You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-06 17:03

dodogames

Q4OS win installer question

I have been using Q4OS for a while (since the win installer) and it works great on my crappy laptop. However, i started to have an question in my mind which is how safe is this if something happened to Windows and one of the questions were if it's safe to boot into Q4OS if windows wasn't shutdown cleanly (e.gs Crashes, sudden shutdown, etc).

Doing some search, the installer seems to be a continued version of the original Wubi by Ubuntu and then when looking into Wikipedia, one of the limits was if windows has for example crashed then the user wouldn't be able to boot into the distro they chose.

Although this was years ago, so is it safe to boot into Q4OS if something happened to windows (like what i described below) or should i go with the regular dual boot method from an USB drive?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but i can be curious and paranoid at certain times.

#2 2023-11-06 17:14

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Q4OS win installer question

The Windows installer installs Q4OS in a loop file stored on a Windows drive. As long as this file is fine, Q4OS will work, even if Windows itself is corrupted and unbootable. The essential requirement for Q4OS to work is the proper NTFS filesystem integrity.

#3 2023-11-06 21:49

dodogames

Speaking of NTFS filesystem, do i have to avoid using disk stuff applications on linux to not corrupt it? I get it that Windows and Linux supports NTFS but if i'm wrong, both of them has their differences of implementation around NTFS, which could corrupt the other one (if ever happened).

Thanks for answering my previous question by the way! I Appreciate it!

#4 2023-11-06 22:03

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

dodogames wrote:

Speaking of NTFS filesystem, do i have to avoid using disk stuff applications on linux to not corrupt it?

We don't think Linux apps could corrupt NTFS filesystem.

Board footer