You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-21 21:20

Dai_trying

Dialog prevents shutdown

I have removed the quit dialog from my Xmms2 Client as it can prevent shutdown of the system, I wondered if this should be normal behaviour or whether the system should force quit the program that is waiting for a response (after a timeout).

I noticed that when I had shutdown the system and walked away without waiting, and then returned around half an hour later, I was surprised to see the screen still on. I had minimized the client while I was listening to music so could not immediately see what the problem was, it was only when I noticed in the taskbar the client was highlighted that I selected it and the message was displayed. Only after selecting to quit the client did the machine shut down.

Also if I selected no to the dialog (to not quit) logout was cancelled, which might be expected behaviour although I would have expected the system command to shut down to take priority...

#2 2017-04-22 08:48

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Dialog prevents shutdown

Dai_trying wrote:

I have removed the quit dialog from my Xmms2 Client as it can prevent shutdown of the system, I wondered if this should be normal behaviour or whether the system should force quit the program that is waiting for a response (after a timeout).

Shutdown preventing is needed for text editors and other applications that could lose some unsaved data. Of course, forcing quit would be better in case of this type of applications like, for example, media players. A solution for that case would be to not use default confirmation dialog, but to create a custom one.

#3 2017-04-22 11:20

Dai_trying

Re: Dialog prevents shutdown

Yes I think you are right, I will just leave the quit dialog out as it is not really important, it does not affect the playing media as it is being handled by Xmms2 which will exit on request from the system.

Board footer