You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-14 05:37

bobby
Website

What is the Linux flavor of the Month ?

Today I attended a Linux Group meeting in my area. It was a small group of 3 + Me. These were all older people in their late 40s - 50s.

What I heard about why people need to just stay with Ubummer and no need to check out anything else was shocking. I have heard this same argument from other people when it comes to those who already known the ends and outs of Linux. I won't judge but, the attitudes need to change.

1. People are better off with the large company; with large community support as a smaller company may not be here tomorrow.

2. People who don't understand Terminal Commands have no business installing Apache2 and hosting their own website. Only people who understand network security should run apps like this or be opening ports on their router.

3. The Ubummer 35,000 apps is a must for new users of Linux in order for them to find the exact app they need.

4. Making Linux Look Like Windows does not solve anything (referring to Q4OS).

5. Making Linux act like Windows or automating Linux commands should not be a priority as it won't help move people to Linux.

This was all said, even before I fired up my Laptop to show them Q4OS.

---------------------------------

I know that all Linux users do not feel this way. Its very disheartening to see those who run these Linux Groups focused on "Status Quo" Corporate By-Lines. A key point  made by one of the attendees was this, "How is a company to survive if users do not require help" (in response to full automation of all tasks in Q4OS). 

I don't agree and I told them too. To me the main reason Windows Users will not move to Linux is they have been spoon fed easy Windows without having to run Dos Commands at a Dos Prompt. These people don't want to have to learn - they want it Click & Done.

No Longer Using Q4OS

#2 2016-02-14 14:13

Dai_trying

Re: What is the Linux flavor of the Month ?

Don't be too dis-heartened Bobby, remember you have to take thousands of little steps to climb a mountain!

Dai

#3 2016-02-14 14:45

MC

It makes me think of the old joke;

- How many Psychiatrists does it take to change a light-bulb?
-- One, but it takes a long time and the light-bulb has to want to change.

If they are already running Something Linux and they are happy, great! Let them be happy and eventually they will get distro-curious. It happens to all of us. (Just look at crosscourt's sig. smile )

Stay focused, think positive, and move on to the next group.

Last edited by MC (2016-02-14 14:49)

Q4OS running Xfce

#4 2016-02-14 16:12

CaptNoize
Website

Bobby,
Don't get frustrated by the "nay sayers". There's always someone in the crowd that won't recognize a good solution, to an old problem. Give them time,be persistent and they will come around. Just this past week, I went to my local Toro dealer,where I get my parts,and found that after years of using Winblows, their IT company changed them to Linux,but were running Winblows 7 Pro in a vitural box...! My sales rep there told me that Microslop 10 had been causing them so many problems, that they told there IT company my suggestion, of changing to Linux,and they did...! I don't know which OS they chose,but it's LINUX...! Give it time,Bobby,soon,they'll all wake up...!

Last edited by CaptNoize (2016-02-18 06:40)

#5 2016-02-14 18:22

Seeker

Then what do you think?

If there's someone making Windows >>look like>> Linux & use CLI in reversed.

Are you going to mad at them as well?

#6 2016-02-14 23:51

JimW

CC
Kinda makes you think about what would happen if doctors actually cured people instead of treating the symptoms!

I've been trying to get my sister to drop windows and go to linux for years. But, she is rather stubborn. smile

#7 2016-02-15 03:03

Seeker

What the obstacle that cause you failed to convince girls to Linux?

#8 2016-02-15 04:51

Seeker

That was reminds me about this image 2 years ago.

11110864_10153321757883140_4592309999704868102_n.jpg?oh=131c58746d02eed8c692027c50b372ca&oe=57295FA7

Seeing Win7 stubborn users struggle the black hole till 2020 is like this video music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tVTEyuCKn4

When migrate to Linux this video music came to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gur8ccqrQ9c

#9 2016-02-15 05:13

Seeker

It's profit for you to have "Gaming Knowledge" you're superior than those "non gamers" on Linux.
Anime users are the largest based of Graphic & Gaming users.

Because most Linux users are not gamers so they don't understand what gamers want.
Especially sysadmin they're always speak different language from gamers
All they talk is about server, server blah blah blah & nothing else.

That's why gamers don't move to linux they're not came there to run servers.
They need Linux Gamers to guide them.

#10 2016-02-15 06:15

bobby
Website

Thank You all for your words of encouragement and enlightenment. The picknick graphic above, well, LOL - very funny !

No Longer Using Q4OS

#11 2016-02-15 06:18

Seeker

In fact, I've already found the game resource sites that better than Steam.
I can even Gaming on Linux without rely on Steam.
Right now I've 134 free PC games in my possession.

Have you ever heard about http://gamejolt.com/ ?
This is breeding place for game developers most of them here are free games.
They've more free Linux games than Steam even Linux gamers doesn't know about this place.
I've so many horror, 3D games for free thanks to GameJolt.
While Steam have just 327 free games GameJolt have 854+

When I running Linux first time while other windows refugees struggling with wine or installing steam.
I've already sip a tea & playing GameBoy, GBA, SEGA, PS2, PSP, on Linux on the very first day.
For PC games I've with 10 horror games for first try.
Right now I've fun playing Ragnarok Browser Online on Linux No wine need. big_smile
http://panel.aeva-ro.com/robrowser2k15

Most windows users have forgotten that:
1. Linux support all emulation games as well as Windows. Think about it how many roms they've?
2. There's many game repostories sites out there not just only Steam.
3. Some ppl compiled java Launcher for some Online games such as
https://itdelatrisu.github.io/opsu/

#12 2016-02-15 06:23

Seeker

bobby wrote:

Thank You all for your words of encouragement and enlightenment. The picknick graphic above, well, LOL - very funny !

I'm rooting for your contribution to Q4OS. wink
Sometimes I've very busy about research install stuffs on many OS.

Myself I've been contributive to 1100 cross-platform softwares developers not only OS.
& 500+ cross platform games. All of them support Linux, Win, Mac big_smile

#13 2016-02-15 06:41

bobby
Website

@Seeker, Thank You !

No Longer Using Q4OS

#14 2016-02-15 06:51

bobby
Website

All the words of Wisdom above made something pop in my head - Its called motivation.  It is a way to really push the issue. I for one want Q4OS to:

1. Look and act just like windows.

2. Be just as easy as windows

3. To be the Linux Version that is "as close to Windows as you can get".

So a name was born tonight because of the above comments.

This is not a fork; this is the Gateway for WIndows Users to Q4OS:

http://XPLinux.com

No Longer Using Q4OS

#15 2016-02-16 03:00

Seeker

I've been avoid steam & gog on purpose because when game devs go greenlight  they mostly proprietary games.
Valve's true plan is they want to bring proprietary games to sell on Linux some free game is just a bonus.
There always ask to question of "Will you pay for this game when release?" under the game review.
I can't find any fun free visual novel on steam at all 90% become windows only proprietary games.
So I decide to drop steam & decide to hunt pure freegames outside Steam that's not go for greenlight & able to found it.

These days till now I've been well-trained without rely on wine, playonlinux or steam at all.
I mostly run games with VBA-M, Desmume, PPSSPP, PCSX2, SEGA, Snes9x, Love Engine, Web games,
Cross-platform PC Games. That's why I never suffer of lack games on Linux at all.
Because I've already discover another methods to survive without single drops of wine. tongue
All games that I've been run till now are available both Windows, Mac, Linux.

Last edited by Seeker (2016-02-16 03:56)

#16 2016-02-16 20:59

DavidB
Website

crosscourt wrote:

Youre more experienced but most gamers arent going to want to deal with setup issues and the simpler things are the better. I agree with that, because if we want more people to game on Linux it has to be an easy/enjoyable experience.

Its always about what games you want to play and how easy it is to get them up and working.

Agreed.  Reminds me of the days when X-Wing Fighter came out.  Up until that time, all I used or ever wanted was my Commodore 64 and 128.  But I really wanted to play X-Wing Fighter.  So, I went out and bought my first IBM-PC clone, with Windows 3.1.  Gee, did I jump through a few hoops to get what I needed just to play that game.  But I enjoyed it very much and, to me, it was worth the effort.

Last edited by DavidB (2016-02-16 21:04)

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#17 2016-02-17 07:13

Seeker

crosscourt wrote:

Youre more experienced but most gamers arent going to want to deal with setup issues and the simpler things are the better. I agree with that, because if we want more people to game on Linux it has to be an easy/enjoyable experience.

So woudn't I become useful for them? then.

Since all my methods are simpler just double click & install.
Double click installing stuffs from .deb files is that hard?
Open rom games to play is that hard? load rom & play.

Didn't tell you before? that I've the same stuff on Both Windows/Linux that can install by just double click?

Last edited by Seeker (2016-02-17 11:27)

#18 2016-02-17 18:43

Seeker

crosscourt wrote:

spoon feed them and make it simple across the board

Thanks for exeplifying I've done since the beginning. smile

Board footer