You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-26 18:13

Rover

Password Problem

I have just installed Q4OS using the Windows Installer. As part of the installation process, I was prompted to choose and confirm a password, which I did. Then I booted up the program, entered the password, and all was fine.

Eventually, as I took a break from the setup tasks, the clock screensaver popped up, and when I returned, it asked me to enter my password. When I did, I got the message "Login failed." I retyped carefully several time with the same result. I had no idea how to proceed from there or how to exit the program, so I resorted to holding down the laptop power button until it turned off.

When I rebooted, the same thing happened: login password entry went fine, post-screensaver failed. Hold power button down, turn off computer.

The third time after the boot login password succeeded, I went to the "Security" section of the Control Panel and attempted to change the password. But to do this required entering my current password, which failed again. So I'm completely stymied.

Two questions:

1. Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

2. How do I keep from having to enter a password every time the screensaver comes on? Or change the screensaver timing? Or turn it off altogether? Or best of all, use no password at all for Q4OS? I searched in vain for any settings that would do any of these things, but found nothing.

Many thanks for any information. R.

#2 2018-06-26 19:25

Dai_trying

Re: Password Problem

You can set auto-login from the welcome screen to bypass entering a password on boot-up.

You can disable screensaver pasword (or disable the screensave altogether) by right clicking the desktop and select Configure Desktop then select screen Saver from the left panel and set it to your preference.
You can just un-check Require password to stop to remove the password option or uncheck Start automatically to prevent screensaver completely.

#3 2018-06-26 22:55

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Some characters are not allowed for a password in Trinity desktop. You can change your password using the terminal command:
$ sudo password <username>
If the password will not be accepted in the gui, you could switch to text console with 'ctrl+alt+f1' key combination, login to the console and run the command above. Reboot and post a result.

#4 2018-06-27 02:25

Rover

Thanks so much, D_t and q4osteam. I got the screensaver sorted from your instructions. I finally discovered that the password problem was an activated (and unmarked) NumLock key on the old, unfamiliar laptop of a friend that I was working on. Whenever I entered the password, unknown to me some of the letters came out as numbers instead of the standard letters.

I do have one more question: when I boot into Q4OS, the wi-fi does not start automatically; I have to do it manually. I have right-clicked the wi-fi icon and searched everywhere available, but I cannot seem to find how to make this happen. Is there somewhere a "Connect Automatically" option like in Windows?

Thanks for all your help for this first-time Linux user. R.

#5 2018-06-27 07:18

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Rover wrote:

I do have one more question: when I boot into Q4OS, the wi-fi does not start automatically; I have to do it manually. I have right-clicked the wi-fi icon and searched everywhere available, but I cannot seem to find how to make this happen. Is there somewhere a "Connect Automatically" option like in Windows?

You need to setup the connection as "Autoconnect". Click to the networkmanager icon in systray > Edit Connections > select your wireless connection > click Edit Connection > Next > Next > check Autoconnect box > Save

#6 2018-06-28 18:03

Rover

Thanks, solved.

#7 2021-02-24 22:44

Vera1804

I tried this as login fails at clock screen, I can login in at gnu/Linux
How do I change password so I can enter clock screen.

#8 2021-02-24 23:18

Vera1804

Update have changed by password successfully  in command line.  Now entering new password but can’t get past login screen.  Login seems to be successful and appears to login but just comes back to login screen so stuck.  Any suggestions?

#9 2021-02-25 06:54

bin

Just out of interest, are you using a laptop? Do some of your letter keys in the middle of the keyboard also have numbers on - possibly coloured blue? If so it is possible that you have set the password when Num Lock is ON. This can really mess things up as what you thought were letters may have been read as numbers.

#10 2021-03-14 13:16

Treco

I actually have this problem with a x40 thinkpad I installed scorpion on, I wanted to install centaurus but there's no way to force Pae mode it seems, basically it's a very simple password, no numlock issue, log in when it first boots up just fine with the password, after the screensaver initiates and I try to login in with the password I get the error, unlocking failed? Any clue what's going on? The OS flies on this old machine, but this is a bit of dealbreaker.

#11 2021-03-14 13:25

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@Treco
Please specify for us to be able to reproduce and investigate the issue:
What desktop environment do you use ?
What software profile did you apply ?
What installation media did you use ?

#12 2021-03-14 13:31

Treco

Ok, I found out it was a numlock problem, for some reason Q4OS turns on numlock once it fully boots up, I'm not sure exactly why? Any ideas?

#13 2021-03-14 13:34

Treco

q4osteam wrote:

@Treco
Please specify for us to be able to reproduce and investigate the issue:
What desktop environment do you use ?
What software profile did you apply ?
What installation media did you use ?

Trinity
Scorpion?
CD media it's a x40 with a ultrabase.
It's a numlock issue just confused as to why the OS turns on numlock when it loads, I didn't notice it cause it's a tiny green light in a obscure part of the thinkpad when it's turned on. Really hoping to be able to use Centaurus, but it fails loading, probably due to the CPU not have pae flag set even tho it's a pae CPU, had the same problem with other OSes, you have to go in and force pae when it's installing for it to work, but I'll leave that for another separate topic.

#14 2021-03-14 13:36

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Treco wrote:

Ok, I found out it was a numlock problem, for some reason Q4OS turns on numlock once it fully boots up, I'm not sure exactly why?

It's the default installer configuration. You can easily setup Q4OS to switch numlock off permanently, see https://www.q4os.org/dqa011.html#system.2

Treco wrote:

... there's no way to force Pae mode it seems ...

Pae is detected and turned on automatically by the installer. You can check it in terminal, just type:
$ uname -a

#15 2021-03-14 23:52

Treco

"Pae is detected and turned on automatically by the installer. You can check it in terminal, just type:
$ uname -a"
There's a command for some linux distros to force PAE for pentium mobile machines, cause on other linux distros you have to manually interrupt the installation to force PAE at boot for it to work, and I don't see where I can do that cause Centaurus starts installing and almost finishes the select and install software down to 100% then throws a error saying failing step is: Select and install software and I hvae a feeling it has to do with PAE. for some reason the pentium m CPUs didn't hvae their pae flag set even tho it does technically work. I'll make another separate topic for this, thanks for your help.

Board footer