You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-11 11:39

WimH

Windows install slooooowwwww...

I have older Q4OS versions on a few PC's already without trouble, and since my Bmax Mini PC with these specs:

Processor    Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU  N3060  @ 1.60GHz   1.60 GHz
Installed RAM    4.00 GB (3.85 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display
32GB SDD with Win10
120GB SDD  with 56 GB Free

was getting a bit slow and the processor is not supported by Win11 i decided to put the latest Q40S 64 bit version (Gemini/Plasma) on it.Tried the live disk, no problems there. This time I opted to keep my Win10 installation and go for the dual boot. Decided to use the "easy" way , the windows installer. I was asked to reserve 20GB on the  120MB drive for it, but decided to extend that to 32 GB. From then on , things went awkward. Extending the imode table took more than half a day. The installation then finally continued but after my first login i just got a black screen with a cursor. After a few restarts I finally got a color screen and after another restart a KDE plasma screen where I could , albeit in slow motion, start the desktop profiler which continues in slow motion until it finally gets stuck on a line "fetched 42 MB in 52 seconds" or similar.  Mouse pointer still moves, but whenthe profiler gets stuckstuck I cannot move its window or scroll anymore. the "progress" line still moves too. Tried several times, but I always get stuck at the same point, even hours later. When not using the profiler, I do get the desktop, but can do about one mouse "click" every minute, which is very much worse than my Win10! Decided to uninstall, that only took a few seconds luckily. Any idea what the problem could be, I do not flle confident to wipe my win10 install even though the live version runs without a hitch...

Last edited by WimH (2021-10-15 15:45)

#2 2021-10-15 15:16

WimH

Re: Windows install slooooowwwww...

Ok, no suggestion or explanations....

So I bit the bullet and installed (TDE version 64 bit) from the live disk, that went ok, everything, well almost, is working as it should and I can still boot into windows.
One "quirk" I have encountered before on earlier versions also. I'm using a "Belgian" keyboard on this PC but for my first password after booting apparently it still uses the English keyboard. During install my Belgian keyboard was used when entering the password , I checked. Will now try rebooting and see if the problem persists...

edit : it does! I seem to remember I could add a keyb=BE line somewhere as a workaround, but not where exactly  I may have had the same problem in Ubuntu some time ago...

Last edited by WimH (2021-10-15 15:44)

Board footer