You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-17 22:46

bobby
Website

Q4OS Installer - possible to run Bash Code / Bash Script ?

Is it possible to use the Q4OS Installer to just run bash terminal commands to install applications. Applications from the debian repository using apt-get already have their own short cut on the menu and create their own uninstaller.  I am sure this is possible but, even after following instructions I have not figured out how to do it.

Is it possible for Q4OS Installer to run these commands or have it execute a bash script to run these commands:

mkdir $HOME/Documents/installers/ssr

cd $HOME/Documents/installers/ssr

wget http://q4os.net/installers/simplescreenrecorder.zip

unzip simplescreenrecorder.zip
        --Archive:  simplescreenrecorder.zip
        --inflating: setup_q4os-simplescreenrecorder_1.1-a1_all.esh

dash setup_q4os-simplescreenrecorder_1.1-a1_all.esh

Thanks for your help.

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#2 2016-02-17 23:48

Dai_trying

Re: Q4OS Installer - possible to run Bash Code / Bash Script ?

I have to say Bobby I think you are making esh file installation a little over complicated, If you just have the esh file available for download (without being zipped) a user coulld just double click the downloaded file and it gets insalled. Unless I'm missing something?

Dai

#3 2016-02-18 01:05

bobby
Website

*.esh files can not be stored on most web servers without either being Zipped or special configuration. The browser does not know what to do with a *.esh file natively. I  could build a Joomla Website and use a Download Extension to allow users click and download *.esh files. Its not as simple as hosting files on Sourceforge.net.  I want to host *.esh files on any webserver.  I want to host them on my own Apache2 Webserver and not have to build a Joomla Website just to be able to download a *.esh file or have to zip these files.

Then consider this, There are *.esh files at Q4OS Sourceforge.net Page;  *.esh files on XPQ4 Sourceforge.net page and *.esh files on my q4os.net Page. So a user now has to browse 3 different (or more) pages to find Q4OS custom installers.

Sure, if the *.esh files were zipped the user can just:

1. Go to the Website (1 of 4 or more)

2. Download the file to a folder

3. Double Click the File

4. Drag the *.esh file out or Right Click --> Copy

5. Go back out of the Zipped file: Right Click --> Paste

6. Double click the *.esh file to install the Q4OS Installer Program.

Or they can just Click My Installer and it is all automatically done as in 1., 2., 3, 4., 5, & 6. 

My Point is this: If users can just get up and running;  enjoy all the benefits of  programs and not have to spend a bunch of time using like 6 different steps to install a program. Well, what is wrong with making it very, very, very easy for those new to Linux Q4OS ?

Last edited by bobby (2016-02-18 01:06)

No Longer Using Q4OS

#4 2016-02-18 01:32

Dai_trying

One option is to tell the user to right click and then "save link as" that will download no problem. But I do see your point. I think browsing a few sites to get the files is something all users already know, downloading the same, even the right click to "save link as" is quite widely used now on music sites, they state to play a file click or to save file right click and "save link as" ...
I did just do a quick check on that and it does work without issue.
One option might be to offer to host a link to all the .esh files on your website and the user can just right click them all from one page.

Dai

#5 2016-02-18 09:04

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bobby wrote:

Is it possible for Q4OS Installer to run these commands or have it execute a bash script to run these commands ...

No, it's not possible, you have to create a separate script for this. The right deal with .esh files is to download the file from a website and run/doubleclick it from filemanager. If you want the .esh to be downloaded directly, you need to create '.htaccess' file in the related directory on your webserver:

<FilesMatch "\.(?i:esh)$">
  ForceType application/octet-stream
  Header set Content-Disposition attachment
  Header set Content-Description File-Transfer
</FilesMatch>

#6 2016-02-18 10:45

bobby
Website

@Q4OS Team, Thank you for your help. I will use this method to allow downloading of *.esh files from my website.

No Longer Using Q4OS

Board footer