, then click on OpenVPN username, click the copy button, then past it to the password dialog, click ok and that's it. smile

Last edited by Tolkem (2021-07-20 16:04)

#18 2022-11-07 15:13

ccs1664

Hi

I did not install  Proton VPN  because I use another VPN source.  Is the Proton VPN generic for any VPN sources, such Ghost, FranceVPN, Surfshark, etc.
In XFCE desktop, there was an icon from Network Manager to add a new connection of VPN. Here, the icon VPN for creating a new VPN connection does not appear anything. Any help for an good gui VPN connection?

Claudio

#19 2022-11-07 22:28

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@ccs1664
Would you create a new topic for your issue please ? It's not directly related to the OP, so discussion will be cleaner and you will have a better chance for a proper resolution.

Board footer