You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-23 19:42

LinuxDan2015
Member
Registered: 2022-02-23
Posts: 16

Thank You Q4OS Team

I just wanted to say thinks for TDE! I have a little Dell laptop with an Intel Celeron CPU N3050 @ 1.6Ghz with 2GB of RAM and 32GB of eMMC memory for storage and a 128GB SDcard plugged in. Anyway, I like this little laptop for playing DOS games, browsing the web, reading, simple stuff. The battery lasts a long time and it's super lightweight. I have tried many distributions on it but bar far Q4OS's Trinity Desktop Environment is my favorite because 1) I can change the look and feel easily, 2) it's got a retro/true desktop vibe and 3) it has sounds for many events. I like sounds on my computers, what can I say. The early KDE was what I fell in love with years ago and while I appreciate what has been done with Plasma, it's not for me as it lacks as many sound effects (like for minimize, maximize, open, close, etc). But that's besides the point. For this fanless, low powered laptop, Q4OS TDE is perfect! Thanks guys! Runs great and faster than any other distribution I have tried on this laptop including LXDE, XFCE, BODHI, etc.
Thanks! Thanks!  Thanks!

Offline

#2 2022-02-23 23:29

Tolkem
Member
Registered: 2019-10-06
Posts: 487

Re: Thank You Q4OS Team

LinuxDan2015 wrote:

while I appreciate what has been done with Plasma, it's not for me as it lacks as many sound effects (like for minimize, maximize, open, close, etc).

Actually, you can get those sounds in Plasma too.

Offline

#3 2022-02-24 18:22

LinuxDan2015
Member
Registered: 2022-02-23
Posts: 16

Re: Thank You Q4OS Team

Hmm...I don't see an option under Plasma Workspace or KWin Window Manager for playing a sound upon window minimize/maximize/close etc. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Offline

#4 2022-02-24 23:51

Tolkem
Member
Registered: 2019-10-06
Posts: 487

Re: Thank You Q4OS Team

LinuxDan2015 wrote:

Hmm...I don't see an option under Plasma Workspace or KWin Window Manager for playing a sound upon window minimize/maximize/close etc. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

No, you're right. There's no option for that. I thought I'd seen it, but I checked and there isn't. Sorry, my bad. However, given the deep and high level of customization possibilities Plasma offers, there might be a way to get it done.

Offline

#5 2022-02-26 10:41

hchiper
Member
From: Belgium
Registered: 2020-07-28
Posts: 426

Re: Thank You Q4OS Team

Maybe (approximate translation from French; see screenshot):
- System configuration
- Notifications
- Workspace ?
- Configure events (button)


Attachments:
png Screenshot_20220226_103858.png, Size: 178.63 KiB, Downloads: 324

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

Offline

#6 2023-11-21 13:28

DricC
Member
Registered: 2023-11-20
Posts: 11

Re: Thank You Q4OS Team

@LinuxDan2015 I'm interested in the DOS games you have and how you installed them please? I have the same kind of retro computer as you have.

Offline

#7 2023-11-21 18:09

Midas
Member
Registered: 2017-12-15
Posts: 177

Re: Thank You Q4OS Team

Somewhat related, as it's game oriented and DOS based: DOS_deck... neutral

Experience classic games with modern convenience at DOS_deck. With full controller support and a carefully curated game collection, enjoy timeless classics and hidden gems, readily available for instant play in your web browser on devices you already own.

https://dosdeck.com/

Offline

#8 2023-11-22 17:10

DricC
Member
Registered: 2023-11-20
Posts: 11

Re: Thank You Q4OS Team

Midas wrote:

Somewhat related, as it's game oriented and DOS based: DOS_deck... neutral

Thank you so much for letting me discover this very new solution! Pretty cool.

Offline

#9 2023-11-27 20:49

LinuxDan2015
Member
Registered: 2022-02-23
Posts: 16

Re: Thank You Q4OS Team

For DOS games, I just installed DOSBox (or DOSBox-X) and installed the games inside that. I used "LaunchBox for MS-DOS Special Edition 2.0" to make a menu system that I use to quickly launch the DOS games. My favorite DOS games are:

1. Commander Keen
2. Biomenace
3. Cosmo
4. Duke Nukem
5. Jazz Jack Rabbit
6. Monster Bash
7. Raptor
8. Wolfenstein 3D

:-)

Offline

#10 2023-12-14 21:34

seb3773
Member
Registered: 2023-11-01
Posts: 126

Re: Thank You Q4OS Team

LinuxDan2015 wrote:

I just wanted to say thinks for TDE! I have a little Dell laptop with an Intel Celeron CPU N3050 @ 1.6Ghz with 2GB of RAM and 32GB of eMMC memory for storage and a 128GB SDcard plugged in. Anyway, I like this little laptop for playing DOS games, browsing the web, reading, simple stuff. The battery lasts a long time and it's super lightweight. I have tried many distributions on it but bar far Q4OS's Trinity Desktop Environment is my favorite because 1) I can change the look and feel easily, 2) it's got a retro/true desktop vibe and 3) it has sounds for many events. I like sounds on my computers, what can I say. The early KDE was what I fell in love with years ago and while I appreciate what has been done with Plasma, it's not for me as it lacks as many sound effects (like for minimize, maximize, open, close, etc). But that's besides the point. For this fanless, low powered laptop, Q4OS TDE is perfect! Thanks guys! Runs great and faster than any other distribution I have tried on this laptop including LXDE, XFCE, BODHI, etc.
Thanks! Thanks!  Thanks!

I've got an old laptop very similar to yours, with N3060 celeron and 32Gb storage soldered + 4Gb ram (an asus), and i LOVE Q4OS with trinity desktop for it. Incredibly more responsive than any other windows iteration (tried windows 10, even with a lot of tweaking it is nearly unusable, and windows 11 : no way tongue) and far more responsive than chrome os flex (which I tried too) smile

Last edited by seb3773 (2023-12-14 21:35)


My Q4OS scripts: win10/osx theming, perfs optimisation, laptop configuration, ...  for trinity users -->  https://github.com/seb3773/q4osXpack

Offline

#11 2023-12-15 13:46

Senas Komunistas
Member
From: Lithuania
Registered: 2016-04-17
Posts: 51

Re: Thank You Q4OS Team

LinuxDan2015 wrote:

For DOS games, I just installed DOSBox:-)

I also use dosbox. A great way to play good old games. Old Quake is the best!

Last edited by Senas Komunistas (2023-12-15 13:48)

Offline

#12 2024-01-04 09:01

NoMoreWindows
Member
Registered: 2024-01-03
Posts: 62

Re: Thank You Q4OS Team

DosBox is amazing. I had a client using it to run a 30 year old 16-bit dBase application on a modern computer. Stuff that makes me happy.

Offline

#13 2024-01-16 16:55

RedSnt
Member
Registered: 2024-01-16
Posts: 2

Re: Thank You Q4OS Team

Wanted to say thanks as well. Had an old EeePC from 2009 collecting dust and while I tried MX Linux and AntiX, Q4OS just feels tailored for this tiny 1 GB netbook. 
Only annoyance I've had, what with running a tiny 1024*600 resolution, has been the default scaling set to 1.25 being close to impossible to change without a lot of guessing using tabbing + space, but other than that this distro is just perfect for this use case.

Offline

#14 2024-01-16 17:04

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Registered: 2015-12-06
Posts: 4,343
Website

Re: Thank You Q4OS Team

RedSnt wrote:

... with running a tiny 1024*600 resolution, has been the default scaling set to 1.25 being close to impossible to change without a lot of guessing using tabbing + space ...

You may appreciate this tip https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3791

Offline

#15 2024-01-16 20:53

RedSnt
Member
Registered: 2024-01-16
Posts: 2

Re: Thank You Q4OS Team

q4osteam wrote:
RedSnt wrote:

... with running a tiny 1024*600 resolution, has been the default scaling set to 1.25 being close to impossible to change without a lot of guessing using tabbing + space ...

You may appreciate this tip [...link...]

Cheers! Very useful indeed.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB