You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-16 11:19

aboutblank

Installation problem with Grub

I have a Windows 7 system and use the Windows bootloader in conjunction with EasyBCD to boot to the Linux partitions on my hard drive.

When installing Q4OS, I unchecked the option to install the Grub bootloader, to avoid having it overwrite the Master Boot Record.  I thought that I could install it to the Partition Boot Record, but was never offered that opportunity.  (Usually, I do that in 'expert mode', but in the case of the Q4OS installer, it warned me that if I proceeded in expert mode, I would have to do a number of things by hand including editing fstab, which, for me, is a nightmare!  So, I declined to use expert mode.)

Now, when I select the 'Q4OS' option on my (Windows) boot menu, I am taken to a grub prompt instead of booting into Q4OS.  (I presume EasyBCD is providing that prompt, and that Grub2 has not been installed on the Partition Boot Record.)

If my analysis is correct, I assume that I will have to reboot Q4OS from the live CD, and install Grub2 'by hand' onto the correct partition.

Can anyone provide me with the commands to do so?  (I searched for them, but am not certain if running 'grub-install' will install to the correct partition, or try to install to the CD, and fail.  Plus, there are a number of parameters for a few different commands that must be run ['grub-install', 'update-grub' or 'grub2-mkconfig' from Linux to generate a new copy of grub.cfg, as described on one site].)  I am not certain of the parameters [e.g., 'grub-install  --force  --recheck  /dev/sda2'  ?!].

My hard disk is partitioned as follows:

Primary Partition:  System Reserved (for Windows)
Primary Partition:  Drive C (Windows)
Logical Partition:   Drive D (Windows)
Logical Partition:   /         (Q4OS)
Logical Partition:   /Home (Q4OS)
Logical Partition:  Swap    (Q4OS)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

aboutblank
December 16, 2015

Last edited by aboutblank (2015-12-16 11:20)

#2 2015-12-16 12:52

aboutblank

Re: Installation problem with Grub

I think I see my error.  I elected not to install the Grub boot loader, thinking it would overwrite the MBR.  I see now, upon a re-install, that the dropdown box beneath the checkbox let's one select where to install the bootloader.  So, I selected the PBR, dev/sda6, and am in the process of reinstalling.  I expect this will work, if not, I'll come back and add to this post!

Thanks.

aboutblank
December 16, 2015

#3 2016-03-01 08:57

aboutblank

Re: Installation problem with Grub

Just for completeness, "It worked!" - my analysis, above, was correct!

aboutblank
March 1, 2016

Board footer