You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-28 23:33

videomicloud

Change default file manager to Nautilus

I prefer nautilus as my file manager and have spent a good bit of time googling trying to see how to make it the default file manager in Q4OS. But really haven't found a solution. I know how to setup Nautilus on the desktop but apps and other links still default to konquerer. Any tips or suggestions on links to enable this?

The main reason I prefer it is the ability to remember network credentials. I can't seem to get the default file manager to remember them (no option in the GUI it seems). Thanks.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc

#2 2016-11-29 01:26

JimW

Re: Change default file manager to Nautilus

I could be mistaken, and maybe you have already tried this, but if you right click on a folder and select "other", you should be able to select nautilus and by checking the "set as default" box (can't remember the exact term) I think it will then open using your selection in the future. I know it works for files, and assume it would work on folders.

#3 2016-11-29 09:10

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

videomicloud wrote:

... but apps and other links still default to konquerer.

Please, would you post some more detailed example ? Which application and how exactly does it default to konqueror ? We could try to find some solution for you.

videomicloud wrote:

The main reason I prefer it is the ability to remember network credentials. I can't seem to get the default file manager to remember them ...

Which application do you need to remember network credentials for ? How do you invoke it ? Post some specific example for us to be able to check it out.

#4 2016-11-29 17:36

videomicloud

I was able to right-click and change the default file manager to nautilus for browsing files and the network. And if I place a folder or share on the desktop it's now using nautilus. Most of my experience with Linux is through web administration using Ubuntu and Debian, so I'm actually more well-versed in command line stuff on Linux. So all the help here is much appreciated!

To answer the second poster's question, if I'm in an application and I load a file, I'd like to be able to browse the network from the apps file manager (like I'm able to do in Windows). But seems each application (VLC and Audacity are examples) requires a plugin or some sort of setup rather than being able to find the network natively. I haven't been able to figure out how to load a network file from the "file open" dialog of audacity and found a plug-in for VLC. I can drag and drop a file into VLC from the network but not with Audacity. Same with Shotwell. Not a complaint at all, just not sure how to enable it for the apps we use most.

On the network credentials, this computer is used in our conference room so we would typically load a PDF or a video/audio file or an image file for a client that sits on our server. What happens now is we go to the server on the network and konquerer was asking for the username and password every time, without an option to "remember" the share. Nautilus offers options to "remember for this session; remember forever; or forget immediately." So I've got things setup mostly how I want (or rather so our employees don't revolt smile)...but curious about being able to access network files from applications "file open" dialogs.

I'll be donating to the development this week. Very nice distribution!

#5 2016-11-29 20:59

ichbin1199

Hi!

why not try dolphin for Trinity, maybe it got the features you're looking for, and it is better integrated as it is a Trinity app.

Samsung Q1 Ultra Premium umpc, (1.33ghz Intel core solo, 2gb ram)/Q4OS Scorpion/Trinity+Compaq  CQ2301 (1.6ghzx2 Intel Atom 230, 1gb ram, used as a server)/Q4OS Orion/Trinity+Packard bell D2317 (2.2ghzx2 Intel Pentium, 2gb ram)/Q4OS Scorpion/Trinity

#6 2016-11-29 21:01

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Yes, we would recommend you to use 'dolphin-trinity' file manager as suggested by ichbin1199, thanks ichbin1199. You need to install it first:
$ sudo apt-get install dolphin-trinity

Nautilus is a gtk3 application, dolphin-trinity is native, well integrated and highly customizable.

#7 2016-11-29 21:22

tlmiller76

I would suggest installing with the --no-install-recommends flag.  I did not, and it pulled in many programs I didn't want/need (k3b-trinity, kmail, amarok-trinity), although removing them didn't remove dolphin-trinity, so I assume they're marked as recommends not depends.  Just my $.02 for dolphin-trinity.  And I do agree that it's probably the best solution to the OP's desires.

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#8 2016-11-29 21:34

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

tlmiller76 wrote:

I would suggest installing with the --no-install-recommends flag.

Well, so the installation command will look like this:
$ sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install dolphin-trinity

EDIT:
In addition you may need to install 'tdewalletmanager-trinity' package to keep entered passwords.
$ sudo apt-get install tdewalletmanager-trinity

#9 2016-11-29 23:02

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

After some testing we can confirm bug in konqueror - it ignores tdewalletmanager and doesn't store password in. The workaround we could suggest you, is to manually create command-line link to a windows shared folder with this form:
'kfmclient openURL smb://username:password@server/shared-folder'
It will directly open shared folder in konqueror, so you can create a shortcut in Desktop, Start menu or in some folder.

#10 2016-11-29 23:15

videomicloud

Thanks for all the tips! Will try Dolphin as suggested too.

Chris Blair

Board footer