You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-22 16:16

psychlepath

noob questions

I have 3 questions:

1.  What are Q4OS's default su and sudo passwords?  Sorry to ask a question for which there's probably an answer somewhere on this site, but I can't find it.  Did I read somewhere that su is not enabled by default? If su is not enabled by default, will 'sudo su'  get me there? (I expect there's some other more long-winded way for enabling su if it's not enabled, but because of a problem with all Debian-based distros on my PC, I need to get su access in the live system as quickly as possible after booting it.)

2.  Does Q4OS load files to RAM before reading them?

3.  I found a guide linked from this site which said it was for installing to legacy bios systems and that a guide for UEFI was in progress, but I can't find one.  Is there one?   Probably not an issue for me if there isn't (I might be tempting providence saying that), but if there is one I'd like to have a look before installing.

Thanks for any info anyone can give me.

#2 2023-06-23 12:26

hchiper

Re: noob questions

1. Normally, you user name is in the sudoers group; to check, look whether your user name is listed in the output of

$ groups

In this case, the password requested for sudo or su is your own password.

2. ?

3. ?

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

#3 2023-06-24 12:37

psychlepath

hchiper wrote:

1. Normally, you user name is in the sudoers group; to check, look whether your user name is listed in the output of

$ groups

In this case, the password requested for sudo or su is your own password.

2. ?

3. ?

Thank you for your reply, and for the information.

#4 2023-06-26 09:24

Sentinel

1. The first user you create in your system is automatically given the right to use sudo command. And when you do so, you must provide that first user's password (not root's password). As for su, it was enabled by default for me. When you type just su without arguments, you are trying to switch to root user and then you need to provide root's password. As for the root user himself, the manual https://www.q4os.org/dqa007.html states:

17.7. Root password

Root superuser password is disabled by default in Q4OS. Use "sudo" to issue commands as root. You can also manually enable and change the root password to be able to use root account directly:

$ sudo passwd

Type man passwd in case of questions.
2. I'm not sure about this one, but as far as I understand the OS just reads the files' content from disk and storing them in memory if it's needed is the application's responsibility.
3. There's no such a guide. The only one in the documentation section on https://www.q4os.org which mentions installation briefly is https://www.q4os.org/dqa007.html, but even this is not getting into specifics for BIOS or UEFI.

In order to have less noob questions I highly recommend to read the book How linux works by Brian Ward. It dives deep into system's design and when you read it many noob questions will be answered in advance.

#5 2023-07-02 18:15

psychlepath

Sentinel wrote:

1. The first user you create in your system is automatically given the right to use sudo command. And when you do so, you must provide that first user's password (not root's password). As for su, it was enabled by default for me. When you type just su without arguments, you are trying to switch to root user and then you need to provide root's password. As for the root user himself, the manual ... states:

17.7. Root password

Root superuser password is disabled by default in Q4OS. Use "sudo" to issue commands as root. You can also manually enable and change the root password to be able to use root account directly:

$ sudo passwd

Type man passwd in case of questions.
2. I'm not sure about this one, but as far as I understand the OS just reads the files' content from disk and storing them in memory if it's needed is the application's responsibility.
3. There's no such a guide. The only one in the documentation section on ... which mentions installation briefly is ..., but even this is not getting into specifics for BIOS or UEFI.

In order to have less noob questions I highly recommend to read the book How linux works by Brian Ward. It dives deep into system's design and when you read it many noob questions will be answered in advance.

Thank you for your reply, and for the information and links.

Board footer