You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-03 20:39

DaveP

Grub time out far too fast

Hi, I have just done a new install of Q4OS on a 32 bit system (Lenovo), the system has a good old DOS partition of 500MB and the rest of the H/D (500GB) is Linux ext4 with /, home, & swap.  During the install I was not prompted for a Admin password.
On booting the system Grub is displayed for too short a time to react and press any selection,  Using SU to attempt configuring Grub, the password that I set during the install Fails (half expected)  Normally I need the system to start DOS and Linuxx only if selected in Grub.   Am I able to achieve this ?, if so how.    Any help most welcome. DaveP..

#2 2022-01-03 21:57

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Grub time out far too fast

Use "sudo" command to get root permissions.

#3 2022-01-04 16:11

DaveP

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I am not familiar with sudo, as against su, but using it in a console results in a load of text, but completes with the same prompt, I then started Konqueror from the console, but it does not give me root access. so any Grub file that's modified cannot be saved.  so still up a gum tree as they say.   DaveP..

#4 2022-01-05 09:56

bin

There are different ways to do this.

Simplest is probably:-

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Change GRUB_TIMEOUT=n to a value you require - 2 is 2 seconds but it's up to you.
Crtl o then Enter to save - that's letter o not zero
Ctrl x to quit nano
sudo update-grub

Reboot and enjoy

#5 2022-01-05 12:22

DaveP

Hi, Many thanks for the reply, All sorted now. A small point, after exit from nano, update-grub in the console resulted in a "command not found", however closing the console then restarting it followed by sudo etc/default/grub worked Ok.
So all good now. Many Thanks  DaveP..

Board footer