You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-16 02:28

NighthawkRMX

How to install 7zip onto Q4OS Trinity 32 bit

Hello. Just as a preface I am not well versed with Linux and this is my first experience with Q4OS specifically.

Background:
I am doing a project in which I am benchmarking various platforms from across the 2000s using 7zip compression/decompression benchmark. I have been running Mint 19.3 XFCE 32 bit to benchmark all of the other systems but want to benchmark a system with an Athlon XP 3200+ for comparative purposes. Mint is unable to boot on this hardware, I believe because K7 is lacking support for SSE2 or some related instruction. I have gone through some attempt and failure with other distros which has led me to where I am at currently.
The problem:
I have installed Q4OS Gemini Trinity 32 bit and am writing from this machine. The installation does not seem to include 7zip preinstalled which is fine, however I am having issues when I try to install it. I have looked at another post from this forum which seems to say 7z should be preinstalled but I am not seeing this I have not had much success attempting to install it. When I try sudo apt install p7zip I get the error that the package has no installation candidate. I have tried a few different abbreviations for 7zip but cannot get anything to install. I assume I am overlooking something very simple, but need some guidance. Thanks!

#2 2023-01-16 08:31

hchiper

Re: How to install 7zip onto Q4OS Trinity 32 bit

The original 7-Zip is indeed available for Windows only. Its port to Linux is p7zip. I had no problem to install it on my x64 machine and it is available for i386 as well.
Did you try first to update the database of available packages?

$ sudo apt update

The base package to install is p7zip. Other packages (p7zip-full and p7zip-rar) add more archive formats. Note that it is a command-line only application, no GUI is included.
Alternatively you can consider installing wine, which enables to execute Windows applications, to be able to install and run the original 7-Zip with its GUI.

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

#3 2023-01-16 11:48

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Thanks @hchiper for the explanation.

Just run terminal commands:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install p7zip p7zip-full p7zip-rar

#4 2023-01-16 12:43

FlexQ4

q4osteam wrote:

Thanks @hchiper for the explanation.
Just run terminal commands:
$ sudo apt update

It's all explaind here: https://7ziphelp.com/7zip-for-linux (first search result form qwant)
You may also try to install (extract) the offered tar-gz files in your home folder...

#5 2023-09-01 16:48

naranja

Sorry. I'm new here and I took mistake about to place my problem about to use p7zip.

Ok. On terminal I saw I just have the p7zip and write before these commands:
$ sudo apt update

I just downloaded a font file .zip and I can not open it. I saw they are enable with Konquero file admin (I don't know if that way is the better way to enable them).

I installed Q4os a few days ago, but I still can't use p7zip.

Help me please.
Thanks in advance.

#6 2023-09-02 06:54

hchiper

If, as I suppose, you are new to linux, I encourage you to make your first steps with the "Command line interface" (CLI), i.e. using the terminal.
One valuable thing to know, is that most commands one can issue in the CLI can be used to get help on how to use them. For the p7zip command, for example, simply type after the command prompt ($)

$ man p7zip
$ p7zip --help

The former gives extensive explanations on every available option (often very long to read).
The latter gives a summary, easier to read, which is often sufficient.

If you prefer using  a "Graphic User Interface" (GUI), you might consider using Ark. If you right-click on a zip file, Ark is likely to be an option to open it. I believe that p7zip isn't enabled by default in Ark. To enable it, in ark menu:
- Configuration > Configure Ark... > External modules
- check P7zip

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

#7 2023-09-02 14:21

naranja

SOLVED! Yes, with Ark I can open .zip files. I saw in the external modules I can open all files. Thank you very much hchiper.

Let me try to ask a desire to Q4OS Team. It would be very desirable to have a bit more apps in the application gallery, more browsers, file compressors, wine,... because on the console, not all apps work. Thank you.

#8 2023-09-02 16:17

Rademes

Almost all applications, which are compatible with Debian Bookworm will work on Q4OS Aquarius. You can look in their websites for their compatibility with Linux Debian. For example SoftMaker FreeOffice: https://www.freeoffice.com/en/download/applications
Also, you can install Synaptic Package Manager from Q4OS Software Centre, and install necessary applications from Synaptic.
Just keep in mind, that nowadays, a lot of applications does not work on 32-bit hardware!

Last edited by Rademes (2023-09-02 16:19)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

Board footer