You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-06 05:43

CaptNoize
Website

Konqueror Browser

What is the status of the Konqueror Browser. I had recently asked on one of my posts which browser works well on Q4OS. Some recommendations where Midori,SlimJet,Pale Moon and Opera. My question is where is the development of the browser that comes with Q4OS,...Konqueror..? I have downloaded the files from synaptic package manager,and it still seems "sluggish". I would think that it should run the best with Q4OS. Can anyone comment on this...?What say you team Q4...?

#2 2016-02-06 06:05

bobby
Website

Re: Konqueror Browser

Konqueror does not play flash and I just last night downloaded and installed Palemoon. Palemoon (based on Firefox) as it plays flash with no add-ons is what I am now using.

No Longer Using Q4OS

#3 2016-02-06 19:20

Rademes

KDE team almost stopped to develop Konqueror browser a long time ago.
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62092

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#4 2016-02-06 20:18

CaptNoize
Website

Chrome won't download on my older computer,and I got a notice the other day that Chrome support will end for my 2004 computer in March. I'm assuming Chromium will be the same..? After looking at all the options and considering the feed back I've received, Opera seems to be a good choice,along with FireFox. I downloaded Ice Weasel,but it doesn't respond any faster than Fire Fox,..(go figure).. :- {  and crashes quicker..I just went back to FF.

#5 2016-02-07 01:35

DavidB
Website

I prefer SeaMonkey, myself.  It's very responsive, light on the resources, and works well on Q4OS.  It's also a "suite", that is, it comes with it's own e-mail client, address book, composer (if you like to make your own web pages), and IRC client (although IRC is kind of old-school).  Best of all, I have not had any problems viewing any web pages.  I can't say the same for some of the other non-firefox browsers listed here.

You can also run SeaMonkey right from the download file.  You don't have to install it.  Just download and extract the .tar file and run the seamonkey.sh script.

Last edited by DavidB (2016-02-07 01:41)

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#6 2016-02-07 01:44

DavidB
Website

Also, if you liked Opera, check out Vivladi.  It's a web browser developed by the original creators of Opera, who left after the major changes to the company/product, back in 2012.  I used it for a while, too.  It's good, but not as responsive as SeaMonkey.

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#7 2016-02-07 05:16

CaptNoize
Website

Thanks,DavidB...!  I will definitely look into it...!

#8 2016-02-07 06:01

DavidB
Website

I tried Midori, too.  It was fine, but I had two issues with it.  First, it constantly crashed on me when I activated the "confirm cookies" option - that is, to ask me if a particular web site's cookies should be accepted or not.  With websites that had multiple cookies, like a news site, it always hung up and eventually crashed.

Second, it never worked with one of my banks.  Every time I tried to log in to my account, the bank's website would warm me that I was using an older web browser and would not let me proceed.  Not Midori's fault, but still prevented me from doing some on-line banking.

I found Vivaldi a little slow, too, which is why I'm not using it anymore.  But, they were in alpha mode when I did try it.  So, hopefully, once they reach their first official release, it will show improvement.

#9 2016-02-07 06:57

bobby
Website

I've had problems with java buttons not working with Google Chrome while running the LiveCD.  Is this because of cache is handled different when there is no hard drive swapfile available ?

No Longer Using Q4OS

#10 2016-02-07 16:02

CaptNoize
Website

I agree with CC on the Seamonkey browser comment. After looking at it's options, I'm really not interested an entire 'suite'. I don't need email and all the other extra features. This particular machine is a 32 bit profile,and I'm trying to keep it minimal. I'm getting an update alert,since I dlded  Ice Weasel on it. It tries to dld duplicate files,but it's not doing it. I have to uncheck the update,and then click "quit". I will delete Ice Weasel today with Synaptic Package Manager. I will give Opera and Midori,a shot. I listen to steaming music most of the time. Since Live 365 closed it's doors last week, I've found by going directly to the stations URL, and using VLC Player, it works waaaaay better than FireFox..!
Keep in mind,,,I'm learning as I go....!

#11 2016-02-07 16:40

DavidB
Website

Understood, but don't let the "suite" thing about SeaMonkey fool you.  In this case, "suite" doesn't translate to "bloat".  The Linux distro, PuppyLinux, is known for being a small and fast OS.  Its default web browser is the SeaMonkey suite.

Just saying....

Best of luck on your quest for the ideal web browser! smile

#12 2016-02-07 18:54

DavidB
Website

Okay, I'll just shut up now.

#13 2016-03-24 21:49

CaptNoize
Website

I downloaded Midori today,since Chromium is now,not opening,(just getting the SSE2 pop up again) So,I deleted Chromium,and installed Midori. It crashed,each time I tried to open my ISP email Addy. I ended up deleting it,also.Firefox is my only browser. Would Slimjet be a good choice...? Any other suggestions..?

#14 2016-03-26 05:31

CaptNoize
Website

Thanks,CC,... I'll check them all out...!

Board footer