You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-01 17:21

ragu1729

Switch from Plasma desktop to trinity without loosing data

Hi Team,

I have installed Q4OS and was working fine. but nowadays feels UI lags and hangs frequently. also freezes often and has to forcefully restart system. Is it possible to switch from Plasma desktop to trinity without loosing data just like we install Gnome desktops. Please provide exact steps to follow and links if any for the same.
System specifications as below.

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 11
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.78.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.10.0-16-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 2 × Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.66GHz
Memory: 1.9 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa DRI Intel® 945G

#2 2022-08-02 08:03

bin

Re: Switch from Plasma desktop to trinity without loosing data

This depends on a number of factors.
a. Simple method - use Desktop Profiler to install Trinity Desktop - then choose that session on login screen
b. Longer method - if you do not have a separate /home - back up your data and re-install
c. Longer method - if you DO have a separate /home then you can just reinstall using Trinity with Re-Use home option.
However you may want to keep your /home clean of any Plasma config stuff - one way is to boot from live Trinity install, mount your /home ptn and use Konsole 'sudo mv yourhomefoldername oldstuff' - this will just rename your old /home folder.
Clean install with re-use home option then just move your data from oldstuff to your new home and then delete the oldstuff folder.

#3 2022-08-03 07:18

ragu1729

Hi bin,

I would like to try simple method. i hope then i can switch between the desktop profiles before login. also does it impact the performance of system? i hope only the chosen profile gets loaded into RAM.
Do you know any side effects for this approach? could you please guide me on how to install and do this? please provide the commands and if any links available

#4 2022-08-03 08:17

bin

You will find the Desktop Profiler in Software Centre - top right. Just check box to say you want to do it, pick Trinity Desktop from the list of possibles and go.
On completion I would restart.
If you are using auto login you'll find yourself back in Plasma so log out and choose TDE from the session menu.
There are no real downsides to this, and you can uninstall the Plasma stuff afterwards - there are tips about this in the forum - just search.
As with any big change - do make sure you have a backup of your personal data.
After you've logged in to TDE the first thing to do is open Konsole and enter 'sudo kcmodules --unlock' to give you access to all the UI configuration tools.

#5 2022-08-04 14:54

ragu1729

Thank you so much.. am at middle of some urgent tasks for university submission. will try this once completed ! smile

#6 2022-08-07 09:31

ragu1729

I installed Trinity and works smoothly.. Thanks for the suggestions

Board footer