You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-24 19:38

Sentinel

How desktop profiler works

Hello!
I usually install apps via synaptic or apt directly, which I set up to download packages through Tor. Now I want to use your desktop profiler to install another desktop environment and I also want it to be downloaded through Tor. Hence the question - does this profiler work through apt too or is it separate from apt and downloads by itself? Related question - does it download from debian repository or from your own? And if it's your own, does it provide a tor service like debian does?

#2 2023-06-26 08:50

Sentinel

Re: How desktop profiler works

Anyone out there? I could use a hand.

#3 2023-06-26 11:35

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Sentinel wrote:

.. does this profiler work through apt too or is it separate from apt and downloads by itself?

Yes it works exclusively with APT package manager, Desktop profiler installs packages just the APT way.

Sentinel wrote:

.. does it download from debian repository or from your own? And if it's your own, does it provide a tor service like debian does?

Yes, Desktop profiler downloads all packages from the system repositories as you can find them in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list

Please read also https://www.q4os.org/dqa016.html

#4 2023-06-26 13:29

Sentinel

I've read that manual before writing and there's no answer there.
I see that it uses apt, but you haven't answered the second question. Now my apt downloads through Tor because I have apt-transport-tor package installed and only .onion addresses (provided by Debian for their repositories) left in those sources files. If this profiler downloads something from your own repository (not Debian's), then it must also provide an .onion address, otherwise the packages will be downloaded the usual way without tor. Do you have .onion addresses for your repositories?

#5 2023-06-26 22:54

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Desktop profiler uses APT commands in the same way as if they were run from command line.

Sentinel wrote:

Do you have .onion addresses for your repositories?

No, we haven't.

#6 2023-06-27 16:03

Sentinel

I see. I've tried installing another desktop and it worked successfully, cause it downloaded everything from Debian repos and didn't attempt to connect to yours. But I have to say that double desktop compatibility isn't working as well as you advertised - when I try to block screen or switch user, it doesn't work. The screen flashes, but then the desktop appears again. Before that I had only KDE and now I installed XFCE in addition to that.

#7 2023-06-28 08:49

Sentinel

So how do I eliminate this problem?

#8 2023-06-28 10:38

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Thanks for reporting. We will investigate a post back a bit later.

#9 2023-06-29 07:53

Sentinel

Now there is more. I turned on the computer and the system just forgot my screen settings - which of the two monitors was the primary one and what were the wallpapers for both. The thing I did before this run that I haven't done before is I loaded into Windows. I don't know how these things can be related, but that's what was different this time.
Also I watched a video on The linux cast channel on youtube where the author was testing Q4OS and switching appearance settings with trinity desktop and a simple switch of exterior broke the desktop - he was thrown into console and had to type startx in order to return to GUI. The video was called WTF is Q4OS?
So there are many bugs with desktops here.

Board footer