You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-12 05:24

DavidB
Website

Setting Up Multiple Virtual Desktops

The question I saw was, how to set up multiple desktops in the Q4OS / Trinity desktop environment.

I did it like this:

1) Launch the Control Panel and go to Desktop > Multiple Desktops and select how many virtual desktops you wish to have.

You can then set up a couple ways of switching desktops:

2a) Add a desktop switch applet to your taskbar by right-mouse clicking on the taskbar and select Add Applet to Panel.  If the taskbar is locked, un-lock it first, then choose the Add Applet to Panel option.

2b) In the pop-up window that appears, select the Desktop Pager / Switcher app, then click the Add To Panel button.

3a) Configure a keyboard shortcut by launching the Control Panel and go to Regional & Accessibility > Keyboard Shotcuts.

3b) Under the Global Shortcuts tab, scroll down the list of commands and find Switch To Next Desktop under the Desktop Switching heading.

3c) Click the button next to the Custom option and assign the keyboard combination you wish to use to switch your desktops.

3d) Click the OK button to save.

Hope this helps!

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#2 2015-12-12 05:45

DavidB
Website

Re: Setting Up Multiple Virtual Desktops

crosscourt wrote:

JimW should be interested in this, but didnt the original KDE 3.5 have a set of desktop icons in the task bar that could be clicked to switch desktops? It may be a hidden feature still as the devs have pointed out many from KDE that can be used.

Yeah, this was for JimW.  smile

I thought the desktop pager was the "icons".  Oh well, it seems to work in a similar fashion.  You can click on the squares, within the applet, to switch desktops.   And you can either configure them to show numbers or tiny thumbnails of the windows on that particular virtual desktop.  You can also configure their arrangement.

It's been a while since I've used KDE 3.x, so I'm probably just not remembering the icons you've mentioned.

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#3 2015-12-12 12:35

JimW

Thanks DavidB. That worked! At least it worked on the virtual box install, so I assume it will work on the laptop. What I've got now is a "window" along the task bar for each desktop. What I was looking for was the single icon that when clicked would allow you to select the desktop. But, this will work just fine!

#4 2015-12-12 15:36

DavidB
Website

You're welcome, Jim.  Glad it helped somewhat.  For the life of me, I can't seem to recall that desktop selector.  Going to have to do some searching on that to refresh my memory.

Board footer