You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-22 01:39

MC

Debian going back to Firefox

From this weeks Distrowatch Weekly:

Years ago the Debian project renamed their Firefox package to Iceweasel. This change in brand was brought about due to a complex situation where Debian was patching the Firefox software and therefore running into conflict with Mozilla's trademark agreement. In short, Debian's copy of Firefox was different from Mozilla's version of Firefox and therefore Debian could no longer call their web browser Firefox. The Debian project named their patched version of Mozilla's web browser Iceweasel. Times change and it looks as though there may no longer be a conflict between Mozilla and the Debian project, meaning Debian may be able to call their copy of the Mozilla browser Firefox again. Sylvestre Ledru has suggested Debian resume using the name Firefox in order to avoid confusion and reduce the effort to maintain the web browser package. "Mozilla & Debian both acknowledge that the branding issue mentioned in bug 354622 is no longer relevant. The Firefox logo was released under a free copyright license which matches the DFSG. To simplify the maintenance of the current stable Debian release, the name Iceweasel will remain. Debian Stretch, the next release, will have Firefox as package name."

Q4OS running Xfce

#2 2016-02-22 03:25

bobby
Website

Re: Debian going back to Firefox

I won't use Firefox on Q4OS because of the Flash add-on.

cc, brought palemoon to my attention and I use this instead of Firefox and recommend to others I help with Q4OS to do the same.

Google is the "other" web browser I like but, they are doing away with their 32 bit support.

just my thoughts on Firefox & web browsers.

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#3 2016-02-22 03:58

bobby
Website

cc, I need flash to run Youtube Videos so I can't disable it in my browser. The Department of Justice is suing Adobe for mis-management of Flash Updates that have harmed consumers; seriously !

I know many people who have taken their computers in to have it fixed after updating their Flash from Adobe.. I stopped helping people with their Windows computers years ago. (except for close family).  I am not an expert on this topic of Flash or even java but, I have never had any problem with Google Chrome concerning FLash or Java.

No Longer Using Q4OS

#4 2016-02-22 04:00

MC

crosscourt wrote:

Do you have a source for this information?  It would be helpful to validate your post and allow others to read the original article.

Wow...really? You don't trust Jessie? The first line of my post says: From this weeks Distrowatch Weekly.

Sorry I bothered you and took the time and share the info.

Nuff said. No more.

Q4OS running Xfce

#5 2016-02-22 04:06

CaptNoize
Website

I use FireFox with no issues...I just click on the OK when the Adobe Flash prompt comes up. Ice weasel never worked right from the time I dlded it. Chromium replaced Chrome on my 2 machines.It seems to run fine,also,but I still use Firefox. I never got around to using or trying Opera,or Midori. I followed most of the advice all of you gave me. If it's working,,,don't mess with it.

#6 2016-02-22 07:31

bin

crosscourt wrote:

Do you have a source for this information?  It would be helpful to validate your post and allow others to read the original article.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20160222#news

#7 2016-02-22 19:32

bobby
Website

Article was good but, I still think Firefox Sucks smile

No Longer Using Q4OS

#8 2016-02-23 04:15

Theresa

bobby wrote:

Article was good but, I still think Firefox Sucks smile

I am curious bobby. I have been using Firefox for many years. What is it that you don't like about it? Just want to add to my meagre knowledge base.

Thank you

Last edited by Theresa (2016-02-23 04:16)

#9 2016-02-23 05:02

bobby
Website

@Theresa, It has to do with how Firefox has handled the Flash Add-on in the past. Other than that, Firefox is fine.

No Longer Using Q4OS

#10 2016-02-25 06:49

Seeker

crosscourt wrote:

You can disable Flash in Firefox so thats not an issue or set it to activate only with your ok.

Chromium or Slimjet are now good choices for 32bit users.

I use these Slimjet the most for download jobs.

#11 2016-03-14 17:42

Rademes

Hi Bobby!

I won't use Firefox on Q4OS because of the Flash add-on.

Saying that Firefox Sucks because of Flash add-on issues is the same as saying that Q4OS sucks because of Trinity bugs! Firefox is great browser! One of the best, and it is not spying and collecting personal information like Google Chrome. Also Firefox has a HUGE amount of useful extensions. One bad thing is that Firefox is a bit resource hungry browser. But it is very well supported and can display correctly almost all web pages. Unfortunately other browsers (except Google Chrome, Opera) are unable to display them all correctly because it is very difficult to keep up with a LOT of frequently changing web standards.

Last edited by Rademes (2016-03-14 20:14)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#12 2016-03-14 17:45

Rademes

BTW I haven`t had a problems with Firefox so far, it works very well on my home PC, and on two PC`s at my work. Maybe I am lucky?

Last edited by Rademes (2016-03-14 20:15)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

Board footer