You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-17 22:16

daver

Trinity search not working for me

Hi. I'm a noob and feel like an idiot asking this question. How can I tell if KFind is actually indexing my drive in TDE? I've tried both the Find function and the search box in the classic menu and neither returns search results. Krusader works to find files but won't launch them. Did I miss something? What am I doing wrong? I have TDE running on an ancient first-gen Chromebook with just 2GB of RAM soldered on the board. So far, TDE has been running well, quick and miserly with my limited resources. I considered adding Ulauncher for search but it chews up nearly another 100MB of RAM. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2023-05-18 01:08

bin

Re: Trinity search not working for me

Maybe worth just trying something simple to start with. Do you have some jpg files in your Pictures folder?
If you start Find Files and Folders from the menu then it should default to your home/ *.jpg in the search box should return something!
Obviously include sub-folders and case insensitive.
I find it works quickly. Are the files you are looking for on the Chromebook 'drive' or elsewhere such as a USB drive?

#3 2023-05-18 01:15

daver

Tried that with some pdfs in my documents folder. It showed no results even with proper names for the files. I discovered on the first tab that  the Use files index button was grayed out and unclickable. I'm wondering if I should remove and reinstall the kfind package.

#4 2023-05-18 04:48

daver

Search is working, sort of. I didn't realize I needed to add an asterisk * to the query. It works in the popup box and my file manager but the search box in the menu either doesn't work or uses a different methodology that isn't intuitive either.

#5 2023-05-18 08:17

bin

If you are using the default Kicker style menu then the Search box at the top seems to be an Internet search box - that doesn't seem to do much. I use the Classic menu which loads a browser if the Search menu item is used.

#6 2023-05-18 16:07

daver

I'm using the classic menu as well. I have yet to figure out what that search box does so I just unchecked it in options. The search is neither pretty nor intuitive, but it does work.

#7 2023-05-19 07:09

bin

There are 3 different Search menu items in the Classic Menu.
1. Default Find>Files and Folders + Find>Internet + Find>Start Menu
2. Add Find in Configure Kicker>Menus>Optional Menus>add Find>Find Files + Web Search
3. In Configure Kicker> Bottom right check TDE Menu Search

If it's something that needs looking into it's a good idea to describe exact steps to the particular tool you're using.

#8 2023-05-20 13:47

daver

I added a fourth and a fifth. I use Dolphin as a file manager and added it's search files button which kicks open the native search. I also added a link to kfind.desktop to my taskbar so I can pop it open with one click. It's not the most intuitive search tool, like I've said. Reminds me of Unix. But the Help file helped me figure it out. Thanks for your assistance as well.

#9 2023-05-20 14:30

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We would agree, search feature in Trinity desktop is not quite intuitive nor usable. It could be a matter of bug report or feature request for Trinity developers https://www.trinitydesktop.org/

Board footer