You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-09 23:51

q4os_user

Laptop thinks it's still plugged-in even though it isn't

I have recently installed Q4OS on my friend's Samsung N130, and suspend seems to work fine, however... If you suspend the plugged-in laptop, and then disconnect it while suspended, the result is that after waking up the computer thinks it is still connected to the power source. If you put the power adapter plug in, and then take it out, everything's back to normal. Tdepowersave is present on this system. Hmm... I wonder whether the same thing would happen for hibernation, freeze, and so on.

Q4OS 1.4.12, all updates installed

#2 2016-08-13 19:13

q4os_user

Re: Laptop thinks it's still plugged-in even though it isn't

By "the laptop thinks it's still plugged-in", I mean that the tdepowersave profile is being set to "plugged-in" even when using battery (if the conditions I described in my first post are met). Am I the only person who is experiencing this issue?

#3 2016-08-14 08:04

Dai_trying

I don't usually use suspend feature but I will try it to see if I can reproduce it here. Are you using a 32 or 64 bit installation?

#4 2016-08-14 08:59

Dai_trying

My tests showed the charger unplugged upon resume.
I used the Suspend to RAM feature from right clicking TDEPowersave icon and unplugged the power after it suspended. Upon startup i was shown a notification the the power was unplugged.
I am using 64 bit version (1.4.12-n1) all updates installed, on a Toshiba Satellite.

#5 2016-08-14 13:55

q4os_user

Dai_trying wrote:

I don't usually use suspend feature but I will try it to see if I can reproduce it here. Are you using a 32 or 64 bit installation?

Samsung N130 supports only 32-bit systems. My cousin uses the power button to suspend and resume (BTW, you can't use the keyboard or touchpad to wake it up), not the menu option. And one more thing, I installed the "full desktop" profile, so I don't think anything is missing.

Last edited by q4os_user (2016-08-14 13:58)

#6 2016-08-14 14:42

Dai_trying

I tried changing the suspend to the power button and everything worked as it should again on my system, the only difference is I'm using 64 bit, my 32 bit laptop is not available to use at the moment so I can't test how that works. I could try installing 32 bit on this laptop but I do not have the time at the moment to try it, If I get time later / tomorrow I will give it a go and see how that goes.
One thing you could try on the Samsung is try removing tdepowersave with

sudo apt-get --purge remove tdepowersave-trinity

this will remove config files too, and then re-install it to see if it helps.

sudo apt-get install tdepowersave-trinity

It might put something right that wasn't quite right before, I have had to do similar in the past for mis-behaving software. smile

Last edited by Dai_trying (2016-08-14 14:43)

#7 2017-03-28 00:27

q4os_user

Dai_trying wrote:

I tried changing the suspend to the power button and everything worked as it should again on my system, the only difference is I'm using 64 bit, my 32 bit laptop is not available to use at the moment so I can't test how that works. I could try installing 32 bit on this laptop but I do not have the time at the moment to try it, If I get time later / tomorrow I will give it a go and see how that goes.
[...]

Unfortunately, even on Q4OS 1.8.3 the problem is still there. BTW, Dai_trying, have you finally tested this with the 32-bit version?

#8 2017-03-28 00:46

Dai_trying

Apologies, I haven't tried this yet. I should have some free time tomorrow (a bit too late for tonight) and will check on other laptop and get back to you.

#9 2017-03-29 08:19

Dai_trying

@q4os_user
    I did try this yesterday but could not use my 32bit laptop as I have removed the battery and used the cells for an arduino project (Doh!) but I did try in a VM and it seems to be working correctly, although there is a delay but I guess that is expected from a VM.
Sorry I couldn't help more...

#10 2017-03-30 00:13

q4os_user

Dai_trying wrote:

@q4os_user
    I did try this yesterday but could not use my 32bit laptop as I have removed the battery and used the cells for an arduino project (Doh!) but I did try in a VM and it seems to be working correctly, although there is a delay but I guess that is expected from a VM.
Sorry I couldn't help more...

Thanks anyway! I will test this laptop with Scorpio in the future and report back.

#11 2017-03-30 05:56

bin

It may help to install ACPI

In Synaptic make sure you have the following installed followed by a reboot.
acpi
acpi-fakekey
acpi-support
acpi-support-base
acpid

acpi support is able to:
* Detect loss and gain of AC power, lid closure, and the press of a
   number of specific buttons (on Asus, IBM, Lenovo, Panasonic, Sony
   and Toshiba laptops).
* Suspend, hibernate and resume the computer, with workarounds for
   hardware that needs it.
* On some laptops, set screen brightness.

Board footer