You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-08 04:54

videomicloud

Open and save libreoffice files to network share

I was working in libreoffice today and I cannot save or open a file across the network. Googled it and saw that it's a pretty common issue although the suggested "fixes" ranged far and wide and none seemed to apply to debian distributions.

I first navigated to an .odt file on the network, right clicked and tried to open with LO. The LO splash screen appeared then...nothing. LO didn't launch and the file didn't open. I copied the file to the desktop, did the same thing and it opened right up. I then tried to save the file to it's original location on the network but I couldn't even figure out how to connect to the share from LO...so I was unable to save it to the network share.

I've spent about 45 minutes googling this without any success in finding a solution here. Surely I'm not the only person using Q4OS that has experienced this am I? Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.

#2 2016-12-08 06:56

bin

Re: Open and save libreoffice files to network share

Chris, a couple of questions first, but you were expecting that smile
Network is a bit of a catch all term. Is this a simple NAS on a router type of thing or a full blown Windows domain or something in between?
The fact that you can browse to a share, but not open files or save to the share indicates samba issues or permissions /mount definitions on a linux network.

#3 2016-12-08 08:44

videomicloud

This is an office environment with about 8 computers communicating through a Windows Workgroup. There is no domain. All workstations route into a 24 port managed GB switch. All have GB ethernet and we have very relaxed security since there are only 4 employees here at any one time. So I typically setup machines to where any employee can read/write most folders and files (except system files of course).

And yes I'm sure it's probably a samba issue as I'm a bit of a novice with it. I'm an experienced Linux web admin but primarily through command line, Webmin, Plesk, CPanel etc. So the only experience I have with Linux desktop and Samba are from messing around with Puppy Linux at home quite a bit.

Chris Blair

#4 2016-12-08 08:56

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

The issue, most probably, comes from libreoffice, as it's not able to browse samba network shares, your samba setup could be right. You only need to install some additional packages, so please run following commands in terminal:
$ sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports install libreoffice-gnome
$ sudo apt-get install gvfs-backends
Now, you should be able to open and save files from samba shares.

In addition, you could configure libreoffice to use gtk3 open/save dialogs for more convenient browsing of samba shares:
LibreOffice menu -> Tools -> Options -> General -> uncheck 'Use LibreOffice dialogs'

EDIT: This post has been edited and instructions fixed 2016/12/09

#5 2016-12-09 15:07

rafaelramos

I'm trying to follow these guidelines, but the following command is not working in version 1.8.1.1 for Raspberry Pi:

Displays this error:

E: The 'jessie-backports' value is invalid for APT :: Default-Release because such a release is not available in the sources

Last edited by rafaelramos (2016-12-09 15:08)

#6 2016-12-11 10:24

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

rafaelramos wrote:

I'm trying to follow these guidelines, but the following command is not working in version 1.8.1.1 for Raspberry Pi:

Displays this error:

E: The 'jessie-backports' value is invalid for APT :: Default-Release because such a release is not available in the sources

Yes, Q4OS for Raspberry Pi is based on Raspbian, and there is no Backports repository in Raspbian. You should install the 'libreoffice-gnome' package this way:
$ sudo apt-get install libreoffice-gnome

#7 2016-12-12 19:35

rafaelramos

Done! Now is working...

Opening the libreoffice files from network share on RPi3! smile

Thanks!

Last edited by rafaelramos (2016-12-12 19:35)

#8 2016-12-12 23:05

rafaelramos

I noticed that when I display files via SAMBA, the file manager does not display the file size, it only shows "1B" for all...

Is there any trick to avoid this?

x6bkl.jpg

Board footer