You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-27 21:30

videomicloud

Store Media Question

New to Q4OS but fairly experienced with Ubuntu. Not as much with Debian derivitives except from command line on web servers. Question is about storage devices and how they are structured. I have a new install of Q4OS on a repurposed HP XW6200. The hard drive is 160GB and the default install setup the system OS on a 30GB partition and created a second storage drive of 120GB. I'm unable to write to the larger storage drive and I assume that's by default. My question is how is the larger partition used in the setup? Is it mounted as a virtual drive from the 30GB system partition? I searched for quite a while on Google but couldn't really find an explanation of how it's setup and structured. I've used Puppy Linux extensively at home but am setting this system up for my office and wanted a system that other employees would be comfortable using coming from Windows. But they're asking about the file system and how it works and I want to be able to explain it to them and tell them where to store files in a way that makes sense compared to Windows.

Thanks
Chris Blair

#2 2016-11-27 22:11

Rademes

Re: Store Media Question

videomicloud wrote:

I'm unable to write to the larger storage drive and I assume that's by default.

You probably have partitioned your hard disk incorrectly.
Here is a tutorial, which explains how to partition your hard disk correctly using the most popular Linux partitioning software - GParted, which is included in Q4OS Live CD.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html
It is important to understand Linux partitioning dictionary. It is different than in Windows!

Speaking about file system - use ext4 for all your Linux partitions except SWAP partition. ext4 for now is the best file system. For removable drives, which should be accessible on Linux and Windows use NTFS (or FAT32 for small USB flash drives). Do NOT use NTFS or FAT32 for Linux partitions!

Another tutorial you can use is a Linux guide for Windows users.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ulti … users.html

And in case, you need to use Linux file systems on Windows, there is another guide. But, I do not recommend to do it as it can damage Linux file system.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linu … ndows.html
Good Luck!

Last edited by Rademes (2016-11-27 22:28)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#3 2016-11-27 22:59

videomicloud

Thanks for the tips. I just used all the defaults when installing, so figured it would partition things the way that most users prefer. Will go through the links to correct. And I used ext4 for the file system and we use several linux based storage servers in our office (which I administer) so familiar with samba file sharing and setup (mostly on Ubuntu though).

Thanks again
Chris Blair

#4 2016-11-28 08:49

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

videomicloud wrote:

... I just used all the defaults when installing ...

Which media did you proceed Q4OS installation from ? 'Live-CD' or 'Install CD' ? If from Install CD, which type did you select, regular or quick install option ?

The partitioning guide looks for the biggest free space to install Q4OS on, so it might choose the 30GB to install Q4OS on. We would recommend you to select and perform repartition of your drive to utilize entire disk space.

#5 2016-11-28 17:25

videomicloud

I installed from a bootable live USB drive. I was able to resize the partition using gparted. So all sorted out. I just didn't pay attention to it during the install and agreed to all the defaults. So working great so far on two different re-purposed systems.

Chris Blair

Board footer