You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-16 00:00

Dai_trying

Q4os 2.0. Cannot install software

Hi all, I installed Q4os 2 as it seemed to run better on an old machine I am playing with, and I have run into a problem with installing software. When I try installing via apt-get I am given the error message :-

Invalid record in the preferences file /etc/apt/preferences.d/pin80-q4os, no Package header

Any ideas how to resolve this?

I am pretty new to this os but I have been using linux for some years now so should be able to follow any cli instructions.
TIA

Dai

#2 2015-12-16 01:15

Dai_trying

Re: Q4os 2.0. Cannot install software

Thanks crosscourt, I just installed minimal profile, and had an error on installing proprietary codecs which is what I think caused the problem in the first place. I have re-installed now, and it is definately running better in this hardware (dell Dimension 4600, intel P4) than 1.4.4 was. Having said that I am wondering whether I may have set something wrong with my original install of 1.4.4. I think I will install current again and see if it was an error on my part. Thanks for you reply though, I dare say I will become an expert in installation by the time I am happy with my setup smile

Dai

#3 2015-12-16 10:43

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

There will be new Q4OS 2.0.1 beta release in a few weeks, it should be a bit more stable.

We would recommend you to install the 'Basic' profile. It's very solid desktop base, eats less space from disk and keeps your computer very light, even though it brings all the necessary desktop libraries, codecs and packages. So you have option to install desktop applications by your choice.

'Desktop' profile adds end user applications like web browser, office suite and others. If the Basic profile will not suite your wishes, you will be able whenever install Desktop profile over.

#4 2015-12-16 13:09

Dai_trying

Thanks for replies guys, I ended up re-installing 1.4.4 and this time went for full desktop profile, And it is running as good as the beta version now. I have absolutely no idea what I did wrong on the previous install but all's well that ends well.
I will try the beta when it arrives and let you know how I get on. smile

Dai

Board footer