You are not logged in.

#26 2019-03-29 14:10

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Q4OS Centaurus 3.5, testing

The ".r5" live media revision is out for testing. The key change is fix of root filesystem encryption capability, it should work out of the box now. You are welcome to download live media images from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/files/testing/
"q4os-3.5-x64.r5.iso" ... Plasma live media
"q4os-3.5-x64-tde.r5.iso" ... Trinity live media

@jotapesse
The final solution is the cleaner solution (b.), so we could leave Cryptsetup package untouched. Therefore Cryptsetup still defaults to LUKS2 for any of system operations except the Calamares install process. Keep in mind, Calamares encrypting on secure boot systems should work as well, but it might require some additional manual configuration before the first boot.

#27 2019-03-29 17:35

jotapesse

Well done! I can now happily report that full-disk encryption works out of the box with Calamares "erase disk/automatic partition" on the ".r5" live media revision, on both Virtualbox systems non-EFI/msdos disk and EFI/gpt disk. All partitions are encrypted on LUKS1 format. Thank you!

Now, since LUKS2 is available, ideally /boot should be separated from / and mounted on a LUKS1 encrypted partition while / (and other mounts/partitions) should be on LUKS2. If you can manage this it will be perfect! But hey, I can't complain as is. This should be a temporary solution, let's hope that GRUB doesn't take long to support LUKS2.

Last edited by jotapesse (2019-03-29 19:18)

jotapesse - Obrigado / Thank you.

#28 2019-03-29 17:37

jotapesse

I did notice that different arrangements for the partitions are made with non-EFI/msdos or EFI/gpt systems/disks. In my test case, with a 10GB disk:

non-EFI/msdos:
/dev/sda1 / (includes /boot) ~4.5GB
/dev/sda2 /home ~5.5GB

EFI/gpt:
/dev/sda1 /boot/efi (non-encrypted FAT32, EFI required) 300MB
/dev/sda2/ (includes /boot and /home) ~9.7GB

So / and /home volume size arrangement are quite different. One could debate and perhaps consider if they shouldn't be similar in the same automatic partitioning option scheme. I do prefer the all-in-one / mount single-partition scheme. Manual partitioning is available to all other custom arrangements, encryption included. smile

Last edited by jotapesse (2019-03-29 18:36)

#29 2019-03-29 17:43

jotapesse

Also no swap partition is created. And that's good because for SSDs a /swapfile is a better option. Now could Calamares create and activate a /swapfile automatically? It would be perfect! I had to do it post-install on the Scorpion 2.7 release.

Last edited by jotapesse (2019-03-29 18:06)

#30 2019-04-03 20:17

Marcus

I am trying out the 3.5.3-n1 Trinity release and noticed a few things: During installation, when I select the keyboard layout, it is applied in the target system but not during the live-session (stays US).

When installing on a LUKS Partition the tde mount daemon pops up after the partitions are created. It can be avoided by disabling encrypted HDs in the settings on the live media.

The Hover description on the menu icons is a bit strange sometimes. It shows small horizontal lines on the top, directly below the rounded top corners. Hover Information

The desktop profiler fails with error code 60 on some dependencies for the full profile 'synaptic-q4 : depends on: synaptic-trinity but should not be installed'

Encryption in settings:/Security/ has no icon

Last edited by Marcus (2019-04-16 19:17)

#31 2019-04-04 21:51

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Marcus wrote:

During installation, when I select the keyboard layout, it is applied in the target system but not during the live-session (stays US).

We are not able to reproduce, what keyboard layout did you choose throughout the install process ?

Marcus wrote:

When installing on a LUKS Partition the tde mount daemon pops up after the partitions are created. It can be avoided by disabling encrypted HDs in the settings on the live media.

We can confirm that, added to our to-do list.

Marcus wrote:

The Hover description on the menu icons is a bit strange sometimes. It shows small horizontal lines on the top, directly below the rounded top corners.

We are not able to reproduce, it may be a video driver dependent issue. Please specify your hardware.

Marcus wrote:

The desktop profiler fails with error code 60 on some dependencies for the full profile 'synaptic-q4 : depends on: synaptic-trinity but should not be installed'

Fixed, that should work now.

Marcus wrote:

Encryption in settings:/Security/ has no icon

We can confirm that, a solution is in progress.

#32 2019-04-05 15:04

Marcus

Concerning the keyboard layout I used the default for my detected TZ which is Swiss German. When I test the layout in the test box it's still US. After manually selecting it by clicking on a different layout and back on Swiss German the input test works. In upcoming steps and on the desktop it's still US though.

Graphical issues with hover button occur on both Intel and NVidia. The latter with or without proprietary drivers.

#33 2019-04-05 16:57

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Well, we will investigate the keyboard layout as well as the graphical issues more closely and post a feedback. By the way, there is new Centaurus 3.6 release available for download, please see https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2612

#34 2019-04-06 13:09

Marcus

Thanks, I have seen the graphical issues also in VMware Workstation. Concerning the new version: is there also an upgrade path? Will apt-get update; apt-get upgrade bring my already existing installations to this version?

#35 2019-04-06 13:12

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Marcus wrote:

Will apt-get update; apt-get upgrade bring my already existing installations to this version?

Yes, it does.

#36 2019-04-07 19:03

Marcus

Great. Concerning the display bug in the hover on the window list, I have noticed that it also exists in the Scorpion version.

Board footer