You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-09 21:50

Werner Holtfreter

Trinity on Debian versus Q4OS

Hello,

following a friend's recommendation, I made a test installation of Q4OS. The first impression is very good: Fast TDE and no obvious bugs. Right Nvida graphic driver offered for installation. Look and feel is great for working, no wallpaper and no logo is the best background.

But it is also possible to install TDE on Debian. Please, what are the advantages and the disadvantages of the Q4OS? What about the speed of security bugfixes for excample? What are the benefits of Q4OS beyond TDE?

Werner

#2 2016-10-10 06:35

bin

Re: Trinity on Debian versus Q4OS

OK, this is one of those interesting questions that crosses my mind every so often. I have done TDE Debian and Ubuntu based based systems and it works fine. In some cases it works better than Q4OS, in others it doesn't.

I suppose the best way to describe the difference is that a standard TDE installation is assembled, whereas Q4OS is crafted.

Security issues are handled by Debian and come through the normal streams so it's all about the extras. Here the pluses and minuses are different for different people so only you can judge what works well for you. I liked KDE 3.x and was sad to see it go. Loss of Gnome 2 was equally dull but I used XFCE for many years quite happily

The Q4OS team have taken a bold step in adopting Trinity Desktop and adding value in terms of configurations, extra installers, tweaks and twiddles that just make the while thing a more polished experience. It is challenging as I, like many, use KDE to run mostly GTK applications - and that has its own exciting moments.

The difference is really the Q4OS development team. As you'll see looking through the forum they are very present and involved in day to day issues as well as the development side. Moreover we also have some very skilled contributors to the small but active community and it is those factors that makes Q4OS better than going solo. (IMVHO)

#3 2016-10-10 08:50

Werner Holtfreter

bin wrote:

Security issues are handled by Debian and come through the normal streams so it's all about the extras.

What do you mean? Come the security fixes direct from Debian to my PC or has to handle the Q4OS team this?

bin wrote:

I liked KDE 3.x and was sad to see it go.

Mostly, I use the desktop only for starting the programs and can live with other desktops also - if they work properly. But I want to use KMail, KNode and KArm (KTimeTracker) which are the best programs for me. My preferred programs do not work properly in Kubuntu14.04. To say only on issue: The column width is not saved in KMail.

If I understand right, one reason for renew KDE to KDE4 was concentration of some services to one place to make it easier for developer to write applications and to prevent double work. Why not, good idea. I think KDE4 is the future. But after the lot of years, the new age programs are broken. And I am tired to wait.

Werner

#4 2016-10-10 09:51

bin

bin wrote:

Security issues are handled by Debian and come through the normal streams so it's all about the extras.

Werner Holtfreter wrote:

What do you mean? Come the security fixes direct from Debian to my PC or has to handle the Q4OS team this?

System security updates - i.e. those relating to the operating system Debian Jessie (8.x) will come from Debian Security repository along with other operating system updates.

The Q4OS team will be looking at bugs within Trinity but remember that Trinity Desktop comes from the TDE Project so some bugs are inherited. No doubt they will elaborate if this is incorrect.

#5 2016-10-10 10:50

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@bin
Thanks for the nice explanation.

Werner Holtfreter wrote:

But it is also possible to install TDE on Debian. Please, what are the advantages and the disadvantages of the Q4OS?

Q4OS adds a few goodies to the standard TDE desktop, for example application installers, software profiles, desktop theme look, etc...

Board footer