You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-13 20:03

BrJPedro
Website

Start Menu apps not showing

All my start menu apps are gone. Just "Games" category, Look Switcher, Thunderbird and Synaptic are being shown.

But if I change theme to Debonaire, they come back. Then When I come back to Wine_Classic, it become hidden again.

How can I fix it?

João Pedro -o- @12h01

#2 2018-08-14 21:23

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Start Menu apps not showing

We would recommend you to reset the user profile. Login to your profile and run in terminal:
$ sh /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/bin/default_desktop_settings.sh
please see https://www.q4os.org/dqa011.html#desktop.7 . The action will reset the visual theme to the default state, other user data will be kept untouched.

#3 2018-08-16 17:19

BrJPedro
Website

I tried to reset user profile, and also tried to create a new profile account. But doesn't work.

Just in Debonaire.

I installed XFCE Desktop, and it is working normal. I think there is missing any package maybe, on Trinity DE installed.

Can I reinstall Trinity without using a media ISO of Q4OS? (My USB ports are not working, and I don't have CD/DVD drive on my laptop)

Is there any command to reinstall Q4OS & Trinity "essential packages"?
Or any script to "hard reset" Q4OS?

--

PS: I don't know if this problem could be caused by a missing package. APT is working normal, I don't remember of uninstalling any "required" package. Also, I think there's no way to remove a "required" package, as apt will show the q4os-*  packages on the "these packages are not necessary, do apt autoremove bla bla bla" warning.

João Pedro -o- @12h01

#4 2018-08-16 17:23

BrJPedro
Website

On

# apt search q4os-* 

the only packages that are not installed are: q4os-chromium,  x2goclient-q4, q4os-vlc, q4os-kde5-desktop, q4os-chromium. All other packages are sucessfully installed, and I think there's no problem with them.

----

Using Alt+F2 I can launch any package installed. (google-chrome, konsole, geany, thunar, kwrite, etc)
But the apps not showing on Start Menu is a important problem to me.

Last edited by BrJPedro (2018-08-16 17:33)

João Pedro -o- @12h01

#5 2018-08-16 19:29

Dai_trying

What desktop are you having these problems with? (Xfce/Trinity)

And could you post a screenshot showing your menu structure?

If you have any problems getting a screenshot with the menu active use ksnapshot-trinity and use the delay option to give you time to open the menu first.

#6 2018-08-16 19:37

BrJPedro
Website

Dai_trying wrote:

What desktop are you having these problems with?

The issue just occurs on Trinity with default themes. (Except Debonaire)

João Pedro -o- @12h01

#7 2018-08-16 19:42

Dai_trying

Did you run the Q4OS desktop reset script?

sh /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/bin/default_desktop_settings.sh

Also have you tried using Look Switcher to change the desktop back to Q4OS default?

#8 2018-08-16 19:44

BrJPedro
Website

Dai_trying wrote:

Did you run the Q4OS desktop reset script?

Yes, I ran.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE PROBLEM WAS GONE

Magically, the apps are being shown again.

You said to post a screenshot of the menu structure, so I logout from XFCE and came back to TDE. But the Start Menu is normal. :v

João Pedro -o- @12h01

#9 2018-08-16 19:47

Dai_trying

That is good news, maybe you just needed to reboot or log out/in for everything to become normal again after the changes. smile

#10 2018-08-16 19:52

BrJPedro
Website

THE PROBLEM COME BACK hmm hmm hmm

I think I find the reason of these problems: XPQ4.

A few minutes ago, when the apps was being show normally, I was using default Trinity theme.

So I switch to "Windows XP" theme from XPQ4. And the apps are hidden again. hmm

Last edited by BrJPedro (2018-08-16 19:53)

Attachments:
png snapshot1.png, Size: 56.3 KiB, Downloads: 512

João Pedro -o- @12h01

#11 2018-08-16 20:11

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You could also try to create a new testing user, login into his profile and check the menu items. You can fiddle with themes switching to find out, if the issue lies inside the user profile or system wide configuration. Please post back a result, if proceeded.

#12 2018-08-16 20:14

BrJPedro
Website

q4osteam wrote:

You could also try to create a new testing user, login into his profile and check the menu items. You can fiddle with themes switching to find out, if the issue lies in the user profile or system wide configuration. Please post back a result, if proceeded.

Yes, I am in a new testing user account.

I used the Q4OS script to change menu structure to KDE Style, and now the problem is gone again.

joaopedro@q4os-desktop:~$ sh /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/bin/kmenu_struct.sh --help
 Menu structure switcher
  Usage1: kmenu_str.sh --tde <--q4os>
  Usage2: kmenu_str.sh --help
joaopedro@q4os-desktop:~$ sh /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/bin/kmenu_struct.sh --tde
[tdebuildsycoca] tdebuildsycoca running...
[tdebuildsycoca] Reusing existing tdesycoca.
tdebuildsycoca: WARNING: Parse error in /home/joaopedro/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu, line 1, col 1: unexpected end of file
joaopedro@q4os-desktop:~$   

What means this warning?

Last edited by BrJPedro (2018-08-16 20:15)

Attachments:
png snapshot2.png, Size: 78.53 KiB, Downloads: 470

João Pedro -o- @12h01

#13 2018-08-16 20:19

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

BrJPedro wrote:

I used the Q4OS script to change menu structure to KDE Style, and now the problem is gone again.

Does it mean, that the menu in the new user profile was wrong and after the script ran, it has been fixed ?

You can safely remove the '/home/joaopedro/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu' file and run the script again.

#14 2018-08-16 20:29

BrJPedro
Website

The problem is in the Q4OS default menu structure, may it be corrupted?

I tried to switch to Q4OS menu structure:

joaopedro@q4os-desktop:~$ sh /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/bin/kmenu_struct.sh --q4os
TQGDict::hashKeyString: Invalid null key
TQGDict::hashKeyString: Invalid null key

The apps become hidden.

Then I switch to TDE structure:

joaopedro@q4os-desktop:~$ sh /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/bin/kmenu_struct.sh --tde

The apps are showing fine.

João Pedro -o- @12h01

#15 2018-08-16 20:34

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

The key question is - did you create new fresh user profile and has it been affected anytime too ? If so, the problem lies in the system, if not so, it's the particular user profile issue, probably some miss-configuration.

Which user profile did you run the commands from the latest post in ? The new fresh profile or the original affected profile ?

#16 2018-08-16 21:58

Dai_trying

I have just been testing switching themes (in a VM) from both XPQ4 and Look Switcher and I cannot cause the same issue OP is having, I have changed to and from each of the themes without any issues and at this point I would suspect Xfce could be the problem... I have not yet installed it but will try that shortly and see if I find anything.

@BrJPedro
  Did you notice this issue before installing Xfce, your second post indicates you installed it after having the issue but just wanted to make sure. Also did you have any other desktop environments installed? Plasma? before noticing this issue?

Also would it be possible for you to run

dpkg --get-selections > dpkg_output.txt

and post the file dpkg_output.txt here and I will try to duplicate your system as close as possible to see if I can find the cause.

#17 2018-08-17 15:45

BrJPedro
Website

@Dai_trying

When the issue appeared, just TDE was installed. I isntalled XFCE after the issue was occurring.

A lot of time ago, I had Plasma installed. A few time after, I uninstalled Plasma and installed XFCE. And a few months ago I uninstalled XFCE, so just TDE was installed since a 2 or 3 months ago. The issue started this week.

Here is my dpkg output.

Attachments:
txt dpkg_output.txt, Size: 80.92 KiB, Downloads: 1,724

João Pedro -o- @12h01

Board footer