You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-25 15:15

cjoliprsf

Question on Update Manager

Hello,
I am wondering if there is a way to turn the Update Manager on and off.
In other words, I don't like to have it running in the backgroung all the time, and I would prefer to be able to run it when I decide so.

In the configuration GUI for the Update Manager, there is no possibility to turn it off - I think it would be a great idea to have such a possibility.

Also I was searching for some configuration of the programs that are automatically loaded at startup, so I could deactivate the Update Manager there, but can't find this.
I've looked at a few obvious places like /etc/rc.local, and I can see a number of rcN.d subdirectories, but I don't find easily what I am looking for...

Thanks,
Claude

#2 2017-04-25 15:50

Dai_trying

Re: Question on Update Manager

There are a number of different update options available, you could remove the Update Manager and just use synaptic or the command-line apt-get to install your updates, it really depends on whether you want to be notified when updates are available, if so you will need to have something running that will check and notify you, and turning this off would mean you would not get this notification.

I cannot say how to prevent this from initially running as I don't use it (unless you are talking about my update notifier) but will install it (Update Manager from Q4OS Software Centre)in a VM to test.

#3 2017-04-25 15:58

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

cjoliprsf wrote:

Also I was searching for some configuration of the programs that are automatically loaded at startup, so I could deactivate the Update Manager there, but can't find this.

You need to edit the file '/etc/xdg/autostart/q4os-pkui.desktop' as root and add the line 'Hidden=true'

#4 2017-04-25 16:11

cjoliprsf

Actually, what I would like is to be able to run the Update manager when I choose, and get a list of the available updates.
Then it would be great if I could deselect some of the recommended updates - I don't necessarily wish to update all that is available.
For example, there was an update of the software profiler recently. Since I ran this profiler once at installation, and I don't expect to run it again, there is no point in updating this program...
Claude

#5 2017-04-25 16:25

cjoliprsf

Dai_trying wrote:

I cannot say how to prevent this from initially running as I don't use it (unless you are talking about my update notifier) but will install it (Update Manager from Q4OS Software Centre)in a VM to test.

I just had a look at this thread, and your UM would probably be a better option for my needs.
I think I will install it.
New Version 0.0.1-20 is the last I gather? Since you haven't updated for over a year, It seems to be now quite mature.
Claude

#6 2017-04-25 16:53

Dai_trying

I have updated it slightly due to a small glitch version 0.0.1-21 is the latest but I haven't updated the post so will do that very soon, it's not really a big change only I removed the dialog that asks if you are sure you want to quit.
Although I like my updater it might not really fit your needs, it will simply install all updates (dist-upgrade) and I currently have not coded an optional install component, although it is in the pipeline for the future.

#7 2017-04-25 18:15

cjoliprsf

Dai_trying wrote:

Although I like my updater it might not really fit your needs, it will simply install all updates (dist-upgrade) and I currently have not coded an optional install component, although it is in the pipeline for the future.

Oh... Unfortunate.
Anyone knows of an updater that would do what I need?
For example, Linux Mint's updater does exactly that. All updates are shown and the user has the possibility to check only those really needed.
However I don't think I could use that updater in Q4OS...
Claude

#8 2017-04-25 20:38

Dai_trying

One option is to use synaptic package manager for updates, you can tell it to mark the upgrades and then go through and de-select what you don't want upgraded. Not an elegant solution I know, but it's a workaround.
I'm not sure if it would be possible to build Mint's updater for Q4OS, but I think it's mostly python and bash so it might be easily converted, although I recall it having some custom features based around the fact that they only update packages on a group basis (they have "levels" for different sets of updates). So it would depend how it all ties together really, but it might be possible.

#9 2017-04-26 05:00

cjoliprsf

Dai_trying wrote:

One option is to use synaptic package manager for updates, you can tell it to mark the upgrades and then go through and de-select what you don't want upgraded. Not an elegant solution I know, but it's a workaround.

Yes, I've had a look at it, and although not the most appealing at first sight, it seems it could work if I learn to "master the beast"...

As a complementary question - can I then use Synaptics to uninstall the package "q4os-update-manager" - any problem in doing this?

I'm not sure if it would be possible to build Mint's updater for Q4OS, but I think it's mostly python and bash so it might be easily converted, although I recall it having some custom features based around the fact that they only update packages on a group basis (they have "levels" for different sets of updates). So it would depend how it all ties together really, but it might be possible.

Sure, Mint's updater is an example... All recommended updates are ranked from 1 to 5 depending on whether they are considered essential for security (rank 1), or could possibly break the system (rank 5) hence only for experts. They generally recommend to make the updates that are ranked 1 to 3. However each individual update can be deselected, so that I can update only what I decide.
If you could enhance your own updater to offer such functionality, it would definitely be an asset for Q4OS!

After all, one of the beauties of Linux is that the user can have full control on his system. And one of the main reasons I will never update any Windows machine to Windows 10 is that the user has no more control on the updater - Microsoft has decided they would impose the updates!
Claude

#10 2017-04-26 07:11

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@Dai_trying
If you would want try to get Mint updater working in Q4OS, we can recommend you to start from the LMDE2 Betsy package, as it's based on Debian Jessie as well as Q4OS. You can directly download sources and .deb here http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Betsy

#11 2017-04-26 08:45

Dai_trying

cjoliprsf wrote:

As a complementary question - can I then use Synaptics to uninstall the package "q4os-update-manager" - any problem in doing this?

That should be ok.

cjoliprsf wrote:

If you could enhance your own updater to offer such functionality, it would definitely be an asset for Q4OS!

Yes I will be looking to add a lot more functionality to this in the future.

@Q4OS Team
Thanks, I will be looking through this in order to improve (or maybe rewrite) my updater, or maybe just port it to Q4OS if that will be easier.

Board footer