You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-10 20:28

uberzilla

newb with observations

Hello - newb to Q4os. Tend to use buntu distros - though I test everything. I decided to try Q4os and I have taken an instant liking to it. The testing is being done on ancient Dell Laptops - a D430 and a D620. On both machines - one issue has been noticed. The battery / power monitor and performance settings will freeze and I have to sometimes shut it off - and then restart it. An odd note is that after using- and set aside for a bit whilst working on my main desktop - I will get back to the D430 and note the fan is running even and it is hot - as though it was working hard on something. Opening to see what might be running and I am not seeing anything that would run the processor hard.
Outside of that - this is an exceptional desktop competing very well with distros like Bodhi, AntiX. I plan on continued testing - as it is just a pleasant distro. Being completely new to Trinity as a desktop - having ignored KDE for XFCE, Enlightenment, LXDE, and Fluxbox (antiX) up until very recent - I hope to see this desktop environment thrive!

#2 2018-05-12 05:37

bin

Re: newb with observations

This is not unusual behaviour with the latest kernels and older hardware.

You may want to try the previous release - Orion - and see if that fixes it for you. I have had similar issues with HP and Dell of the same vinatge.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/f … o/download
https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/f … o/download

#3 2018-08-15 18:28

uberzilla

Hello and thanks for the response. I have done much more testing of Q4os. For me now - it is right up by my favorite distros. All have pluses and minuses. The Buntu distros have an advantage of easy to theme out - with a huge selection of icon theme also available. Q4os's extreme light weight put's it right in there with Bodhi - I have to respect serious efficiency combined with a full featured desktop.

On the fan and heat thing. I have noted that Q4os is not running the system hot - rather it runs the fan sooner then other distros - which is not a problem.

I managed to theme it out mostly to my taste - just need time to find things in the system - more used to Buntu / Debian then other distros. Would like to possibly see an icon theme selection in the systems theme section. Maybe that is included if you do a full featured desktop install with the desktop profiler. I have selected the middle ground - base setup. I briefly tested the Plasma desktop as well. Amazing how efficient that is in overhead - I thought the recent Kubuntu release was the king of slimming down Plasma - but Q4os topped them. Still - with some tweaking Trinity can look almost as good and is much more efficient in overhead.

Other question if someone gets the time. How does one save the theme / colors selection so I can cut and paste into another install - saving time. I suspect this distro will become one of the go to distros (I mostly have to work in Windows for my work - using Linux - even tested Ghost BSD for a brief time - nice but need drawing tablets to work and no time to custom compile and test drivers) whenever I can - and for personal use.

Excellent distro!

Attachments:
png q4osDTforrestG900.png, Size: 212.34 KiB, Downloads: 607

#4 2018-08-15 21:01

Dai_trying

uberzilla wrote:

Other question if someone gets the time. How does one save the theme / colors selection so I can cut and paste into another install - saving time. I suspect this distro will become one of the go to distros (I mostly have to work in Windows for my work - using Linux - even tested Ghost BSD for a brief time - nice but need drawing tablets to work and no time to custom compile and test drivers) whenever I can - and for personal use.

I created a theme backup utility that can save your desktop settings and restore them at a later date, this could be used to transfer settings to another install but there might be some issues with Scorpion although it has worked with my tests. Post can be found here if you have any issues please post them in that thread and I will take a look and see if I can make it better. HTH

#5 2018-08-16 08:59

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@uberzilla
We can also recommend you to install and check the 'Lookswitcher' application from the Q4OS Software centre. It will install some more icon and desktop themes, so you could choose and customize the theme you like.

EDIT: Thank you for attaching the screenshot, looks great smile

Last edited by q4osteam (2018-08-16 09:01)

Board footer