You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-14 18:56

JSM
Banned

Files are not opened in applications

Hi

For some time I have had the problem that certain file types are not opened in the corresponding application. For other file types it works.

Some example:

A txt file is opened correctly in the KWrite when I double click the file. So KWrite is started and the file is displayed. That's good.

A table gnumeric, on the other hand, opens Gnumeric, but the file is not displayed. I then have to open the file again in Gnumeric.

An html file only opens the browser (Opera), but is not displayed. If I use ctrl-o in Opera, I can open the file, but the corresponding css file is not loaded. If I select Konquerer with right click to open an html, then it works correctly.

Where can I check these settings? In both cases (gnumeric and html) it worked correctly some time ago, now not anymore.

#2 2022-07-14 19:23

JSM
Banned

Re: Files are not opened in applications

I have a theme folder and a css folder, on the same level, which is the home level of my website project. So I did this /css/style.css. I thought it goes back to the home folder and then to the css folder. But obviously this does not work with local files, because the home is much higher up. So I changed it in ../css/style.css and now it works.

The other problem, that I could not open an html file directly with Opera, is apparently related to Q4OS. I had html files opened as standard with KWrite (text editor). But if I then click on the right and select Opera, only Opera opens, but the file is not displayed. If I set html as the default to Opera, then it works. It is interesting that then right click and KWrite also works.

Also gnumeric is now working fine, after I right clicked it and set Gnumeric as standard for gnumeric files. But something is still strange, as gnumeric was opening the app Gnumeric, so it was standard, but didn't show the file.

Last edited by JSM (2022-07-14 19:24)

#3 2022-07-14 22:06

JSM
Banned

Unfortunately, I have the same problem again after a reboot! Something is not saved correctly? Does it have something to do with "File associations"?

I hope someone can explain to me how to solve this problem.

#4 2022-07-15 00:10

JSM
Banned

The problem is getting worst!

I now get an error message at gnumeric:

"The specified location is not supported"

I then removed the application in "File Associations" at gnumeric, saved everything and made a reboot. Then I clicked on a gnumeric file and was able to select the application. But the error persists!

How should I proceed to solve this problem?

#5 2022-07-15 01:31

JSM
Banned

Some test results:

1. I am using "File Associations" and remove the app Gnumeric, apply and ok.
2. Turn off the computer and start new.
3. Start the app Gnumeric and open the file from the app. Close the app.
4. Go to "File Associations" and put the app Gnumeric inside, apply.
5. Click on edit and see "Application", scroll to x-gnumeric and click on "Advaced options", it is set "Enable launch feedback" and DCOP registration "NONE"
6. Click on OK and on apply again, close "File Associations"
7. Double click a gnumeric file in the file manager and the file is opening fine in the Gnumeric app!
8. Turn off the computer and start new.
9. Double click a gnumeric file in the file manager and I get "The specified location is not supported"

So something is not stored fine, I think. Please take not, that without step 3 it is NOT working and I get the error "The specified location is not supported" before a reboot when I try to open a Gnumeric file with double click. It needs step 3. Why?

I hope this test results will help you to find out, what is going wrong.

#6 2022-07-15 06:51

bin

The important question here is:-
Are you using KDE Plasma or TDE Trinity
Konqueror TDE and Dolphin Plasma file managers are different beast.
File associations are the important bit.
Normally Right Click>Open With>Locate application in list>Tick box - Use this as default (or similar wording) does the trick

#7 2022-07-15 14:58

JSM
Banned

I am using TDE Trinity and Dolphin

As you can see in my posts, it is working fine with some files, like txt, no problems. I think, that the changes are stored in a kind of temporay file, so they can work fine in the session. Then, when I shut down the computer, the new settings should be saved in the default file and this is not working fine. It can be the code that is not good, or it can be a corrupt default file, that is not more to overwrite.

The actions with right click are defently working less good then the manipulation in "File Associations". How can I delet and reinstall the files, that could be the probem? How can I reinstall "File Associations", without a complete new installaion of Q4OS? The problem I have since a longer time.

Last edited by JSM (2022-07-15 14:59)

#8 2022-07-16 01:08

JSM
Banned

When I use Krusader, all file types open correctly.

#9 2022-07-16 07:34

bin

I know this won't help - but on a clean install of Basic Trinity system followed by --no-install-recommends installation of both dolphin-trinity and gnumeric it all works as expected. Dbl click on .gnumeric or .xls in dolphin and it opens in gnumeric.

Did you install dolphin or dolphin-trinity? Dolphin would have dragged in huge amounts of KDE stuff as well.

Not sure where you are getting the

5. Click on edit and see "Application", scroll to x-gnumeric and click on "Advaced options", it is set "Enable launch feedback" and DCOP registration "NONE"

from.

Opening File Associations via Control Centre I get https://imgur.com/wgIVaaU

The normal way of correcting these issues is just to use Konqueror. Right Click > Open With> Locate application in menus > Tick Remember Application Association...>OK

#10 2022-07-16 15:51

JSM
Banned

I have dolphin-trinity.

Step 5 you get, if you are in "File Associations" on gnumeric and then click on the app Gnumeric and then edit.

If I use Konqueror to set the app, it works fine, also then in Dolphin, but just for the current session.

I think that between Dolphin and File Associations there is a problem. Some settings are not saved well, for example. I will try to reinstall Dolphine and also try to use the normal Dolphine, not Trinity. Just sometimes it is tricky, as a reinstall does not remove all the files.

With Krusader it works all very fine and it is a good filemanager. Konqueror I don't like so much, and for any reason it is not starting the Opera, if I like to open a html in Opera. No errror message to see, it's just not starting.

Ok, I will install Dolphine new, both versions, and see, if the things are getting normal again.

#11 2022-07-16 20:16

JSM
Banned

After the reinstallations:

I uninstalled dolphin-trinity and then deleted all folders and files that start with d3l*.

Then newstart.

Then dolphin-trinity new installed. The following error message:

E: mariadb-common: installed mariadb-common package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
E: libmariadb3: 71.6814:dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: libamarok-trinity: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: amarok-engine-xine-trinity: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: amarok-trinity: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Still the same problem with gnumeric files:

"The specified location is not supported"

Ok, I'll leave it at that, because I can work very well with Krusader, I like it. And I also installed and tested dolphin (the original), it works perfectly. So I also have this alternative. Or I just live with the fact that dolphin-trinity does not want to open my gnumeric file and I have to open it from the app.

If at some point there is a solution to the problem, maybe someone can send me a message in the forum, because I have turned off email notification.

#12 2022-07-17 07:47

bin

Installed Opera using Q4OS installer.
Open Default Applications>Set Web Browser to Opera
Locate html file in Konq> Rt Click>Open With>Opera>Tick to set as default
Dolphin or Konqueror dbl click HTML file> Opens in Opera.

I am sorry but I do not know what you have done to your system.

#13 2022-07-20 15:40

JSM
Banned

It is definitely Dolphin-Trinity that has the problem, which a new installation has proved. All other available file managers work perfectly, including Dolphin Original.

Board footer