You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-29 08:36

bobby
Website

What tutorials are needed.

I am looking for suggestions on what tutorials should be created.  There are a few install tutorials on Youtube and some reviews.

What are 5 Q4OS related tutorials would be nice and if you would put them in order of importance that would be helpful.

1 - Installing Q4OS (including differences in basic & desktop installations)

2 - Installing Q4OS Optimized Applicaitons via Q4OS Installer

3 - Do and don'ts of Terminal Package installing

4 - Apache + MySQL + PHP  or LAMP

5 - Developer Related ?

OR ?

No Longer Using Q4OS

#2 2015-12-29 12:07

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: What tutorials are needed.

You are welcome to create new or extend current Q4OS tutorials. Point #1 is the most needed for now.

#3 2015-12-29 17:53

bobby
Website

Thank you. Will do #1 first very soon.

No Longer Using Q4OS

#4 2015-12-31 12:20

Steve

@bobby

Quite by chance yesterday I stumbled into the learning portal.  A brave initiative, I wish you every success.

Please remember Q4OS also runs on Raspberry Pi 2.  It's not just a i386/amd64 distro, there is a armhf build as well.  A modest mention with a link to the download page and a link to the installation instructions would not go amiss.  Especially the latter since the installation instructions are not (currently) packaged together with the installation image in the zip file.

I confess I never read the installation instructions, I just opened a terminal in the directory containing the installable image and typed:

• dd if=q4os-1.4.4.1-rpi.img of=/dev/<micro-SD card>

• sync

Of course, incorrect use of the dd command can have 'unfortunate' consequences and people must check and re-check what they have typed before hitting the enter key.

In two weeks I went from not even knowing Q4OS existed to happily running it on my RPi2, (note Q4OS is an armhf build and as such will not run on the original RPi).  My prefered applications and tools are all installed and I still have ample room in the root partition to add more should it ever be necessary.  I have a couple of minor issues, perhaps my own fault as an inexperience user, perhaps minor blemishes in the current build that will disappear with the next release.  Anyone who wishes to run a desktop system on a RPi2 would be well advised to give Q4OS a try.

#5 2015-12-31 12:34

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Steve wrote:

Q4OS is an armhf build and as such will not run on the original RPi

Not correct, original RPi runs Q4OS as well as other armhf builds, for ex. Raspbian.

#6 2015-12-31 15:39

Steve

My appologies for the mistake.  That's the trouble with users, they keep on making mistakes!

#7 2015-12-31 17:47

bobby
Website

Steve, Thank You for mentioning this.  I will include a section about  RPi version of Q4OS  on Learning Portal site.

No Longer Using Q4OS

Board footer