You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-05 14:29

Jovin

Cannot Access BIOS after install

Hi All
I recently installed Q4OS on an old Toshiba laptop and have discovered that I can no longer access the BIOS or boot device menu. Any key presses at power on are not recognized (usually F2 but I have tried all Fn keys and del) and the machine goes straight to Q4OS start up. I have also tried with no HDD installed just USB boot key and no boot media at all but without the HDD I just get a blinking cursor and no response to any key press.

Any ideas on what has happened or solutions to regain at least a boot device option?

Many thanks
John

#2 2021-08-06 06:20

bin

Re: Cannot Access BIOS after install

Option1 - Hold the f2 key down before you power up and keep it down until you get the BIOS prompt

Option2 - Do as above but holding the ESC key down before power up.

#3 2021-08-06 10:46

Jovin

bin wrote:

Option1 - Hold the f2 key down before you power up and keep it down until you get the BIOS prompt

Thanks for reply but already tried. :-(

Just results in continual beeping as in a stuck key. When holding F2 as well as beeping just get a blank screen then on release of key the O/S boots.
When holding Esc same blank screen and beeping then on release goes to GRUB menu with only option being normal boot or Q4OS recovery mode.

#4 2021-08-06 22:19

doge_guide

try pressing F2 repeatedly right when you boot up

always willing to help people besides karens <3

#5 2021-08-07 05:38

bin

Jovin wrote:
bin wrote:

Thanks for reply but already tried. :-(

Just results in continual beeping as in a stuck key. When holding F2 as well as beeping just get a blank screen then on release of key the O/S boots.
When holding Esc same blank screen and beeping then on release goes to GRUB menu with only option being normal boot or Q4OS recovery mode.

Please provide information about the make and model of Toshiba

I recall a machine - I think it was a Sony but it's a while back - where the BIOS was accessed by what turned out to be a boot menu that was loaded at Windows start rather than from system boot - or something like that. Wiping the disk resulted in a different BIOS access screen.

On your machine it is possible that the actual BIOS access key sequence was disabled in the BIOS relying on a secondary disk based menu to get there.

#6 2021-08-07 22:06

doge_guide

@doge_guide the same problem happened to me and that was the fix

always willing to help people besides karens <3

Board footer