You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-08 04:34

DavidB
Website

WPS Office Suite on Q4OS

Just finished doing a test run of the Kingsoft WPS office suite on my netbook running Q4OS and it seems to be working just fine.  It also looks great, too.  I ran the "install font" script that comes with the Linux WPS .tar file and it successfully installed the font set under my user account; no need to run it as root.

I didn't even have to install WPS to get it to work, I just ran it from my SD card, using the command line.

You can download a copy of Linux WPS, free of cost, from http://www.wps.com/linux

It's not open source, like LibreOffice is, but I do find it to be a very well written office suite that works great with documents created with MS-Office.  I also find it to be a little more responsive than LibreOffice, especially with larger documents.

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#2 2015-12-08 21:51

DavidB
Website

Re: WPS Office Suite on Q4OS

I think my biggest issue right now with LibreOffice is that it's such a large install; the space on my little EeePC, with 4GB SSD, is already quite full.  Installing LibreOffice will leave me with no space on my system! LOL.  It's nice being able to run WPS off of the SSD card and not have to install it.

Don't get me wrong, though, I do like LibreOffice.

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#3 2015-12-09 01:29

DavidB
Website

Where did all of this installing of applications come from anyway?  Why can't we just have a file that contains the program or application (like WPS) just like the good ol' days, on my Commodore 64? LOL!

I still enjoy using my C64.  No viruses, no crashing, and no "installing".  Just plug in a floppy disk and run the program.  Why can't we have more self contained applications?  ;o)

#4 2015-12-09 04:09

DavidB
Website

Yes, multi-tasking does have its advantages!

Board footer