You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-30 23:12

kneekoo

Q4OS Orion 1.8.7 feedback

Hey, everyone! smile

I was curious what the new version brings, so I gave it a try (live-1.8.7-i686pae). Here's my feedback (for now). First, my Broadcom wifi card works out of the box, which is unusual compared to most distros I tried. big_smile Yay, and thanks! Next, some issues and suggestions.

My test system (Delll mini 10 netbook):
CPU: Intel Atom Z520 (32-bit only)
RAM: 1GB

Boot:
- please disable the speaker beep while booting the installation/live medium, so I don't wake up the sleeping beauty when I try or install Q4OS late nights tongue

WiFi (the default network manager):
- please hide the wifi password by default, and allow seeing it if the user wants
- Connect & Save doesn't connect after the WPA Personal password has been specified (I had to connect explicitly from the systray)
- suggestion: it would be useful if the installer saved and configured the WiFi as it was set up in the live session

Q4OS Installer:
- too tall for 1024x576 (I had to move the panel from the bottom to one side)
- suggestion: in the User info screen display "You must confirm your password" when the second field is empty
- the Partitioning screen has 4 buttons in German (only the 4 buttons on the same line with the expert mode)
- after you start the installation, the installation window gets even taller and the progress bar is barely visible
- suggestion: the slides stop before the copy progress reaches 50%; restarting the slides would be welcome
- suggestion: only copy the wanted locale (it would require a configuration option in the installer)

Start menu:
- drag a menu entry outside the menu, and the menu won't close if you click outside it (it happens only with types: KickOff or Bourbon)

General:
- no screenshot tool?
- several programs in the Control Center are taller than 576 pixels, which makes them either partially or fully unusable on this netbook

Post install:
- the installer said it was installing Chrome (it was copying files) but it was not installed after reboot
- the Desktop Profiler doesn't tell what you've just installed, and how your install compares to the 3 options (Full, Basic, keep)
- LibreOffice Writer (from the menu and as libreoffice --writer from the terminal) crashes silently on start, but Writer starts with libreoffice --global
- the Welcome screen is nowhere to be found in the menu, so you can't easily use it if you hide the dialog at startup
- the Software Centre doesn't seem to know if an application is installed, so all you can do is try to install one if you want to make sure you have it, and you cannot use the Software Centre to uninstall the listed apps; also, I expected more than a 20-item app list
- I'm not sure why Synaptic and the Update Manager aren't installed by default, as most people are not comfortable, nor proficient with the terminal and APT
- I installed the Update Manager but it doesn't show up anywhere (menu, systray); I found it later, after I enabled the display of the Trinity Control Center in the classic menu, but its just a small configuration window, that doesn't say how the updates are taken care of

That's all for now, I hope this info comes in handy. smile I like the OS overall. It's great exploring the legacy of KDE 3 on modern hardware, with evolved software. Too bad my netbook is slow, but I might buy an SSD if I find Q4OS performing stable. smile I also like the RAM usage - this being very important on my un-upgradable netbook. The CPU and RAM are stuck on an add-on board, and I could get another one with 2GB of RAM but it's not worth the trouble. So the SSD would at least eliminate the slowdown generated by the slow and old HDD.

If I can provide more info about Q4OS on this netbook, I'd be glad to offer it. Cheers! cool

#2 2017-07-01 00:17

Dai_trying

Re: Q4OS Orion 1.8.7 feedback

kneekoo wrote:

Boot:
- please disable the speaker beep while booting the installation/live medium, so I don't wake up the sleeping beauty when I try or install Q4OS late nights tongue

This I find annoying too, but it does let you know you are in a live boot so not sure if I would want it removed... smile

kneekoo wrote:

WiFi (the default network manager):
- Connect & Save doesn't connect after the WPA Personal password has been specified (I had to connect explicitly from the systray)
- suggestion: it would be useful if the installer saved and configured the WiFi as it was set up in the live session

The wifi will connect automatically if it is set to in the configuration stage, there is a check box for Autoconnect in Scorpion (I think it was slightly different in Orion something like "connect automatically" on third or fourth dialog page), and I cannot be sure but I think the last time I installed it saved the wifi information from install but would have to check as it has been a while back now, and it was Scorpion. smile

kneekoo wrote:

General:
- no screenshot tool?

Screenshot can be taken by pressing your PrtScr button and then right click on the desktop (or in konqueror) and select Paste Clipboard Contents, you will then be asked for a name for the file and can select the format you want it to be saved as.

kneekoo wrote:

Post install:
- the installer said it was installing Chrome (it was copying files) but it was not installed after reboot

This might need more investigation, but it is usually installed from the live-cd.

kneekoo wrote:

- the Desktop Profiler doesn't tell what you've just installed, and how your install compares to the 3 options (Full, Basic, keep)

This information can be found by looking at the files located in /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/q4os_swprofiler/ they hold the lists of packages to install.

kneekoo wrote:

- the Welcome screen is nowhere to be found in the menu, so you can't easily use it if you hide the dialog at startup

This can be found by right clicking the desktop and select run, now start typing welcome and it should show as an option after a few keystrokes. smile

kneekoo wrote:

- the Software Centre doesn't seem to know if an application is installed, so all you can do is try to install one if you want to make sure you have it, and you cannot use the Software Centre to uninstall the listed apps; also, I expected more than a 20-item app list

The software in the Q4OS Software Centre are supplementary packages, mainly ones that cannot be installed directly using apt-get or synaptic or newer versions that are not yet available through normal installation.

kneekoo wrote:

- I'm not sure why Synaptic and the Update Manager aren't installed by default, as most people are not comfortable, nor proficient with the terminal and APT

I agree, I would have thought synaptic package manager should be included in both basic and full profiles.

kneekoo wrote:

- I installed the Update Manager but it doesn't show up anywhere (menu, systray); I found it later, after I enabled the display of the Trinity Control Center in the classic menu, but its just a small configuration window, that doesn't say how the updates are taken care of

I have written an updater for Q4OS which can be found in this post. it is an alternative to the official Q4OS updater but I like it and it might be worth you trying smile

SSD drives can be a little twitchy (IMO) and I would go for the ram upgrade personally, but I know SSD's are way faster and if everything works ok would definitely make a significant improvement.

#3 2017-07-01 00:18

crosscourt
Website

Cant speak to all your comments as I run Orion on a different system but I didnt have any of the wifi issues you discussed. The installer issue I didnt experience either and I do run Dell D430 mini laptops with 12inch screens. Pixel issue I didnt experience on a 12 inch screen but yes with a smaller screen as you said it may be an issue. No issues with Chrome and Libreoffice so again not sure what to say. Agree that Synaptic should be installed by default.

My experience was about equal between live session and actual install and i install the full desktop profile so i get all the needed programs at boot.

Glad you liked Q4OS overall.

If you decide to run a SSD youd be better off with Scorpion which will be released in the very near future.  More ram is always helpful but running the 32bit version will drop usage quite a bit as an alternative.

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-07-01 00:30)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#4 2017-07-01 06:42

bin

WRT the beeping beep - you may be able to silence it on live media by adding 'modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr' into the boot options available in the boot menu.

Screenshot tool is available - sudo apt-get install ksnaphot-trinity

Puzzled by Locale issue - please can you provide more info - I'm guessing it doesn't install all languages - or does it??? If so that's odd.

Synaptic has a lot of dependencies and space is a premium on a CD sized installer/live system.

I'm sure the excellent dev team will be picking through your comments and looking at issues you have raised. They are very good and fixes where needed are quick to follow any defects they can fix as opposed to upstream issues.

SSD absolute major advantage - I've used them for years with linux. A 120gb drive will do very nicely thank you - that with an extra Gb or two of RAM will really fly.

Enjoy Q4OS. It is very good - but it helps to kick it around a bit once it is installed to get it the way you want. I know you're not a great fan of terminal - but it is part of linux life and gives you the ability to do good stuff. If you use it for nothing else then just use this line 'sudo kcmodules --unlock' so you can get to all the "hidden" configuration tools in Control Centre

#5 2017-07-01 06:45

BSpinoza

I use Dell inspiron mini 1012:
You can solve problems with tall windows: if you right click on the taskbar and there you can change the settings that application windows can cover the taskbar. Then you have enough place on the screen.

#6 2017-07-01 07:39

kneekoo

Thank you all for your replies. That was fast! smile

Dai_trying wrote:
kneekoo wrote:

[...] speaker beep while booting the installation/live medium [...]

This I find annoying too, but it does let you know you are in a live boot so not sure if I would want it removed... smile

Oh, I definitely want it removed. It's way too easy to spot a nice and tidy live session compared to an installed system, so beep-b-gone! big_smile

Dai_trying wrote:
kneekoo wrote:

WiFi (the default network manager) [...]

The wifi will connect automatically if it is set to in the configuration stage [...]

Well... the button should do precisely what it says: Connect & Save. smile

Dai_trying wrote:

Screenshot can be taken by pressing your PrtScr button and then right click on the desktop (or in konqueror) and select Paste Clipboard Contents, you will then be asked for a name for the file and can select the format you want it to be saved as.

Thanks! Not intuitive but easy to remember.

Dai_trying wrote:
kneekoo wrote:

- the Desktop Profiler [...]

This information can be found by looking at the files located in /usr/share/apps/q4os_system/q4os_swprofiler/ they hold the lists of packages to install.

It would be useful to have a link/button in that window, so the users can easily reach the manual entry for that.

Dai_trying wrote:
kneekoo wrote:

- the Welcome screen [...]

This can be found by right clicking the desktop and select run, now start typing welcome [...]

That's pretty good, but it would be much better for everyone unaware of the Run feature if they had a shortcut in the System menu.

Dai_trying wrote:

The software in the Q4OS Software Centre are supplementary packages, mainly ones that cannot be installed directly using apt-get or synaptic or newer versions that are not yet available through normal installation.

Yeah, but (1) they cannot be removed and (2) "Software Centre" implies a sort of an app store. Even the ratings imply there would be more software in there, and once some software gets a better rating, it climbs in the top 20 - although there is no rating system in the Software Centre, which makes one wonder where are those rating coming from.

Dai_trying wrote:

I have written an updater for Q4OS [...]

Thanks! smile I'll look at it.

Dai_trying wrote:

SSD drives can be a little twitchy (IMO) and I would go for the ram upgrade personally, but I know SSD's are way faster and if everything works ok would definitely make a significant improvement.

My only option to upgrade my RAM is buying the Dell part number R031P ($40-$50), which is a board containing the CPU+RAM. Now considering this is just my "toy laptop", it's not justified at all to invest around $100 to give it a little boost. For that kind of money I can get a Core i3 Haswell laptop with 4GB RAM and a 500GB HDD.

@crosscourt: Indeed, on your resolution (1280x800) you can't have issues with the vertical space. I do like Q4OS - TDE tickles my fond memories of KDE 3, and the modern additions make for a decent operating system. big_smile

@bin: Thanks for the advices. The locale issue happens on the live medium, in the installer. I didn't know how to make a screenshot when I installed it but it's just 4 buttons displayed in German instead of English.

As for Synaptic's dependencies, it's hard to believe they wouldn't fit on the live CD image. Its current size is 531MB, so it should fit even on a 650MB CD. The maximum amount of RAM for this netbook is 2GB, and as I explained above... it's not worth it. And the terminal is not a problema at all for me - I don't know why you'd assume that. smile

@BSpinoza: As I mentioned in my opening post, I moved the taskbar out of the way (on the right side) and it's still not enough vertical space for some windows.

Last edited by kneekoo (2017-07-01 07:40)

#7 2017-07-01 09:07

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@kneekoo

Thank you for your report, such a feedback is highly appreciated, you are welcome to keep posting. We will take a look on all your suggestions and try to fix as much as possible.

Some answers and hints:

kneekoo wrote:

Connect & Save doesn't connect after the WPA Personal password has been specified (I had to connect explicitly from the systray)

Yes, we can confirm, there is a known glitch, already reported as a bug here https://bugs.trinitydesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2778, we would recommend to proceed the complete wireless network connection guide, and check "Autoconnect" button. It will save the network, and starts to connect automatically on logon.

kneekoo wrote:

.. it would be useful if the installer saved and configured the WiFi as it was set up in the live session

Yes, it is a planned feature.

kneekoo wrote:

too tall for 1024x576 (I had to move the panel from the bottom to one side)

A way to get some space could be to configure system panel hiding in the panel properties.

kneekoo wrote:

the Partitioning screen has 4 buttons in German (only the 4 buttons on the same line with the expert mode)

Will be fixed.

kneekoo wrote:

drag a menu entry outside the menu, and the menu won't close if you click outside it (it happens only with types: KickOff or Bourbon)

Will be fixed.

kneekoo wrote:

no screenshot tool?

In addition to posts above, we would recommend you to use 'ksnapshot-trinity', a powerful and lightweight screen grabber, please see https://www.q4os.org/dqa011.html#desktop.9

kneekoo wrote:

the installer said it was installing Chrome (it was copying files) but it was not installed after reboot

Yes, Chrome is installed within the live media, however it's removed from final installation to keep it as clean as possible. A user will decide which browser to install then.

kneekoo wrote:

the Desktop Profiler doesn't tell what you've just installed, and how your install compares to the 3 options (Full, Basic, keep)

In addition to Dai_trying's post, we plan to provide more detailed info for desktop profiler.

kneekoo wrote:

LibreOffice Writer (from the menu and as libreoffice --writer from the terminal) crashes silently on start ..

Looks like a highly severe glitch ( could be some temporary Debian bug ? ), however we are not able to reproduce so far. We will keep to investigate it and try to fix as soon as possible.

kneekoo wrote:

the Welcome screen is nowhere to be found in the menu, so you can't easily use it if you hide the dialog at startup

Please see Q4OS documentation https://www.q4os.org/dqa011.html#desktop.5

kneekoo wrote:

the Software Centre doesn't seem to know if an application is installed, so all you can do is try to install one if you want to make sure you have it, and you cannot use the Software Centre to uninstall the listed apps; also, I expected more than a 20-item app list

Yes, planned feature.

kneekoo wrote:

I'm not sure why Synaptic and the Update Manager aren't installed by default, as most people are not comfortable, nor proficient with the terminal and APT

The intention is to keep system as clean as possible to let users to decide what applications to install. The desktop profiler should provide a comprehensive set of software for beginners and regular users.

kneekoo wrote:

I installed the Update Manager but it doesn't show up anywhere (menu, systray); I found it later, after I enabled the display of the Trinity Control Center in the classic menu, but its just a small configuration window, that doesn't say how the updates are taken care of

Update manager just run on the background and notifies user in the system tray, as an update is available.

kneekoo wrote:

As for Synaptic's dependencies, it's hard to believe they wouldn't fit on the live CD image. Its current size is 531MB, so it should fit even on a 650MB CD.

We need to keep live media as small as possible to be able to reside live image in RAM memory, when possible.

One more thank for you helpful feedback, you are welcome to keep posting smile

#8 2017-07-01 16:37

kneekoo

Thanks for your comprehensive reply! smile I just started a new install to confirm some issues and do more testing.

q4osteam wrote:

we would recommend to proceed the complete wireless network connection guide, and check "Autoconnect" button.[...]

I installed the Gnome/MATE network-manager because I like it better, so "problem solved". tongue But after I reinstalled I discovered something new. After you save your connection, the password is not presented in the settings window when you go back later to edit the configuration. That means that if you simply want to check the "Autoconnect" box later and save the settings, you will remove the password because the Shared Key field is always empty when you edit a connection.

q4osteam wrote:

A way to get some space could be to configure system panel hiding in the panel properties.

I already have the maximum possible space (I moved the panel to right side) and it's still not enough with some windows - even the installer in the live session.

q4osteam wrote:

Yes, Chrome is installed within the live media, however it's removed from final installation to keep it as clean as possible. A user will decide which browser to install then.

The Q4OS installer (in the live session) showed how it was copying Chromium, so it's installed in the first stage of the setup, then it is uninstalled at the end - this really doesn't make sense.

q4osteam wrote:

Please see Q4OS documentation https://www.q4os.org/dqa011.html#desktop.5

But why not add this shortcut by default? As long as the program is installed anyway, the shortcut only takes a few extra bytes.

q4osteam wrote:
kneekoo wrote:

I'm not sure why Synaptic and the Update Manager aren't installed by default [...]

The intention is to keep system as clean as possible to let users to decide what applications to install. [...]

This makes perfect sense for the power users, but are they the only one targeted by Q4OS? I admit I didn't look for the project's description or its roadmap (if it has a public one), which is why I'm confused about a few aspects. The OS is nicely polished, which makes it accessible to everyone, but the common users (especially those coming from Windows) have no idea what a package manager is, or how it all works. That's why I would offer it by default, along with the update manager - both essential features in an Internet-connected world.

q4osteam wrote:

We need to keep live media as small as possible to be able to reside live image in RAM memory, when possible.

OK, but then I don't understand two things:
1. Konqueror looks good enough for a live session. Why include Chromium if it doesn't even end up in the final install?
2. There is no boot-to-RAM grub entry. How would the average/unaware user boot to RAM in this case? And considering Chromium seems rather redundant, why not take advantage of that to reduce the ISO size and make it faster to boot to RAM?

And talking about grub, @bin: By booting the live medium to reinstall I realized that blacklisting the PC speaker driver is irrelevant considering the beep happens before grub is even displayed.

#9 2017-07-01 16:44

crosscourt
Website

I also have fond memories of KDE3 which is what drew me to TDE in the first place.  Hope you continue to enjoy Q4OS.

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-07-01 16:47)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#10 2017-07-02 06:15

bin

kneekoo wrote:

Thanks for your comprehensive reply! smile I just started a new install to confirm some issues and do more testing.
And talking about grub, @bin: By booting the live medium to reinstall I realized that blacklisting the PC speaker driver is irrelevant considering the beep happens before grub is even displayed.

Ah - that's a new bit of information. If it is beeping before grub is displayed I'd suggest it is not related to Q4OS.

Dell beep code for 1 beep is BIOS ROM checksum in progress or failure.

If it is coming from the speakers then the simple solution - which as a very early riser I use all the time to avoid loud noises by accident  - is to leave an earphone plug in the headphone socket.

If it is coming from a sounder on the m/board then unless there's a BIOS option to disable it then it may be just one of those things.

Does it happen with other linux versions? Certainly I have had beeping distros - usually Debian - but not as I recall beeping before linux is even involved. My Dell 1504 does not beep on boot with Q4OS so I'm not able to suggest any other workaround, my apologies.

#11 2017-07-02 06:48

kneekoo

Nope, most distros don't beep. Debian and Q4OS both beep, but it happens right before grub is displayed, meaning that it's in a fraction of a second before you see it displayed. So it's not a system beep, but rather something done by the boot loader.

#12 2017-07-02 08:13

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@kneekoo

kneekoo wrote:

.. web browsers, Konqueror / Chrome ..

Konqueror is not usable for regular web browsing, unfortunately. It's lightweight browser and could be used for a basic and quick Internet access, but we definitely need some mainstream browser for live media.

Why is Chrome removed during installation. Live media installation routine simply copy the complete live image to target disk first and then makes configuration and customization. In short, it does 'chroot' into the installed system and removes some unneeded bits and makes configuration. It would be very complicated to somehow exclude all Chrome files from copying, as it's varying version by version and is regularly installed by APT. The clean, and by far most easy way, is to remove Chrome, and other unwanted software, using APT package management system at the end of setup process. We can agree, it could be a bit confusing, but other ways would be too complicated at the moment.

We want to avoid Chrome installation into the target system for several reasons. The most relevant is to keep the fresh installation as clean as possible, and second is to make a web browser choice possible for Q4OS users. Somebody just prefers Firefox or other web browser. There is the Desktop Profiler tool available for beginners, that makes possible to easily install a complete software set, please see answer a few paragraphs below.

kneekoo wrote:

I installed the Gnome/MATE network-manager ...

We would recommend you to install Network Manager from Software Centre, as it's actually Gnome NM applet with a delicate customization for Trinity DE.

kneekoo wrote:

But after I reinstalled I discovered something new. After you save your connection, the password is not presented in the settings window when you go back later to edit the configuration. That means that if you simply want to check the "Autoconnect" box later and save the settings, you will remove the password because the Shared Key field is always empty when you edit a connection.

Thanks for the info, we will investigate it in detail and possibly file another bug at the TDE site.

kneekoo wrote:

... welcome screen ... But why not add this shortcut by default? As long as the program is installed anyway, the shortcut only takes a few extra bytes.

Yes, it could be included, however it should be one-shot tool only. We will take an internal debate about it.

kneekoo wrote:

There is no boot-to-RAM grub entry. How would the average/unaware user boot to RAM in this case?

Live media detects amount of RAM during boot and automatically moves filesystem to RAM, when possible.

kneekoo wrote:

I'm not sure why Synaptic and the Update Manager aren't installed by default ...
... This makes perfect sense for the power users, but are they the only one targeted by Q4OS? ... but the common users (especially those coming from Windows) have no idea what a package manager is, or how it all works. That's why I would offer it by default, along with the update manager - both essential features in an Internet-connected world.

Q4OS Desktop Profiler comes in here. Any user is appealed to apply a "desktop profile" after a clean Q4OS installation. We would assume, regular users and beginners will choose the "Desktop profile" with a complete software set. The desktop profiler should lead them in a very easy "one-click" way. The Desktop Profiler makes us possible to keep the fresh system clean for power users, while complete for beginners

kneekoo wrote:

Beep on boot

Beeping on boot is dedicated from Debian and is probably provided by the isolinux bootloader. We will consider the beep removal, thanks for that tip.

#13 2017-07-02 09:00

Dai_trying

just a quick note on the beep, it is the grub beep and could probably be removed quite easily if user was to customize the iso but that in itself is not a trivial task. Like I said earlier though it is a good indication that you have a live media booting in case it has been left in the machine and is not what you wanted to boot from, easier to get a beep and prevent starting the boot process than it is to wait for live media to boot and then shut it down... Just my $0.02

#14 2017-07-02 13:09

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

In addition, more info to Libreoffice writer crash http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1676

#15 2017-07-02 16:57

crosscourt
Website

I run nothing but Dell systems from 2004 to 2012, laptops, netbooks, and desktops with varying bios and none of them with Q4OS installed 32bit/64bit beep at any time during boot.  Dell systems tend to beep more when there are bios configuration changes(amount of ram for instance) or some type of system issue regardless of OS. I also dont get beeps with discs left in the drive though the system may halt depending on the nature of that disc.
I dont run any Atom systems so my experience may not reflect specific issues seen with such systems and the types of bios they use, which many times have acpi issues and limited legacy/secure boot control.

I highly recommend that anyone who uses Q4OS for the first time use the full desktop profile for install as it will prevent any issues from cropping up and make youre first experience very easy.

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-07-02 17:31)

#16 2017-07-02 20:08

crosscourt
Website

Libreoffice writer issue seems to have some interesting issues as the devs reported its limited to the 32bit version and Java appeared to be the main cause.

If you Google and look thru the many reports, it appears some 64bit users are having problems as well, and some have had success turning off OpenGL(enabled by default) or hardware acceleration or both.  Most of the reports are coming from Debian based distros and some of the posts about this issue came from the Mint and Ubuntu forums.

My 64bit install with Libreoffice runs fine and I dont have a 32bit install to try presently but my original 32bit install of a few weeks ago didnt have any issues with Libreoffice Writer.

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-07-02 20:29)

#17 2017-07-02 20:29

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

crosscourt wrote:

I highly recommend that anyone who uses Q4OS for the first time use the full desktop profile for install ...

We recommend the full desktop profile for novice / beginners / ordinary users, the basic profile for advanced users and pure profile for experts only.

@anybody
Please post everything related to libreoffice writer crash into this topic http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1676

#18 2017-07-02 20:34

crosscourt
Website

Will do, all additional comments on Libreoffice Writer in your thread.

Dont disagree with your recommendations just reiterating that anyone who is new to Q4OS will be better off with the full desktop profile, including intermediate users.

#19 2017-07-03 07:09

kneekoo

q4osteam wrote:

It would be very complicated to somehow exclude all Chrome files from copying [...]

List all the files of a package with dpkg-query -L <package_name> in a text file, or do this: https://superuser.com/a/904419
Then you can exclude the list of files with rsync: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/01/rsy … d-folders/

q4osteam wrote:

We want to avoid Chrome installation into the target system

What if you would ask the users if they want Chromium with their Q4OS installations? If they want it, the setup would copy it as is does now. If they don't want it, you can exclude it like I mentioned above. It would save time either way.

q4osteam wrote:
kneekoo wrote:

... welcome screen ...

Yes, it could be included, however it should be one-shot tool only. We will take an internal debate about it.

I find that tool useful for more than accessing the Desktop Profiler. I also changed the menu layout with it, and I accessed the Software Centre. But as long as it has "Show this dialog at startup" it makes sense that if I ignore and close the welcome screen, at least I should easily find it again later when I need it.

q4osteam wrote:

The Desktop Profiler makes us possible to keep the fresh system clean for power users, while complete for beginners

It would be very useful if we could see a side-by-side comparison of the profiles. Also, I appreciate the clean system by default but the pure profile seemed so bare, it got me thinking... "OK, what happens if I choose this? Does anything get removed?" So I chose option #2 to be on the safe side. It's still a bit hard for me to understand why the users are free to choose their browser, but then the Complete profile would install a collection of programs that the users know nothing about. This feature could use some improvements, but it's a new topic on its own.

Thanks again for your replies. smile This forum is great! big_smile

#20 2017-07-03 09:16

Dai_trying

I have posted in the Tips and Tutorials section for keeping the welcome screen available from the menu.

HTH

#21 2017-07-03 20:47

crosscourt
Website

Great idea Dai!

#22 2017-07-03 23:22

Dai_trying

cool

#23 2017-07-04 09:46

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

kneekoo wrote:

List all the files of a package with dpkg-query -L <package_name> in a text file ...

Yes, it would be a way, but not complete. We would also need to properly update APT and DPKG cache and related files in accordance to Chrome removal. We absolutely agree your suggested solution would be better, and we would like to apply it in the future. Unfortunately, we have limited resources at the moment and our small team is not able to provide and maintain such kind of, sorry for that term, "expensive" optimizations.

By the way, we know about a few cool features and improvements for Q4OS. It will be provided as soon as more resources will be available for Q4OS development team.

kneekoo wrote:

It would be very useful if we could see a side-by-side comparison of the profiles. ..

Yes, we want to extend Desktop Profiler to be more verbose in the future.

Board footer