You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-12 07:49

bin

Thunderbird / Icedove and unattended-upgrades

I may be in a minority here, but I just let unattended-upgrades deal with updates. I've been doing it for over a year and it works fine. I take this approach as my wife has an identical setup and it means I don't have to worry about whether there are outstanding updates behind an update reminder app.

I noticed in the log yesterday that icedove needs a manual response to a config file change request. It's one of those that I always answer No to as I want to keep the existing config. Had to update via apt-get upgrade. I know you can make changes that automatically respond 'y' when doing a manual upgrade - however I do recall a grub update a while back that asks a couple of questions that would cause problems if not handled correctly.

So, if you're like me and don't have an update reminder app running you need to check /var/log/unattended-upgrades just to make sure all is OK.

Please move if not in correct forum section.

#2 2016-10-12 07:59

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Thunderbird / Icedove and unattended-upgrades

We can confirm, manual update && upgrade should be done time to time, if you don't use update notifier. You can safely perform that from Synaptic package manager or from command line:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

#3 2016-10-12 08:38

Dai_trying

There is an option to mail you on "problems or package upgrades" this can be found in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades this could help as you will be told when you need to manually do something.

#4 2016-10-12 09:02

bin

There is indeed Dai, but sadly this option requires you to have a working mail transport system of some sort installed - tried it out but too much pain - have shortcut 'mc /var/log/unattended-upgrades' - much less effort smile

#5 2016-10-12 09:08

Dai_trying

You could just use local mail via postfix, when configuring just use the local only option when installing and then you can read your mail using any mail reader. This will give you mail at the computer you are using. But obviously if your current solution works for you then happy days. smile

Board footer