You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-15 18:19

philc

Sound not available on startup; Powersave malfunctioning

Hello,

I installed 32 bit Q4OS on my old Toshiba AMD Turion64x2 equipped laptop just over three weeks ago and everything has worked very nicely. 

I turned on from cold this morning and the sound was not present; also Powersave is not always reacting and going on to power saving mode if I pull the power lead out. On the latest restart Powersave worked normally at first, with notifications from the system tray and a change to powersave if I pull the power lead but is not working after the time it has taken to write this. I can not see any other problems at the moment.

Recently changes on the computer have been the installation of Pepper Flash on Chromium and the installation of the program that lets Firefox use this for Flash content, both via Synaptic and both successful.

There was an update for Chromium Flash and some Java files this morning which I accepted.  I had not noticed the problem by this time and can not say if I had sound before this update.

The sound mixer in the system tray is not muted.

I have run:

$ artsplay /opt/trinity/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav

At first this responded with sound, but after a restart or two stopped responding.

I then ran:

$ artsshell terminate
aplay /opt/trinity/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav

I got no sound as Konsole announced that the file was running.

I notice that if I go to Control Centre/Peripherals/Information/Sound that the soundcard config options for the kernel are stated as 0 and against audio, synth and midi devices and also against mixers is written NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG.  I do not know if any of these settings are  significant. The driver information looks OK to my untutored eye.

If anyone can help me to get the sound back and have Q4OS running like it was, I would be very grateful.

#2 2017-04-15 20:29

philc

Re: Sound not available on startup; Powersave malfunctioning

Hello again,

I opened pavucontrol and noticed that the output devices master maximum level was set quite low.  I moved this to 100% and sound returned.

Powersave now seems more or less OK.

Please regard my queries as solved.

Thanks again,
philc

#3 2017-04-15 20:31

Dai_trying

Re: Sound not available on startup; Powersave malfunctioning

Hi philc, I have had a similar issue when sound has occasionally stopped working and one thing that usually worked was to go into kmix and go to the Switches tab, you should have a couple of options there and just click to disable and then enable them, I don't know what it actually does (apart from maybe unloading and then reloading a module or something) but it has worked on a few occasions for me.

I have been using Scorpion (testing version) for quite some time though so this might not have any effect with Orion.

If you are still having problems could you install inxi and post the output of

inxi -F

it will allow us to see better the configuration of your machine, and hopefully lead to less questions needing to be asked. smile

EDIT 2 minutes too slow typing big_smile

Last edited by Dai_trying (2017-04-15 20:32)

Board footer