You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-10 16:42

carugnom

Save desktop configuration

When I start using Trinity, I select an initial theme (from the Look Switcher), but then I start changing some configurations of he desktop (panels, keyboard shortcuts, etc)

If I want to try another theme, I frist go to the Theme Manager and select Create New Theme, to save my current desktop configuration with a name.
So I test the new theme and decide to go back to my configuration
But that does not seem to work well... when I select ny "custom theme" again, almost nothing of my configuration is restored back

So I lose my configuration work and time (angry time)
Sounds like if you configure your desktop, you can not change to another Look without losing your work

Is it really that way or is there any way for this to work

Regards,

---
Edit by Admin: Considered as a bug, tracking https://sourceforge.net/p/q4os/tickets/192/

Last edited by q4osteam (2022-11-11 15:07)

#2 2022-11-10 21:33

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Save desktop configuration

carugnom wrote:

I frist go to the Theme Manager and select Create New Theme, to save my current desktop configuration with a name.

As far as we know it\s the only way to save a custom theme under Trinity desktop. We can only recommend you to save and restore the following directories to get your TDE settings back:
$HOME/.configtde/
$HOME/.trinity/

#3 2022-11-11 07:09

bin

I've had a quick fiddle with this and it does look like something is adrift.

Using Theme Manager rather than Look Switcher:-
Select a theme>Apply>Logout/in
Go to Theme Manager>Create New Theme>Name it>new theme e.g.
Select new theme and then customise
Log out in
Theme Manager select a built in theme and apply
Log out in
Select new theme and its messed up - and sometimes the original theme is also messed up. usually the Q4OS menu is gone and replaced with standard TDE.

I wonder if there's and issue with the theme tool and the config redirections in Q4OS?

#4 2022-11-11 10:48

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bin wrote:

I wonder if there's and issue with the theme tool and the config redirections in Q4OS?

Yes, we are aware the Trinity Theme Manager doesn't work quite good in Q4OS, however it has some issues in pure Trinity desktop as well. We consider it a Q4OS bug, so it will be addressed in a new bug report.

#5 2022-11-11 13:42

carugnom

Thank you for considering as a bug to address
By the way, the workaround of saving the config directories seems to work

#6 2022-11-13 07:18

bin

Looking at the way the XPQ4 addon works suggests that the developer(s) ran into a similar problem when trying to create their themes.
In the end the method they used was to create each theme as a compressed file which is then used to over write the existing theme. This explains why changes to an XPQ4 theme are not retained. If you customise the win7 theme, change to win10 then go back to win7 it will not be your custom version.
I think this could point the way for an interesting project for someone with the skills though. Since the theme is just stored in a compressed file it should be possible to add a little extra code to allow the current setup to be saved for restoration later. This was very much what Dai_trying did a while back with his backup code.

#7 2023-05-18 11:24

mww

При выносе на рабочий стол иконок программ и последующей замене оболочки на рабочем столе остаются не рабочие иконки. Это верно для 4.12 и для тестовой версии 5. Вроде пустяк, но это недоработка.
When removing program icons to the desktop and then replacing the shell, non-working icons remain on the desktop. This is true for 4.12 and for test version 5. It seems like a trifle, but this is a flaw.

#8 2023-05-18 11:30

mww

При выносе на рабочий стол иконок... Точнее - При перемещении на рабочий стол иконок...
When bringing icons to the desktop... More precisely, when moving icons to the desktop...

#9 2023-05-18 14:30

hchiper

Icons (do you mean shortcuts?) a user creates on his desktop to start programs are not removed when the programs are uninstalled. This is no flaw: how could an uninstaller know about a shortcut created by a user after install? The user has to remove these shortcuts himself.

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

#10 2023-05-19 06:46

bin

It is also worth noting that in Q4OS the desktop launchers created when software is installed are owned by root - not the user.

#11 2023-07-30 23:21

Rademes

carugnom wrote:

So I test the new theme and decide to go back to my configuration

I know, it is too late, but I always create a full system backup using Timeshift, before testing something. Timeshift can be easily installed from Q4OS Software Centre.

Last edited by Rademes (2023-07-30 23:23)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

Board footer