You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-26 18:26

plg6

User Name at Login

Good day,

At work we're getting rid of a few older PC's. As the Windows OS that was on them before was licensed via the employer, I'm blowing it off and putting on Q4OS Scorpion. These are going to be given away to some of the lucky employees. In many cases they're going to parents, kids, or just to have an extra system around the house. For most, if not all of these people, this will be their first exposure to Linux, so I'm trying to make the experience as user-friendly as possible. I realize I could set up the auto-login that would get them in right away, but I'm sure most would prefer a password-based login.

What is missing from the login prompt, that I would like to re-enable as it was under Q4OS 1.8, is to have the user name show up at the login prompt when the system first comes up, restarts, etcetera. As I don't know who the final users are going to be, I've just been using a generic name of "sysuser." Easy enough for a younger person to remember, but I'm thinking a parent in their 80's or so might not find it so intuitive. Getting them to do the password will likely be enough. Plus if they can be spared a bit of extra typing, so much the better. I can see the two getting confused easily enough.

Is there a setting or terminal based command that can re-enable this? Thanks much.

#2 2017-10-26 18:59

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: User Name at Login

We don't understand exactly what does it mean "... to have the user name show up at the login prompt when the system first comes up ...". If you perform a fresh Q4OS installation, you will see TDM login screen with the username shown up as well as in Orion 1.8.8. If it's not the case, a screenshot or more exact explanation would be helpful.

Board footer