You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-14 20:59

Dai_trying

Scorpion VirtualBox and Windows 10

Ok so I installed Windows 10 in a UEFI VM and it installed and runs fine, I do have one slight problem that I can't seem to figure out though... I wanted to use SketchUp for a project I am working on and was fed up of rebooting to Win10 just to run it, so I installed it and wanted to run it in "seamless mode" to enable full screen display of SU. When I switch to seamless I end up with a dull display like it has a 50/50 transparent layer, this causes everything to appear as if I am looking though sunglasses and is not really workable.

I am currently using it in fullscreen mode but you do lose some of the screen to borders, menu bars etc and would prefer to have it in seamless mode to use the full screen area.

I rebooted into Debian Stretch XFCE and ran the same VM from there and it worked as expected, so I know the VM is set-up correctly.

Any ideas/advice/suggestions?

#2 2017-04-14 21:26

Dai_trying

Re: Scorpion VirtualBox and Windows 10

I just disabled all shadowing effects and that seems to have cleared it up, I guess I should have tried before posting... roll

#3 2017-04-14 22:04

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Dai_trying wrote:

I wanted to use SketchUp ...

Google SketchUp is also available, and hopefully usable, as a Wine app from 'Playonlinux'. You could just pick it up from Playonlinux supported applications.

#4 2017-04-14 22:09

Dai_trying

That sound like a better option! thanks guys, I'll look at that over the weekend and hopefully use it that way. smile

#5 2017-04-14 23:16

Dai_trying

I installed playonlinux and attempted to install SU but get error POL_wine crashed, I have not installed wine individually nor any other packages, should I need to install anything other than playonlinux for it to work? Or maybe should I configure something?

Just to let anyone reading this know, I am (IMO) quite proficient in most things Linux, but have pretty much no experience with wine or playonlinux, I usually use a VM for any Windows apps I need, so please treat me as a noob with any advise.

Dai

#6 2017-04-14 23:22

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We guess, you need to get 'wine32' package installed, so you need to enable i386 architecture using multiarch first:
$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
$ sudo apt-get install wine32

or simply install 'Wine layer' from Q4OS software centre, it will install and configure all the needed automatically.

#7 2017-04-15 00:07

Dai_trying

Thanks again guys, I simply installed Wine from the Q4OS Software Centre and everything ran very smoothly indeed! It is a shame that playonlinux uses such an old version though (8), although I have read some other guides about installing so might try and get version 17 running if I can. I'll post here if I do in case others will want to try. smile

#8 2017-04-15 06:10

bin

Dai - it may help with your adventures if you install the latest version of Wine within POL as it may give better support for the new versions of SU

Once POL is installed and you have a working prefix/vm you can update that to use the latest version of Wine which it installs within itself. A bit like building a Vista VM and upgrading it to Windows 10.

Open POL
Select the prefix / VM
Configure
General Tab>Wine Version>Click the +
Select 32 or 64 bit as appropriate
Select the Wine version - 2.6 is there right now
Click right arrow to > Installed
Let it do its thing - will dl Wine and Mono bits as required.
Enjoy!

#9 2017-04-15 07:53

Dai_trying

Thank you bin,
  I have dl'd the latest wine version (2.6 32 bit) although it only shows 2.5 (and 2.5 staging) for 64 bit. I think SU (8 from POL) is 32 bit as there are currently no 64 bit wine versions showing as installed but I will have a go at installing SU 17 later today which is only available as 64 bit so we will see what happens smile

According to what I have read so far I will have to extract the msi installer from the downloaded exe file, and then use that to install, does that sound normal for wine installations?

Last edited by Dai_trying (2017-04-15 07:54)

#10 2017-04-15 13:24

bin

I believe    
POL_Wine msiexec /i $INSTALLER

or

POL_Wine start msiexec /i $INSTALLER

is supposed to handle msi in POL

I normally use Crossover Office for msi stuff as it normally wants to install other dlls and that works much better in Crossover - but then I only really need it for Office for those occasions where I have to test docs and forms native to ensure they look OK.

#11 2017-04-15 15:34

Dai_trying

I just installed the trial version of crossover and it is very good, and has installed SU 16 with no issues, although it is only the 32 bit version but from looking around I see most software under wine seems to be 32 bit. If there are problems with 64 bit software then SU16 will be the last one that can be used as version 17 is 64 bit only.
I might d/l the 32 bit SU16 installer and try that, I have been using (or trying to use) the 64 bit one until now so with a little luck I will have more success with this one.

#12 2017-04-15 22:51

Dai_trying

Ok I have a working installation of SketchUp 2016 (32 bit) and it was pretty easy to get running once I figured out how to do it. smile

For anyone wanting to do the same, it is just a matter of installing wine from the Q4OS Software Centre, then download the installer (2016 32 bit is the latest I could get working) then start PlayOnLinux and select Install a program.

Next select Install a non-listed program from the bottom left of the dialog. At some stage you will get warnings about not running to WineHq if you have a problem installing something but you can click the "do not show" boxes to remove them from further installs.

Now click next from the welcome screen, and select install a program in a new virtual drive then click next.
Now give the program a name and click next.

Now comes the tricky bit (it was for me anyway), you now can choose which version of wine to use, configuration options and additional libraries to install, I selected all three boxes and click next.

If you have already installed different versions of wine you can now select which one to use, I initially chose system but then installed 2.6 later (and changed it after installation without issue).

After this select 32 bits windows installation and click next, Wine will now create the virtual space and offer to install any pre-requisites for you.

You will now be presented with the Wine Configuration dialog, the only thing I changed was the Windows version to be Windows 7 (minimum required for SU 16) and then click OK.

The next dialog is to choose additional libraries, I chose POL_Install_dotnet45 and clicked next, then I was offerd to have microsoft fonts installed and I answered yes and agreed to the terms.

Installing dotnet45 will take some time and it also appears to install dotnet 2, 3, 4 and then 4.5 so be prepared to wait a while. I had a file mismatch with dotnetfx3.exe so i chose not to retry and clicked next to continue and it carried on installing

After this I had to select the file for installation, this is where you will point to the file you previously downloaded and it will (should) run through the installation without issue (fingers crossed smile )

I hope this will be useful to someone and I will probably come back to this if I need to re-install (I do that a lot smile ) and if there is anything that is wrong or doesn't work please let me know and I will edit the post accordingly.

Dai

Last edited by Dai_trying (2017-04-15 22:52)

#13 2017-04-16 07:34

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@Dai_trying
Great job, would you cut&paste this guide to the 'Tips and tutorials' section please ?

#14 2017-04-16 08:32

Dai_trying

Done cool

#15 2017-04-16 08:34

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Thanks smile

Board footer