You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-05 12:04

stevej

Safe to delete user created during install?

Hi, I'm using Q4OS with the KDE Plasma desktop. I have installed it on a laptop which I now want to give to someone else.

I have created the new owner as a new user of type "administrator". I found that the new user was not a member of the same list of groups as the user created during the installation so I used usermod to add them to the missing groups. So now the new user is a member of all the same groups as the original user created during the installation process.

My question is: is it now safe to delete the original user? (The one created during the installation).

Just to be clear: both users are administrators and both are now members of the following list of groups:
Their own group - the one with their own user name,
then cdrom, floppy, sudo, audio, dip, video, plugdev, users, netdev, bluetooth, lpadmin, scanner.
Oh, and the new user was already created as a member of dialout - which the original user was not.

I would much prefer to delete the original user before giving the laptop to its new owner but don't want to do this if there is more I need to do to make the new user have all the same rights, privileges and powers as the old one. I'm not trying to share home folders or anything like that - I just want it to be as if the new owner had installed Q4OS themselves.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

#2 2022-05-05 12:12

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Safe to delete user created during install?

Yes, deleting the first user is a safe action, however you need to understand consequences. You also need to take care about the data of the user to be deleted.

#3 2022-05-05 12:49

stevej

Thank you very much.

The user to be deleted doesn't have any data. This is because I knew when I installed the laptop that it was going to be given to someone I just didn't know who it would be. So I made a user up to do the installation. Now I do know who is going to have it so have created a new administrator type user as described in my question. The installation was never used to do anything, so when I delete the original user there isn't any data to lose.

Are there any other consequences other than the removal of the deleted user's home folder and sub-folders?

Last edited by stevej (2022-05-05 12:59)

#4 2022-05-05 13:02

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Depends on system configurations you have performed. By the default Q4OS configuration, you should be safe with deleting the first user and using another one within the same groups membership and "sudo" permissions. We don't see any other limitations at the moment.

#5 2022-05-05 13:09

stevej

That's really great, thank you very much.

Board footer