You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-01 20:48

RockinRobbins

I would like configuration routines to configure Q4OS

Time and time again when I try different configuration routines for TDE I end up with no possibility of configuring the desktop environment. Let me give just one example of many.

We’ll pick a random configuration routine, Configure-KDesktop. Right-click the desktop and select Configure Desktop. Boom! Looks great. See those OK, Apply and Cancel buttons on the bottom? They’re absolutely necessary to store your settings or even to use them only once! {Link to my photography redacted because evidence is not permitted here.}

Now suppose you want to change your icon spacing, not align icons to a grid or change mouse button actions. Click on Behavior and this pops up: {Link to my photography redacted because evidence is not permitted here.}. But our Okay, Apply, Cancel buttons are GONE! Could they just be off the bottom of the page, which we can’t scroll up because TDE decided not to let us? Let’s go back to the Background screen, which we’ve already seen above.

Nope! They’re not on the bottom of the screen, they’re GONE! {Link to my photography redacted because evidence is not permitted here.}. You can’t execute any configuration screens in Q4OS/TDE. You see this over and over again ad nauseum. If you don’t like the default configuration, you have to learn to like it because Q4OS/TDE CAN’T BE CONFIGURED.

By the way, modern programs immediately apply the settings with no need for an OK, Apply, Cancel grouping. Going that way would be one possible solution. But this is basic software, among the very first a new user will see and the impression they give of Q4OS/TDE quality is just a deal-killer.

I'm on a 2009 Toshiba NB205 with stock everything, including an astounding 1024x600 display. This OS looks great. It feels responsive unless I inflict Plasma on this decrepit old dinosaur. Potentially, Q4OS could be the OS of choice for my machine.

#2 2022-11-02 12:43

RockinRobbins

Re: I would like configuration routines to configure Q4OS

Clarification. If I change screen magnification the situation changes slightly. I reduced screen magnification from 1.5 down to 1. Now on the first three tabs I always have OK, Apply and Cancel buttons UNTIL I access the fourth tab when there isn't room at the bottom of the screen. After I access that tab, NONE of the tabs have OK, Apply, Cancel buttons.

This means it's somehow related to my netbook's extremely weird 1024x600 resolution and TDE not allowing for that possibility. Chances are higher screen resolutions are not affected. However, given that the purpose of Q4OS and TDE is to keep old hardware alive and productive, a fix would be very good.

#3 2022-11-02 12:48

RockinRobbins

It seems to me that by increasing screen magnification on better resolutions, this might be simulated on more capable hardware.

#4 2022-11-02 12:57

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

#5 2022-11-03 01:36

RockinRobbins

Thank you @q4osteam for your quick response. I'm going to try that on several configuration screens to let you know how it works. I still say 1024x600 is the weirdest screen resolution I've ever seen in my life, but it's a found 2009 Toshiba netbook, one of the last of its dying class and i want to make this work. Now that I've figured out tags I'll post my screenshots.

Board footer