You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-10 20:49

lordcool

cant get X to work

Installed Q4os livecd 1.8.7 64 bit,. md5 checks ok, and ran full verify on the cd after burn,
pc is intel i7 core cpu , 8 gb ram , intel internal video and gforce gtx-750 video card
when boot normal mode just get login had to google this and then cant start X
booting failsafe mode looks good but when installing X fails
ran apt-get install nvidia-driver  and removed nouveau driver, it hangs with both screens blank.
when trying to run X or xorg config I get either error 1 or error 2 or blank hang.

#2 2017-09-11 12:09

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: cant get X to work

Please run the following command in terminal to generate debug files:
$ reportq4
and attach it here or send it via e-mail support@q4os.org to analyze. You can add attachment by 'post reply -> choose file'

#3 2017-09-11 13:01

lordcool

Attachments:
gz qreport.tar.gz, Size: 27.83 KiB, Downloads: 747

#4 2017-09-12 08:11

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Unfortunately, video drivers from Q4OS Orion are not compatible with your hardware. You could try to use backported drivers and kernel 4.9, please see related posts from the experienced user, thanks Dai_trying, how to install them:
https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=9055#p9055
https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=9048#p9048

Better, we would recommend you to use Q4OS Scorpion http://www.q4os.org/downloads2.html. It's a testing version at the moment, but it's quite stable, and could be used by majority of users.

#5 2017-09-12 09:02

lordcool

ver 2.3.5 scorpion work better than 1.8.7 and boots in normal livecd mode
was able to install it but still some bugs.
After i Installed nvidia-drivers I get max resolution 640x480, why so low ?
even the default driver had 1280x1024
I miss skype, dont see it anywhere to install ?

suggestions for improvements:

default video mode should always be lowest possible until user confirms a higher one works, many servers run linux and use old / small monitors no better than vga,
installer gfx should reflect this, I many times struggle installing when bad video modes are selected that the screen cant handle or buttons are outside the screen .during/ after install let the user decide what gfx mode and programs to run.  Maybe a simple web-interface is enough. Text-mode install option ensures reliable install to most pcs. A selector program for video driver would be great similar to windows xp resolution select, user says if the driver / resolution work on test image if not revert to basic after some secs to try another, this will save tons of time debugging video problems and user see even before installing if the wanted driver works well.

installer language, us/uk english (the most common world language should be first in list and country not at all,
when trying to install english it adds another random language or I need scan ages to find american english in us/uk. English denmark makes little sence.
location is selected later anyway. Much better would be only show language and allow selecting multiple ones (f.ex holding control)

gparted: no need pester me about open all partitions/media over and over, this tripled the time it took me to setup partitions , a refresh/mount button is fine.
should be more clear info, after I made parts I was told I need efi/boot part, should be told BEFORE open gparted and also it need be fat16/32, no option for vfat in gpart. mounted media should come as icons on desktop if one needs files from them

after boot im asked if I want download english language, no need ask after I selected this during install
then given options what apps to install, should be given info about what apps are included in each package and difference , better yet a menu to hook off apps I want or not would be great similar to windows xp along with info about each one, then we get the exact apps we want and no time/space wasted removing / adding later.
(for me the download alone took hours)

Last edited by lordcool (2017-09-12 13:49)

#6 2017-09-12 09:28

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

lordcool wrote:

Why is it that q4os only work when I boot livecd failsafe ? ... is it a video driver issue ?

Yes.

lordcool wrote:

Is there no way to transfer the ram contents to the hard drive ?

It's not easily possible, we could rather try to search a related configuration options and apply it within the target system.

lordcool wrote:

... if so how to change to another driver ?

We would need more info here. Please launch the functional failsave mode from live cd, run 'reportq4' script and attach generated file here as well.

#7 2017-09-12 15:00

lordcool

now I installed 2.3.5 64 bit livecd , and the nvidia drivers, after the nvidia drivers Im getting max 640x480 res, before I had 1280x1024, thats a downer, also I only get picture on one screen, would be good to clone to both. 

I installed the full desktop package but skype seems to be missing now
and I find it hard to find many programs I need, like yahoo messenger

I am hoping to get games and other stuff to work also so this can replace my windows xp completely.
is wine the best way to run world of warcraft ?

Attachments:
gz qreport.tar.gz, Size: 32.37 KiB, Downloads: 797

#8 2017-09-12 23:17

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Thank you for the suggestions above, as the feedback is highly important for us to be able to improve Q4OS.

Stable Skype release is not available for Debian Linux at the moment, there is only beta version available, you can download installer for Q4OS from here https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/f … erimental/

You could try to use 'tderandrtray' applet to setup screen resolution, just look for in the start menu or run it from terminal:
$ tderandrtray

#9 2017-09-13 00:35

lordcool

I tryed the tde program I only get 640 max and a lot options are greyed out, I sent the report in last reply. something is not working with the nvidia drivers. How to go back to the old ones ? I tryed remove nvidia but nothing happen

how to install skype.deb ? it just says it unpacks but no program shows up

how to install other languages ?

#10 2017-09-13 07:49

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

lordcool wrote:

... something is not working with the nvidia drivers. How to go back to the old ones ?

Run in terminal:
$ vd-reset

lordcool wrote:

... how to install skype.deb ?

Download and save Skype installer from here https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/f … erimental/ . Navigate to the downloaded file using file manager, and double click it. Follow on screen instructions.

lordcool wrote:

... how to install other languages ?

Please see these instructions https://www.q4os.org/dqa007.html#inter

#11 2017-09-13 10:05

lordcool

addlanguage
/usr/share/apps/q4os_system/bin/dowqi18.sh: 167: /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/bin/dowqi18.sh: kdialog: not found

tryed vdreset then it failed to start x at all. Looks like it loads a lot of different video drivers, intel ,vesa etc and not letting me select one
then reinstalled nvidia-driver and now suddenly I get 1024x768 res.I get no response on the mainboard video card at all.
I see some complaints about broken packages.

skype>  had to login as non-root to install and it works

is there a way to get yahoo messenger ? I only found a 386 version that wont install

Thanx for all the tips

Last edited by lordcool (2017-09-13 10:16)

#12 2017-09-14 09:05

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

lordcool wrote:

addlanguage ... /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/bin/dowqi18.sh: 167: /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/bin/dowqi18.sh: kdialog: not found

You need to run 'addlanguage' as a user in TDE 'konsole' terminal.

Board footer