Installing imagemagick says I have software to be removed

I wanted to install imagemagick and from the commandline typed

sudo apt-get install imagemagick

And was surprised to see all this

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  binutils-dev checkinstall cmake cmake-data comerr-dev cvs esound-common gettext-kde krb5-multidev libacl1-dev libapr1 libaprutil1
  libart-2.0-dev libarts1-trinity-dev libartsc0-trinity-dev libasound2-dev libaspell-dev libattr1-dev libaudio-dev libaudiofile-dev
  libavahi-client-dev libavahi-common-dev libbotan-1.10-0 libbz2-dev libcups2-dev libcvsservice0-trinity libdbus-1-tqt-dev libesd0
  libesd0-dev libgpgme11 libgssrpc4 libidn11-dev libilmbase-dev libjasper-dev libjbig-dev libjpeg-dev libjpeg62-turbo-dev libkadm5clnt-mit9
  libkadm5srv-mit9 libkdb5-7 libkrb5-dev liblcms2-dev liblua50 liblua50-dev liblualib50 liblualib50-dev liblzma-dev libmad0-dev libmng-dev
  libogg-dev libopenexr-dev libpciaccess-dev libqt4-assistant libqt4-webkit libqt5concurrent5 libqt5declarative5 libqt5designercomponents5
  libqt5opengl5 libqt5qml5 libqt5quick5 libqt5script5 libqt5webkit5 libqt5x11extras5 libr-dev libsasl2-dev libserf-1-1 libssl-dev libssl-doc
  libsvn1 libtiff5-dev libtiffxx5 libtqt3-compat-headers libtqt3-headers libtqt3-mt-dev libtqtinterface-dev libudev-dev libvorbis-dev
  libxkbfile-dev libxml2-dev libxmu-dev libxmu-headers libxslt1-dev libxt-dev lua50 mc mc-data qml-module-qtquick-controls
  qml-module-qtquick-layouts qml-module-qtquick-window2 qml-module-qtquick2 qt4-demos qtcreator qtcreator-data qtcreator-doc reprepro
  tdecachegrind-trinity tdelibs14-trinity-dev tdevelop-data-trinity tdevelop-trinity tdevelop-trinity-doc tqt3-apps-dev tqt3-assistant
  tqt3-designer tqt3-dev-tools tqt3-doc tqt3-linguist tqt3-qtconfig uuid-dev valgrind valgrind-dbg x11proto-dri3-dev x11proto-fonts-dev
  x11proto-present-dev x11proto-resource-dev x11proto-scrnsaver-dev x11proto-video-dev x11proto-xf86bigfont-dev x11proto-xf86dri-dev
  xfonts-terminus xserver-xorg-dev
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
  imagemagick-6.q16 imagemagick-common liblqr-1-0 libmagickcore-6.q16-2 libmagickcore-6.q16-2-extra libmagickwand-6.q16-2 libnetpbm10 netpbm
Suggested packages:
  imagemagick-doc autotrace cups-bsd lpr lprng grads hp2xx html2ps libwmf-bin mplayer povray radiance texlive-base-bin transfig ufraw-batch
  inkscape
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat q4os-devpack
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  imagemagick imagemagick-6.q16 imagemagick-common liblqr-1-0 libmagickcore-6.q16-2 libmagickcore-6.q16-2-extra libmagickwand-6.q16-2
  libnetpbm10 netpbm
0 upgraded, 9 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4,168 kB of archives.
After this operation, 12.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 

I answered no at this point as I want to continue to use some of these packages marked for removal but I did notice that the packages that would be removed were graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat and q4os-devpack, so would I be right in guessing that the standard imagamagick from the repo would remove the devpack and q4 imagamagick stuff?
My guess would be that I don't need to install imagemagick separately as I should have the package components via graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat. Is that right?

#2 2016-05-04 10:57

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Installing imagemagick says I have software to be removed

There is a conflict between older version of 'q4os-devpack' and 'imagemagick' . If you want to install packages alongside, we would recommend to uninstall q4os-devpack, download and install the new version '2.2.2-a1' from Q4OS web and then install 'imagemagick' . This procedure should be ok, please let us know the result.

#3 2016-05-04 11:00

Dai_trying

Thanks for the quick reply, I will try it out and post back the results. smile

#4 2016-05-04 11:13

Dai_trying

Ok, I removed q4os-devpack but did not do autoremove on the other existing packages, then I installed the new q4os-devpack and then installed imagemagick and all went well. I do have a couple of packages listed as ready for autoremove though they are :-
graphicsmagick
libgraphicsmagick3
libqt4-assistant
libqt4-webkit
My guess would be it is ok to remove these as they are probably old packages, but will wait for confirmation before removing them.

#5 2016-05-04 11:15

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Dai_trying wrote:

My guess would be it is ok to remove these as they are probably old packages, but will wait for confirmation before removing them.

Yes, they are no dependencies more, you can safely autoremove them.

#6 2016-05-04 11:43

Dai_trying

Thank you, job done smile

Board footer