You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-01 16:44

DAC324

Q4OS Gemini (4.7.1-n1) - nvidia-driver and/or kernel packages broken

Hello all,

At first, happy new year to everybody.

Second, I am a bit surprised that apparently, nobody has experienced the same issue (see below).

I am running Q4OS Gemini (4.7.1-n1) with the (from a Debian perspective) shiny new kernel 4.19.0-1.

As recommended by `nvidia-detect`, I tried to install the `nvidia-driver` package but this fails. Here is the interesting part from the logs:

Compiler version check failed:

The major and minor number of the compiler used to compile the kernel:

gcc version 8.2.0 (Debian 8.2.0-13)

does not match the compiler used here:

gcc (Debian 10.2.1-6) 10.2.1 20210110

The log recommends setting the environment variable `IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH` to "1" but unfortunately, this does not seem to help.

I tried
export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH="1"
followed by
apt install nvidia-driver but the error remains - it looks like this environment variable is ignored by both apt and make.

Not surprisingly, adding IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 to /etc/environment and rebooting, does not help, either.

As a consequence, the graphical desktop now fails to load.

What can I do to fix that?

UPDATE: Looks like you will have to search for an updated kernel manually. Simply upgrading Q4OS (as per instructions from the forum here https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.ph … 058#p22058 ) is not enough as this does not upgrade the kernel - it remains at 4.19 despite of 5.10 being available in the repository.

There should be some mechanism of preventing an installation of the nvidia-driver when a kernel prior to 5.10 is being used.

Thank you very much and kind regards.

Last edited by DAC324 (2022-01-01 17:25)

Board footer