You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-30 08:34

atolstoy

Unable to boot from USB in EFI mode

Hello everyone!
I've been having a good time using Q4OS 4.8 with Plasma desktop inside VirtualBox for a while, and so I made up my mind to install it on a bare metal. That PC had GB H310N motherboard with built-in Intel graphics.
I downloaded q4os-4.8-x64.r1.iso and wrote it on my USB 3.1 thumb drive with dd. However, I wasn't able to boot from that driver later on since the system complained on not finding the mmx64.efi bootloader. Like this:

Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi: Not Found
Failed to start MokManager: Not Found
Something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed

uIXdCgx.jpg

Googling around made me discover that I should rename the grubx64.efi file to mmx64.efi on my USB boot drive. However, I wasn't able to do that since the drive contained the iso9660 file system and only mounted as read-only. I then tried to unpack the Q4OS iso, modify it as stated above and repack it back using mkisofs, but that rendered the USB unbootable at all.

The issue has nothing to do with Secure boot - it was all disabled all the way long.
I also never had any issues booting other Linux flavours in EFI mode before (as a distro hopper I did it dozens of times).

So the question is how can I boot (and possibly install) Q4OS on my UEFI system?

#2 2022-07-01 13:24

Midas

Re: Unable to boot from USB in EFI mode

I seems to me this a BIOS boot error: the machine has UEFI mode active but no EFI store location can be found by the install disk.

I'd try disabling UEFI in BIOS to see if the problem went away and proceed from there.

You could also try to create the install USB with Rufus -- it works for me every time.

Board footer