You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-23 14:25

ggc

Moving panel to the left problems

Hello everyone,

i was trying to put the lower panel to the left side, but unfortunatly this lead to some error and i can't see anymore the menu (maybe a bug? I have tried again and it still leads to unusable menus)

After that i have found out (i write here, maybe it could be useful for someone else) that the panel config file is in ~/.trinity/share/config/kickerrc , that writing Position=3 it restores the position in the lower part of the screen and that the default config in ~root/.trinity/share/config/kickerrc .

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by ggc (2016-06-23 19:25)

#2 2016-06-23 15:20

Dai_trying

Re: Moving panel to the left problems

I had to do it! I tried as you did and suffered the same fate, resulting in unusable system until I rebooted into another installation to correct the file ~/.trinity/share/config/kickerrc.
I think you missed a directory in your post, but thanks for the heads-up in resolving it. smile

Last edited by Dai_trying (2016-06-23 15:21)

#3 2016-06-23 16:23

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We can confirm, it is known Trinity bug. Reboot is not needed, it's possible to revert panel position this way:
Right mouse button click to 'My Computer' icon on the desktop -> Control Panel -> Desktop -> Panels -> Set position of the panel

or:
Right mouse button click on the panel -> Configure panel -> Arrangement ->  Set position of the panel

Edit: Placing panel to the top edge will work correctly.

#4 2016-06-23 16:57

Dai_trying

I would have done something like that, but I had one processor maxed out at 100% and right click didn't do anything, in fact I tried alt-f2 and every combination of ctrl alt [0-9] tab etc and couldn't get anything to happen. I ended up having to force power off by holding power button for 6 seconds. I also tried going back into system after reboot but system was locked after desktop initialised (and looked ok except bar was white not blue) but system was still unresponsive. Rebooted and used alternative installation to correct kickerrc file and all is well.
Just as a side note, but wouldn't it be better to disable this funcionality until known bug has been rectified? although I'm guessing it is probably easier said than done. smile

#5 2016-06-23 17:14

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Dai_trying wrote:

... used alternative installation to correct kickerrc file ...

Maybe more easy way could be to switch and login to the console, ctrl+alt+f1 key combination, and edit kickerrc:
$ nano ~/.trinity/share/config/kickerrc

Dai_trying wrote:

... wouldn't it be better to disable this funcionality until known bug has been rectified? ...

It would be better, but the task is not so simple, unfortunately. Yes, we would need more time for development, definitely smile

#6 2016-06-23 17:28

Dai_trying

Dai_trying wrote:

in fact I tried alt-f2 and every combination of ctrl alt [0-9] tab etc and couldn't get anything to happen.

I did try smile

#7 2016-06-23 19:27

ggc

Path fixed.

Thank you day_trying too. To switch to a console the shortcut is ctrl-alt-f1, ctrl-alt-f2 and so on (not only alt, not ctrl-alt number but function keys F1-F6 normally), in fact i fixed the problem this way.

Thank you q4osteam for the confirm and the other possible fixes.

Last edited by ggc (2016-06-23 19:27)

#8 2016-06-23 20:59

Dai_trying

Yes sorry about that, maybe I just used the number keys instead of F-keys, I would say a schoolboy error but I'm too long in the tooth for that smile

#9 2016-08-12 08:28

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

ggc wrote:

i was trying to put the lower panel to the left side, but unfortunatly this lead to some error

We have worked out the cause of this bug, and found a simple workaround. The error is caused by clock in the system tray. You will need to disable to show clock in the system tray and add it as an applet. Then you will be able to move the panel to any screen edge with no issue.

Procedure to remove clock from system tray and adding it as an applet:
Configure system tray -> uncheck 'Show Clock in tray' checkbox. Then, you can add the clock to the panel as an applet, Right mouse click on the panel -> Unlock panels -> Right mouse click on the panel -> Add applet to panel -> select Clock -> add applet to panel. Configure the clock appearance with right mouse click on the clock.

The bug will be fixed in one of the next Q4OS Orion releases.

#10 2016-08-12 09:27

Dai_trying

Nice work figuring that out guys smile I personally don't use the clock so I just removed it and it worked great.
Thanks. smile

Board footer